Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Norpro Pasta Machine
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now STEM

on March 3, 2008
Norpro Pasta Machine
I've eaten homemade pasta before, and have attempted to make it in the past but did NOT know what I was doing, so it didn't turn out that great. I am in culinary school and we made pasta the other day. I was very impressed with it! I went right out and bought one after class. This is the one I bought because it looked most like the one we used at school.

You either need the recipe and/or instructions, or someone to tell you what to do. It should have come with a clamp. I'll give you the basic method that I used.

One cup of all purpose flour, in a pile on the counter (or put it on a cookie sheet if you want easier cleanup). Make a well in the center of the pile, and add a drizzle of olive oil and one egg. Start, with your fingers, by breaking up the egg and mixing it with the oil, then a little of the side flour, then a little more and a little more. The object at this point is to keep the egg/oil still contained in the center of your pile. Keep on mixing it up until you have a pretty good dough-y ball. You might not use all the flour.

Fold the dough over toward you, then push it with the heel of your hand away from you. Repeat this 10-12 times until the dough starts to get firm. At this point, let it rest for about 5 minutes. Then make a rectangle with it, then fold both sides in (like a tri-fold wallet). Put the dough into the machine (not the cutting side, but the rolling side) and roll it through. It should be on setting "1". When it comes out, fold it again, put it back through, etc. You will do this 5-6 times on setting "1". Turn it to "2" and repeat. Put it through each setting one time, all the way up to "8" or "9". I would use "8" for fettucini and "9" for the spaghetti, but that's my personal preference.

Did I mention that your pot of water should be boiling? Also, at about "7" or "8", you might have to cut the dough in half because it's getting fairly long at this point. Cutting it made it easier to handle.

Move the handle from the rolling section to either the fettucini or spaghetti section. Put the dough in the top, and roll it out. It'll come out in strips. Keep these floured, not heavily but with just enough so they aren't sticking together. You need to have enough water so that the strips aren't crowded in the pot. Cook it for just about 3-4 minutes; it doesn't take long for fresh pasta.

Good luck! You can email me if you have any questions.
33 comments| 137 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 6, 2010
This is a good pasta machine for the price. WE found it at ross for only 19.00. We discovered that homemade pasta is better then any store bought pasta, and will probably never buy store bought pasta again.
But we only had the machine for 1 year before the gears striped, and stopped working-it wouldn't turn. I don't know if it is because we used it aleast twice a week for a year and it just had it's limit, or it was a dud? For the price we paid it was worth it. I would probably get it again if i can't afford the 200-300 dollar one that i would love to have.
33 comments| 55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 27, 2013
Aside from the fact I've been in a carb induced coma from all the pasta I'm making, this machine is very well made. Much heavier than I expected it to be. Super easy to use, the cutters work well and you can roll dough super thin. Make a batch of dough you plan to not eat because you cant wash this with water and you need to get the grease off the cutters and rollers and rolling dough through does the trick. Plus handling the dough and seeing how much flour you need to sprinkle it with so it doesn't stick is good practice. There are more expensive ones out there but I see no reason to buy one that's more expensive especially if it's a hand crank model. I'm all about expensive kitchen appliances, I collect those not shoes and this one at around $30 was the deal of deals.
on December 31, 2009
I have been looking at pasta machines for several years, but the high price for most of them was a turn-off for a tool I wasn't sure would be useful. Along comes the Norpro on sale, and with just a little hesitation I bought it. An evening of playing later finds me kicking myself for the years spent without this tool in my kitchen. The idea of the machine is to roll out pasta dough into a sheet and then further process the sheet into various forms of strip based pasta (think lasagna, fettucine, etc), and this tool does it well enough for my needs at much less cost than comperable machines by other manufacturers. Although marketed for pasta, this also works with other doughs (pie crust, pastry, etc..) and is ideal for creating thin tartlet crusts.

