Industrial Deals HPC Amazon First Reads Womens Ski Trip Essentials nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon thechi thechi thechi  Echo Dot Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now

on January 14, 2018
I had one of these that lasted for years, being used about 2 times a week. When the lid finally warped so popcorn kernels were jumping out all over the microwave, I decided to try the newer style of collapsible silicone poppers. If you're trying to decide between the two styles of poppers, the Nordic Ware one is far superior. This has a lip so you can pick it up without scalding your fingers, which the silicone ones don't. Also this one pops more evenly, and it's easy to tell when the popping has slowed. Because of the style of the raised base, you can put the hot bowl in your lap and not burn your thighs. It's also easier to butter the popcorn in this one, because of the flared shape of the bowl; the silicone ones are deep and straight, so you can't toss the popcorn as well to evenly distribute the butter. I also got far fewer unpopped kernels with this Nordic Ware one. This is such a good popper, but as the trend seems to be towards the silicone ones, I'm ordering several of these Nordic Ware ones to keep for future years, in case they become unavailable.
on January 8, 2018
Growing up, my mom had a bowl like this which we always made Ramen noodles in. We loved this dish so much that it has become an iconic family treasure. After so many years of use (over 22), our loved bowl got a small crack and will not hold liquid any more. So, I purchased this one as a replacement and it is just as great as the first! The original bowl still works great for popcorn and other dry foods. However, this bowl will always be the greatest commodity that I could have in my house. You can use it as a popcorn dish, soup dish, mixing bowl, scalloped potato maker...the possibilities are endless. My only caveat is that the red color will fade after the first couple of uses. It never got in the food but did change a little bit of color in the dish washer. I see no concern in it. This is definitely something that you want to get for your college student, your newly wed couple, or yourself.
on December 21, 2015
What can I say? It works flawlessly. Popcorn pops perfectly (well, almost, I never escape without a few unpopped kernels but this does as well as any popcorn popper I've owned). You can pop it dry or add some oil (much less than is required for a traditional popcorn popper and much, much less than the godawful microwave popcorn bags).

It looks flimsy in the pictures on Amazon but it's actually pretty durable. It is a bit scratched up after two years of heavy use but it is not collecting burned popcorn or other popping detrius, and appears to be one of those simple gadgets that will last a long time. (And if it does need to be replaced, well, we're not talking about an expensive appliance here.) The competing product, the Presto 04830 PowerPop Microwave Multi-Popper, works reasonably well but the waveguides are expensive, and tend not to last very long and are relatively expensive. It is just more work than the Nordic Ware popper, which requires nothing but popcorn.

I have to say that this is the right choice for making popcorn.

Everything (all two pieces) are completely dishwasher safe. And if you're running an assembly line of popcorn for a party, it cleans easily by hand, too. Just make sure to give it time to cool off: it is HOT when it comes out of the microwave. Don't use it as a serving bowl.

The top will stay on unless you have too much popcorn in it, in which case it does what overfilled popcorn poppers do. Just make sure that you don't mind if the excess winds up in your microwave. (Or read the directions in terms of how much popcorn
on February 19, 2015
Yes it looks just like any other bowl with a plastic cover. But the special material does not get hot, and there are little steam vents built into the cover. The popcorn is just like it came out of an air popper and in my microwave took under 3 minutes. You can use a bit of oil if you want, but you don't need to.

When you hear that the popping is down to every second or two, you open your microwave and that's it. You've got hot, fluffy popcorn and you don't even need to transfer it to a different container. My friend who is visually impaired is also going to order one, too, because it's just so simple to use and works so well.

Since I don't use oil, cleanup is so easy- the bowl can basically be wiped dry because all the remains is a trace of dust from the popcorn kernels. (But if you use oil, the bowl and cover can be safely washed on the top rack of the dishwasher). Goodbye to the mess and odor of those microwaveable popcorn bags!
on August 26, 2014
This is one of those gems that is relatively inexpensive and performs well...I want to thank the reviewer who mentioned this item in a review of an air popcorn popper.

I was originally looking for an air popper, but opted for this instead...I am glad I did. This microwave popper can make popcorn quickly, with or without oil, and without much mess. The popcorn does not have the dried out taste of air popped popcorn even when little or no oil is used and the bowl and cover are easy to wash.

The maker recommends 1/2 cup of corn for 12 cups of popcorn, but I have found that 3/8 cup is better...less waste.

UPDATE: I have enjoyed this popper; however, there is one flaw and that is with the lid. After using it for several years, the lid warped (due to high temps?) and this led to popcorn escaping from the bowl during the popping process. The lid moves to the side which allows the popping kernels to jump out creating a mess in the microwave. The solution is probably to use a lot less popcorn than recommended by the manufacturer, although the lid does move as the turntable in the microwave moves.
on July 24, 2014
Love this popper! It's the best purchase I've made in a long time and well worth the price, which is pretty reasonable in my opinion. While I am a lover of popcorn, I've never been a fan of the fake-tasting microwave bags. I'm trying to eat healthier and decided I didn't need all the garbage in the microwave kind either, so I decided to give this popper a try. I figured for the price, even if it wasn't great, I wasn't out much. But it is awesome! I've used it with sunflower oil, coconut oil and no oil and it pops great popcorn with all the methods. It's an added bonus that it pops in its own serving bowl. It's easy to clean, too. And it will pay for itself if you compare the price of microwave popcorn bags to buying bulk corn. Not to mention, no bags to throw into a landfill.
A couple of things- the product info says something about inverting it, so I was confused about the instructions, but there is no inverting. The corn goes in the bottom, it pops right side up in the bowl. The bowl does get really hot, so be careful when you take it out. And test the timing- my microwave pops a bowl in 2 minutes, 50 seconds. Perfect every time!

