Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Digital Albums GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Color: White|Style Name: Microwave Popcorn Popper|Change
Price:$7.84+ Free shipping (Addon item)

Showing 1-10 of 3,450 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,830 reviews
on July 28, 2012
I wanted to make my own herb spiced popcorn and decided to get back to popping my own popcorn. After reading most microwave popcorn bags in the store you are horrified at the fat and salt content. I've also become addicted to some local commercial products such as Little Lads Herbal Corn that I wanted to see if I could make my own. Years ago I had a microwave popper but it required oil and created a real mess.

This popper works so simply and pops over 85% of the corn every time. Other reviews mention the popper getting hot but this would be expected with the steam produced by the corn when it explodes. You will need to use pot holder when you take it from the microwave. My popcorn sensor works pretty well on the microwave but you still need to carefully monitor when the corn stops. Typically 3 minutes will pop your corn and be sure to measure exactly 1/3 cup of corn. I just then wipe out the popper with a paper towel since there is minimal mess. You will never buy commercial microwave popcorn again! Like air popped corn if you want seasoning to stick you need to add some sort of oil after cooking and before spicing. I like to use spray olive oil to make a light coat then toss the corn in a bag with spices. My only suggestion to the manufacturer is that they make the lid a little more elegant. It really just rests on top of the popper and at first you aren't sure it is the correct place, not a big deal but would be more ideal if it clicked into position.

I haven't cracked Little Lad's Recipe yet but based on others efforts I've come up with this combination that works pretty well:

nutritional yeast - 1/4 cup
dry dill - 2 teaspoonfuls
salt - 1/2 tsp
onion powder - 1/2 tsp
garlic powder - 1/2 tsp
on February 8, 2016
I absolutely love this popcorn popper. And I eat a lot of popcorn and have used many different poppers including the Whirly Popper, Presto Air Popper, the Stir Crazy and now the Nordic Ware Microwave Popcorn Popper.

One of my favorite ways to make a more decadent snack is to use 1 Tbsp. of Snappy's Colored Coconut Oil, 1/3 cup of Snappy White Popcorn and 1/2 tsp of Flavocol popcorn salt and it is fantastic but there are many different ways to make great popcorn in this popper.

Another great thing about this popper is that it is so easy to clean.

Much too hot when it comes out of Microwave to be used as a serving bowl though.
on July 10, 2017
This is another classic idea from Nordic Ware. Using plain popcorn kernals of your own choosing, make hot and fluffy popcorn in about 3 minutes in your microwave (depending on the wattage of your machine).

No pouches that emit thick smells of what we have come to expect popcorn to smell like. Easier to monitor for doneness, and to stop the microwave before the popcorn burns. Choose your vavorite variety of popcorn and toppings you like.

The bowl wipes out quickly and is lightweight. The lid will rise with the popping corn, and allows the steam to release for crispy snacking.

This is a replacement for one I had for more than 30 years. My then 3 yr old nephew wouldn't believe it was real popcorn as I poured the kernals into the bowl because it wasn't in a tri-fold packet.

A great value for an all American treat.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon May 15, 2014
HOW WELL DOES IT WORK?
> The Nordicware Popcorn popper does the job---a high percentage of the corn pops, and tastes great.
> But, while waiting for the popper I popped corn in a glass mixing bowl, coincidentally of about the same size and shape with a glass casserole cover (which coincidentally fits perfectly), and it worked just as well. I would be just as happy with my glass bowl---but my wife is one of those folks who thinks you need special bowls to serve olives (and that you cannot pop popcorn any anything other than a "designated" popcorn popper).
> IN SHORT---the Nordicware Popcorn popper works---but there is nothing special about the design, nor that of any other microwave popcorn popper. The brand of popcorn, the age of the popcorn, how it was stored, and other factors are much more important than the popper.
> Dishwasher safe.

SAFETY---especially important if children make their own popcorn.
> The plastic lip of the The Nordicware Popcorn popper remains cool enough to take it out of the microwave with your fingers---a safety plus.
> The bottom of the Nordicware Popcorn popper gets hot, so it is important to handle it by the lip.
> The Nordicware Popcorn popper is plastic---safer with kids than glass.

DEGASSING?
> I also worry about degassing (of toxic plasticizing esters, etc.) and have replaced all my other plastic microwave cookware with glass. The body of the Nordicware Popcorn popper is probably mostly inert material (such as white clay) "glued" together in a hard plastic matrix---so degassing is probably a minor issue. The top is soft plastic, for which degassing may be a concern. In any case, you can probably degas / leach-out 90% of the esters (etc.) simply by running the popper though your dishwasher a couple of times.

INSTRUCTIONS
> When I first opened the package I was dismayed by the lack of any instructions. Actually there ARE instructions printed on the underside of the cardboard band, but you've got to cut the band in half to open it up, and even then the instructions are printed in small type on the raw brown cardboard surface---not something you're likely to cut out and tape to the inside of a kitchen cabinet for reference.
> If you didn't find the instructions, here they are:
---Place 1/3 cup of popcorn kernels in the bowl, and optionally 1 tablespoon of oil, and microwave 2-5 minutes until popping slows to 1 pop very 2 seconds. Most recipes call for 1/2 teaspoon salt.

RECOMMENDATIONS
> I recommend coconut oil. I use Barlean's Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, 16-Ounce Jar.
> I add 1 teaspoon of salt.
> A 1/3 cup scoop makes things simple- I use American Metalcraft MCW13 1/3-Cup Stainless Steel Measuring Cup with Wire Loop Handle It's so cheap $1.90 with free shipping, that you really should order one along with the popper.
> Stop popping on the early side for best flavor (to avoid scorching). By the time the popping is less than continuous there are only a few dozen unpopped kernels remaining. A dozen or so unpopped kernals cost nothing---this is not the time to get cheap. If a significant portion of the popped corn is scorched, reduce the popping time next time. If you feel that there are too many unpopped kernels, then try another brand of popcorn next time.