The machine itself is nearly all metal, including the hidden gears which drive the rollers (visable after removing the side covers for those so inclined), and there is good access for cleaning. The clamp and crank handle are both easily removed for storage but hold firmly during use. The clamp has a molded plastic T-handle for turning the screw; in my case this clashes against the drawers under my counter so I have to either open the drawers or clamp it on a table.

The first step is for you to make a dough however you want to (note that if you expect to dump flour and eggs in a bin, hit a button, and come back later to find pasta ready for the pot this tool is not what you are looking for); pasta dough can be very fast and simple to make, a couple of eggs mixed with enough flour to make a stiff ball yields enough finished pasta in about 10 minutes for a full meal for one person or a side dish for 3-4 people.

The second step is to roll the dough to the desired thickness. Adjust the smooth rollers on the machine to their widest setting, take a handfull of the dough from step one and use your hands to pat it more or less flat and about 3/4 or 1/2 an inch thick, and place it between the rollers. Turn the crank and the dough will be passed through the rollers. You may want to use your other hand to catch the dough sheet as it exits the rollers and guide it smoothly away, otherwise it has a tendency to pile up under the roller exit. Dust the sheet lightly with flour if needed to avoid sticking, and repeat rolling a couple of times at this roller setting to condition the dough for further working. Once the dough is conditioned, reduce the spacing between the rollers and continue the rolling process until the desired thickness is obtained.

Step three, if desired, is to use the cutting attachment to create uniform strips. This operates much like the rollers except there is no spacing adjustment and only one pass is required.
on February 20, 2014
I read all the reviews prior to purchasing this machine. One person had mentioned the machine had left metal flakes in the dough, but I decided to try it anyway hoping it was just a fluke with their machine. Unfortunately, I had the same problem. I've tried running multiple batches of dough through the machine. It worked great, and rolled thin dough very nicely, but unfortunately every batch has had little flecks of the metal coating come off into the dough. Otherwise it functioned just fine. Unfortunately, it was too late to return the machine once I tried it, but wanted to let others know that this has happened to multiple people.
on December 20, 2012
a decent pasta machine, works well. The first batch of your pasta needs to be run though and tossed to clean the machine of its extra greese, this is typical(run it to the edges). it makes flat spaghetti and linguine, and flat noddles of course.
on February 22, 2015
Affordable and do the work but the instruction was very poor. I followed the instruction the first time I made it and the pasta came out too thick and tough. Later on I found some tutorial online and it turn out a way better :-)
SOme video like this one is really help.
review image
on July 19, 2013
Love the machine, but don't like the metal flakes in my noodles! I have ran several batches of dough through, and the problem still exists. Good buy, nice machine other than the metal shavings!
on March 16, 2013
I love this machine, it does what it says, we love pasta and making our own is well worth it. This machine does exactly what it said it would. Thanks so much. It is fun and exciting to use, all parts work great, buy one you will love it.
on December 28, 2010
I received this product for Christmas and was elated. I have been wanting one for ages. I made a throw away batch as recommend for a lot of new pasta machines to get the factory oils and filings off, no problems so far. As I was rolling out dough to make ravioli I found oil streaks and filings and ended up using it to clean out the machine a second time, cutters also. On the third attempt the rollers began to freeze up or skip, felt like a gear was slipping and jamming. I fiddled with it, rotating the handle backwards and forwards until it began rolling mostly smooth again, still hung up or slipped occasionally. Then the dough was being pulled through at an angle and I could not get an even sized sheet out of it. After mastering the technique of tugging the dough to one side to keep it feeding evenly I began finding oil and filings on the edges of the dough, again. having to trim the edges after every pass just to keep the oil and metal shrapnel out of my food. Definitely only worth what you pay for it. would rather have been given a gift card and been allowed to purchase a nice reliable machine not just a hunk of junk. The gray streaks are oils leaking out from the gears and the little black specks are metal shavings either from the manufacturing plant or from the gears stripping out. be sure to run dough through it repeatedly until you see no traces of either and hope the machine holds up long enough to do that as well as actually make the noodles it supposedly was designed for.