This is a great, healthy, economical popper. You can't go wrong.
on January 22, 2016
The idea is fantastic, the bowl works great, even my 10yo can do it by himself.... the reason I am giving it a 3 is because even after washing and using it a few times, the popcorn has a really gross plastic taste to it. I popped the corn on the stove in a pot and the popcorn was perfect, so it's not the corn. Also the lids warps in the dishwasher, I recommend hand washing. I'm going to write to the manufacturer. Sorely disappointed.

Edited to add: I contacted the company and after filling out the warranty info and sending in pictures of the bowl, they replaced it with a new one that DOES NOT make the popcorn taste like plastic (same popcorn was used). Changed it to 4 stars because it's better, but not 5 because of the quality assurance issue.
on January 25, 2013
UPDATED

THE MOST SIMPLE, INEXPENSIVE & EASY MICRO-POPCORN POPPER.

FOR NO OIL POPPING IT BEATS ALL.

UNLIKE HOT AIR POPPERS, THERE IS ENOUGH MOISTURE KEPT UNDER THE LID THAT WHEN DONE, ANY SALT OR SEASONINGS ACTUALLY STICK A BIT TO THE POPPED KERNELS (unlike hot air poppers where the salt never sticks and falls to the bottom of the bowl).

** CLEAN UP ** NONE! (for non-oil popping, don't even have to wash the bowl. Just dump any remains in trash, wipe with paper towel and put away.

***NOTE*** You MUST hold the finished the popped corn bowl WITH A TOWEL, MITTEN, POT HOLDER OR SOMETHING TO PROTECT YOURSELF FROM THE EXTREME HEAT OF THE BOWL (which is very high, but dissipates before you finish eating the popped corn. (you can use the same cloth/towel to wipe it out when done, making zero cleanup even easier).

---------------------------------

I was excited to get this, and was disappointed when it came and it seemed to be nothing but a plastic bowl and thin lid. Followed the hidden instructions on the back of the cardboard label.

1. Put 1/3 cup of popcorn kernels into the bowl
2. Place the Lid on top
3. Stick it into the Micowave (for me it took less than 4 minutes)

DONE

Popped almost all kernels (but I bought Orvil Reddenbocker Popcorn - which claims to have very few kernels that don't pop)

I didn't use oil and when done, I felt kind of stupid wiping the bowl and putting it away - so I rinsed it off before putting it away - although not necessary because it makes no mess or anything in the bowl.

TOTALLY TOTALLY RECOMMEND IT!!
on January 13, 2017
Nordic Ware Microwave Popcorn Popper, 12-Cup, White

Purchased as a cheap gift for Mom; an alternative to the more expensive glass micro-poppers (like mine). I was SHOCKED to find out it worked so well! It really does pop nearly every single kernel, every time - with or without oil/butter. It works just as well as my own glass micro-popper (broken now). Very shortly before we received this NordicWare popper, the glass handle of MY micro-popper broke off, a sad sad day - I LOVED that popper! Since the 1st of the year, in my effort to replace the glass popper with a sturdier model, I have tried multiple plastic and silicone poppers - with the exception of this specific NORDIC WARE MODEL, all had severely disappointing results.
on October 23, 2014
When you want popcorn, often you want it NOW. That's why commercial microwave popcorn is so popular. However, it is also laden with hideous ingredients that are very bad for you, so I started making popcorn in the microwave. I used a glass bowl with a plastic lid to pop organic popcorn. Needless to say, this wasn't the greatest system. The lid eventually melted, and popcorn flew all over the microwave. So I searched for something else, and found the Nordic Ware 60120 on Amazon for a reasonable price.

Since I have already practiced microwaving regular popcorn, I knew how much popcorn I wanted to use (about two heaping tablespoons) and what oil to use (a teaspoon of coconut oil). I mixed this together in the Nordic Ware bowl and put on the lid. I saw it doesn't latch on because it has slits on the sides to let out the steam generated by the popping corn. My microwave is rather small. The Nordic Ware isn't huge, but the base in my oven spins, and so the popper spun around and hit the sides. But the popping wasn't at all affected by this, and within three and a half minutes, I had about 3/4 bowl of perfect popcorn. (Note: The popper will be HOT when you take it out. Use pot holders!) There were a few unpopped kernels at the bottom of the bowl. Take out the finished popcorn and put it in another bowl and then pop the remaining kernels, or discard them, rather than risk breaking a tooth.

I'm really happy with the Nordic Ware Popcorn Popper. I suggest a trial run before pouring in a cup of popcorn and winding up with a mess. Try a teaspoon of kernels with a few drops of the oil you prefer (or none), and set your microwave to "POPCORN," if your oven has such a setting. If not, see how much time it takes to pop your kernels on 30-second to 2-minute settings, and go from there. You don't want burnt popcorn! A few test pops and you should be a pro.