YED MagazinestoInspire Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Shop for your business Starting at $39.99 STEM Valentines Day STEM Shop Popular Services JustAddMagic JustAddMagic JustAddMagic  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Go Explore Outdoor Recreation on Amazon STEM

Color: White|Style Name: Microwave Popcorn Popper|Change
Price:$7.99+ Free shipping (Addon item)

Showing 1-10 of 3,391 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 3,758 reviews
on December 25, 2005
Wow, this works so much better than advertised. Just amazing, amazingly simple and great popcorn. It's basically a bowl with a lid, the bowl is made with that special high-temp plastic that can take high heat and doesn't deform. Dump in a half cup of popcorn, stick it in the microwave for 4 minutes and there you go, tasty hot popcorn....with (FIRST POINT) only as much butter or oil as you want, not the thick (but admittedly tasty) coating in the store-bought microwave popcorn. For those watching your cholesterol/weight/fat intake (quite the bummer, I know) this is a life-saver. Get those butter-flavored sprinkle toppings from the store and you have a great treat. SECOND POINT: This is much tastier than the old air-popper type popped corn. I think it's because the steam from the popped corn is contained in the bowl and not immediately driven away by a hot stream of air. Plus this popper isn't so amazingly whiny noisy as the air-popper. FINALLY: This will pay for itself in just a few bowls of popcorn. It's about $17 including shipping from Amazon. We will be getting these as gifts for several of the family.
55 comments| 155 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 26, 2013
I used about 1/2 of a cup of organic corn, turned the microwave on high for 2 min and the popcorn came out perfect - white, fluffy popcorn, without the grease and chemicals from the bagged popcorn. This is just perfect. I wish I knew about it before. Now, popcorn can become the healthy snack it was meant to be. I will never buy bagged popcorn again.
On the bottom of the bowl it says it is ovensafe too up to 400 degrees Farenheit. I won't be using it this way though. It is BPA-free and very sturdy plastic, nothing thin or flimsy. Made in USA, love it.
review image
11 comment| 66 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 25, 2014
I got to use the popcorn popper yesterday for the first time, after noticing I received what seemed like a returned item, since it had burn marks on the base, a tiny chip *even when it states that is "chip-proof" and the lid had some spots that I thought were some sort of pattern, but then realized they were oil stains...
Anyway... my daughter was so excited to use it that I decided to test it, so I gave it a good wash and tried it.
I was pleasantly surprised by how easy it is to use with great results.
1/4 cup of corn, about 1 tablespoon of butter and in just 4 minutes we had almost perfect popcorn with very few kernels unpopped.
The popper gets VERY HOT, so you have to be careful when taking it out of the microwave.
We made two batches and after the second one I noticed that the bowl had some burn marks at the bottom, which was a disappointment...
Also the lid wasn't in place, it had come out a little, like it didn't hold well. So not sure if is better to return to Amazon because I was supposed to get a brand new item not one that already shows so much wear...
review image review image
on February 15, 2015
I bought this because i love popcorn, and I want to decide how much butter and salt i put on my popcorn, or sometimes add a flavor.

This bowl works well! I expected the cover to latch somehow, but it doesn't. It just rests on top. Not a problem, just a surprise.

I learned from previous (unrelated) popcorn makers that it's best to move the popcorn to another bowl to eat it. Which is a good note, because this bowl comes out of the microwave HOT.

It pops the popcorn well, and it's a big enough bowl for me to eat by myself (oink oink) or share with someone else without having to make more.

Reasonably priced, dishwasher safe and easy to clean.
on October 18, 2014
I'm very pleased with this popcorn popper. I've used it several times. Perfect popping every time. No burning. No more than six unpopped kernels.
on October 24, 2011
You can trust the 5-star reviews on this popper. I ordered this Nordic Ware 60120 Microwave Popcorn Popper less than a week ago, with Amazon's SuperSaver shipping. Even though it was shipped via the US Postal Service, it arrived on exactly the date that it was promised. I immediately opened up the box and washed the popper with hot soapy water as it says in the instructions. I measured one half cup of Orville's popcorn, poured it into the bowl, and put the lid on. I didn't use any oil or salt - although the instructions say that you can add oil and salt if you want to.

I set the timer on my 1200W Kenmore microwave to three minutes (on the highest setting). After about 40-45 seconds, the popcorn started popping. After 2:30, the popcorn was beginning to push the lid of the bowl up, so I had to stop the microwave at 2:40.

