- Hardcover: 328 pages
- Publisher: Harry N. Abrams (September 1, 1996)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0810981505
- ISBN-13: 978-0810981508
- Product Dimensions: 12 x 1.1 x 15 inches
- Shipping Weight: 6 pounds
- Average Customer Review: 4.6 out of 5 stars See all reviews (24 customer reviews)
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,333,726 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Norman Rockwell: Artist and Illustrator Hardcover – September 1, 1996
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
Anyway here's my review. This is the biggest Norman Rockwell book I have ever seen and I own 90% of the popular ones. This being said, i must comment on the greatness of the printing. Some paintings like The Land of Enchantment, A problem We all Live With, Strictly a sharp shooter, Yankee doodle and quite a few others are available in a gigantic fold out version in startlingly great color. Thats not all....The book is also full of small Prints glued into the pages. WOW!!! and to add to all that theres a Ton of color pictures printed directly in the book. Alternate sketches, Pictures he used as reference for the paintings such as shuffletons barbershop. I paid Under 5 bucks for this used and Its a crime. But its now one of my treasures and hopefully you'll get one too.
If you must buy only 2 Rockwell books get this one (Norman Rockwell Artist and Illusttrator) and The Saturday evening Post (The Complete Cover collection 1916 to 1971)
This is an absolutely stunning book but you should know that the one currently offered by Amazon is not the same as mine. There seems to have been various editions of the title since the first one in 1970 and you should attempt to find this one because:
*The size is 17 inches by 12.5 and weighs 11 pounds (compare these with the Amazon Product Details) all editions seem to have 328 pages.
* The 1970 edition has 11 gate-folds printed on thick stock, two of which are 45 inches wide.
* There are twenty tipped-in paintings (when was the last time you saw these in a book?) approximately 10 inches by 11, including the one on the cover. With a bit of care you could remove your favorites, frame them and have your own Rockwell gallery.
* There are 614 illustrations with 111 in color, because different papers have been used the screen various between 150 and 175. The decades are separated by thick brown stock with gold lettering.
I haven't seen the latest edition and maybe it does have fold-outs and tipped-in pictures though I doubt it looking at the price. I'm sure the text and paintings are the same in all editions but the huge 1970 version, because of way it is produced, is the one to go for. It really is a Rockwell treasury.
***SEE SOME INSIDE PAGES by clicking 'customer images' under the cover.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Very good book describing the works and historicity of Normal Rockwell. I would like to ask the patrons of Amazon here to add any other books written by or about Normal Rockwell... Read morePublished 24 months ago by Humor and Fun
It is the biggest book I've ever seen. The content is good enough. But the condition was quite bad, the jacket was gone. Overall still very satisfy.Published on May 6, 2014 by Ng Kian Huat
Rockwell is just the best illustration of the 20th century and THIS rare piece of gold is the best book about him by far. Read morePublished on April 20, 2014 by Filipe Barata
Can't say enough about this book ! One of America greatest artist and this book has all of his best work !Published on February 27, 2014 by Douglas L. Rupert Sr.
It arrived quickly and in good condition. Although it's pretty old there were no signs of wear and tear. A good choice for my mom's coffee table!Published on December 24, 2013 by Arlene Zawko
This book is HUGE...and heavy. That's actually one of my favorite things about it. I grew up with framed prints of Norman Rockwell's art displayed in my parents' home, and holding... Read morePublished on December 8, 2013 by J. M. Player