> Click on “Stoney” just below the product title to see my other reviews, or leave a comment to ask a question.
on February 24, 2017
I was over at a friend's house one night when she pulled out this popcorn bowl and changed my life. I never make popcorn at home because I dislike the oiliness of microwave popcorn. This is an AIRPOP microwave popcorn bowl. Wow, mind blown! We don't need our airpop machine anymore! I bought one that night. We have used it several times since then and I'm in love. It's so easy!
on March 20, 2017
well I got mine.. washed it and popped my first batch... it burned ..( stood right there and listened for it to stop popping) had to throw it out... so decided to try again... the second time there was a bunch right in the middle that was stuck together and was burned.. some of the rest was brown looking.... I took out the burned pieces and ate the rest.. I used 1/3 cup which is what the directions say to use.. I think next time I will try 1/4 cup instead... I did not use any oils. I got this popper to make healthier popcorn (without the oil)... I have been making really good popcorn on the stove but thought this would be better.. as of right now the stove popcorn is lighter and pops bigger.. I will try this popper again in hopes that I can get good popcorn from it.. will update later UPDATE: well this was a waste of money... I am now back to popping my popcorn on the stove..
on April 8, 2015
The first time I used this popper, red came off on the napkin I was using. The popper was new and was washed before using. I've had a white one of these previously and I bought another white one for my son for Christmas. But now I'm concerned that the plastic is unfit for microwave use and could be unsafe. No part of a microwave container should rub off or get into food cooked in it. I would never have known if I hadn't replaced my white one with a red one. I don't know if its melting or leeching, but it is not right that a napkin rubbed on the container would turn red. I've thrown out the two recently purchased.
on January 31, 2016
I was reminded by a friend just how bad microwave, bagged popcorn was. I heard those claims before but with the frequency that I eat the bagged stuff, I knew I wasn't making a healthy choice and needed to change. My air popper is messy because the kernels fly everywhere plus, I have to stand there with Tupperware bowl in hand waiting on the production. Because I didn't need another cup, plate, or bowl filling my cabinets, I decided to try my glass Pyrex bowl first. It was very hot after the cooking cycle. I used oven mitts to carry it into the living room. I cold feel the heat even through the thick mitts. The Pyrex bowl held the heat in the glass longer than I thought. It took me 3/4 of the way through eating my popcorn before it cooled to the touch. I did this about 4-5 times but knew I'd eventually drop the bowl in transport due to either the heat or no edges to carry it so I ordered the Nordic. I was considering the rubber fold-away model I saw here on Amazon but the price was about three times more expensive. I got my Nordic popper today (4 days after ordering it) and used it immediately. It does what it says. It comes out hotter than I thought but grabbing the edges eliminate any difficulties. This bowl isn't anywhere near Pyrex hot but it was hot where the popcorn cooked. Even if you touch in this area, it's not like you'll have to either set it down quickly or drop it out right to save a burn. This area cools quickly. The lid has an easy to grab top that didn't retain any heat. Grabbing by the nice, wide edges at the top will allow ease for taking it out of the microwave and transporting it where ever you want with no oven mitts or hot plate. I'm glad I bought it. It's exactly what I was looking for and under $10.
on July 22, 2014
I don't usually write reviews, but this is awesome! We are a family that LOVES popcorn. With 4 kids we would eat at least a bag or two at one sitting. It was getting expensive and not really healthy. I make popcorn on the stove top. I sometimes get distracted and it burns. It also doesn't cook well if you use electric. I really like this popper. It is amazing. It works just like it says. Put the kernels in and let it pop. You do have to figure out how long to cook in your own microwave. Not a biggie. I just put it in the for the 5 min mark and waited on the popping to stop. Now I just put it in for the right amount of time. I would recommend this product to anyone who likes popcorn.
on March 13, 2014
This is my absolute favorite popcorn popper. And we've had a lot of different types and brands. Microwaving popcorn is so easy in this, and we make it just about every night (because I am addicted to it! haha). We previously had this popper, and decided to get a new one after a couple years because it had turned yellow (perhaps from using oil in it? who knows). But we felt it would be safer to just finally replace it, since this is not too expensive. As far as we know, this is BPA free and safe to use. We have dropped it and it never broke or chipped. It is dishwasher safe, but we don't put it in the dishwasher every night, only occasionally... and just rinse/wipe it out most of the time. It says you can pop corn without oil, but we like the coconut oil flavor, so that's what we use. Here is how I do it:
1. In popper, put 1 Tbsp. coconut oil, and 6 Tbsp. popcorn kernels (we use either Bob's Red Mill white popcorn or Orville)
2. Microwave on High for 2 min. 51 sec. -- OR until corn popping seems to stop or slow down a lot. Your microwave may require more or less time. You have to find that "sweet spot" for your particular microwave... for mine it's 2 mins. 51 sec.
3. I sprinkle with Flavacol & serve.

This makes about 8 cups (enough for 2 people to each have a large bowl).
Yummm!!!!

UPDATE: 7/12/15 -- We are now on our THIRD one. Since the inside bottom seems to get a "burnt" appearance and becomes somewhat flakey and brittle looking, I just replaced one of these. So I still have two of them to alternate between. I will keep buying these, but just wish they held up a little longer.