The popcorn was very light, very crispy, and of course very dry compared to the oily stuff I'm used to eating out of the microwave bags. The flavor was very good - like sweet corn. I'll probably try some of the shake-on seasonings in the near future.

There were no scorch marks in the bowl. There was no burnt popcorn. Since I had to stop the microwave before the popping completely finished (1-2 seconds between pops is the recommended time to shut down), it probably isn't fair to talk about unpopped kernels. The bowl was overflowing with popcorn goodness. But just in case anyone wants to know, there were 32 unpopped kernels - about one tablespoon full. I'll probably cut back to one-third cup of popcorn next time.

I've read some of the bad reviews on here. It seems to me that most of the bad experiences that people have had can be chalked up to people not paying attention to when the popping slows down and allowing the popcorn to overheat and burn.

There is no reason to use a lower setting on your microwave if you just wait for the popping to slow down to 1-2 second between pops and then shut down the microwave.

And the guy who said that you have to use a full cup of popcorn to get it to pop and then end up throwing away half a cup of popcorn must be a popcorn salesman. There is no reason to waste popcorn with this popper.

All in all, I'm very happy with this purchase. You will be too.
on October 22, 2015
This bowl is just PERFECT! I watched a video on YouTube featuring this bowl.http://youtu.be/LOM1uuVqWds
The guy in the video went step by step using this bowl to make perfect popcorn! I use it almost everyday day. The bowl gets hot so I just use a pot holder when taking out of microwave. It is easy to clean ( I only wash it by hand)) . Using theater salt and coconut oil is a must to get great theater-style popcorn. YUM!
on March 8, 2007
This popcorn popper produces fluffy popcorn and leaves few unpopped kernels. You can pop corn with or without butter or oil. I use butter. I particularly like being able to eat the popcorn from the bowl without having to get another bowl dirty. The bowl is hot at first, so you have to wait a few minutes for it to cool down. It's dishwasher safe and easy to care for. I bought it because it was highly rated by Cook's Illustrated magazine which is a trusted source for information about items useful in cooking. They haven't been wrong yet, and they were right about this item.
on February 5, 2015
I like it a lot. Very happy with the way the popcorn comes out. I do Not use any oil just plain popcorn .. I didn't change any settings on my microwave I just set it for 4 minutes and listened for the popping to slow down and then took it out before the 4 minutes was up.. I Eat popcorn everyday a few times a day as you can simply find out in my popcorn review! Got this because my Air popcorn machine died on me after 1 1/2 months of use and bagged microwave popcorn was making my Blood pressure skyrocket from all that salt.. So this is working out for me. I spray olive oil on it after it is done popping and add very little Nacho Cheese seasoning. Im Happy.
review image review image
on March 16, 2013
Used it for half a year. Then one day in the microwave it cracks and breaks. I think I should buy something made out of Pyrex instead. Save your money and buy something else...

Updated with my experience with Pyrex bowls:

Pyrex Prepware 3-Piece Mixing Bowl Set, ClearInstead of continuing to use the cracked Nordic Ware popcorn popper, I decided to buy some Pyrex mixing bowls off Amazon for $14.99.Pyrex Prepware 3-Piece Mixing Bowl Set, ClearI am using the 2.5 Qt Pyrex mixing bowl now instead...

Here are the pros and cons of using Pyrex instead of the Nordic Ware popper. The Nordic Ware seems to get very hot right in the center of the popper and tends to channel the heat very well into the middle of the popper. This results in having to use a lower wattage setting on the Microwave to achieve the same results as the Pyrex. The downside to the Nordic Ware is that this makes it easier to burn the popcorn. I noticed that when I use the Pyrex mixing bowl that I have to add a couple of extra minutes (I use a 1450 Watt Microwave), however, it doesn't burn the popcorn at all. A downside to the Pyrex bowl is that the bowl will retain a lot of the heat, so you have to be careful when you remove the bowl from the Microwave. Also, it tends to work better if you use a square cover that allows for adequate steam to seep out of the mixing bowl. The upside to not using the Nordicware is that I have the peace of mind that none of the chemicals in the Nordicware container are leaching into the Popcorn. Also, whenever I accidentally burned the popcorn it was hard to clean the burn marks completely off the Nordicware popper. Lastly, be sure to follow safe microwave instructions for Pyrex glassware by not heating empty or nearly empty glassware in the microwave or overheating oil or butter in microwave (use minimum amount of cooking time).

I wish I had just bought the Pyrex mixing bowls to begin with... Plus I can also use them for other purposes and not just popping popcorn.
33 comments| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse