Truck Reviews Beauty Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Shop by look Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members $0.99 rentals for Prime members  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

Norpro 3132C Silicone Jar/Icing Spatula, Blue
Package Quantity: 1|Size: 10.5in/26.5cm|Change

Top Contributor: Bakingon September 24, 2014
Good idea, terrible execution. This is an example of what happens when someone designs a product that seems so simple there's no possible way it could be screwed up, so they decide to skip the testing. The result: a purported jar scraper that's too wimpy to scrape out jars. You might as well use a wet noodle. Perhaps if the hard plastic handle extended another 2 inches or so into the silicone, giving it a backbone, it would work better. Also, the silicone at the point where the handle is inserted should be wider than the handle and a bit rounded, so you could clean the area under the jar's "shoulder".

I've had this for nearly two years and still haven't found a good (or any) use for it. As a jar scraper, It's a complete failure. and, given how wimpy it is, I can't imagine that it would be any good as an icing spatula. (In my experience, an icing spatula needs to be rigid so you have some control. The one I use one made of stainless steel and has an offset.) I considered returning this, but it seemed environmentally irresponsible to waste so many resources to return such a small, inexpensive item.

P.S. I noticed that several of the positive reviews have mentioned that it works with mayonnaise. I have to admit that I haven't tried that yet. I don't use much mayonnaise and I usually have to throw it out before reaching the bottom of the jar because the date has expired. Maybe this spatula has value as a mayonnaise jar scraper. If it had been labeled as such, I would never have bought it because 1) I don't use much mayonnaise and 2) I don't believe in buying ultra-specialized gadgets and equipment, unless I expect to use them daily.
13 people found this helpful
on December 15, 2016
Loved it, great little tool. Until the blade snapped off after a few uses. Used it for mayo, too, not anything thick like peanut butter or tahini..
review image
8 people found this helpful
on December 3, 2012
** Update - I've ordered 4 of these, and 4 broke within 5 uses. 2 heads snapped off on the handle, two had heads not fixed to the handle and they keep sliding off. I'm bummed, these were holy grail spatulas for me.

BUYER BEWARE

-- PREVIOUS REVIEW --
Heaven in a Spatula

This spatula has become a daily grabber for me. It's so flexible, I use it to:

- spread oil on cookie sheets and silicone mats
- spread batter into perfect rounds
- get every bit of goodness out of my mixing bowls
- loosen cooked goodies from the pan while still hot
- scoop out every ounce of cream cheese from the container

It's amazing. I love, love, love it so much I just bought a second one, because I'm always using it!

Highly recommended.
15 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on March 23, 2014
I love these little things. I bought a bunch a few months ago. Now I'm doing a lot more spatula-requiring work, so they are always in the dishwasher. I'm back to buy more of them.

They are great for cooking, of course, and for what they are made for, which is scraping jars. But most frequently I use them for diy cosmetics. I experiment every day, making tiny batches of whimsical products to see if my ideas will work. Usually these start off in a round-bottomed shot glass. Then I need to scrape the glass to move the material to a larger container. These spatulas are the holy grail tool. There are no unnecessary edges or ridges, just one smooth, continuous piece of silicone, as easy to scrape off and clean as they are to use.

I rarely use them with the handles attached. The handles are easily removed. Since I'm digging into shot glasses and small custard cups and beakers and such and then leaving them to sit in these vessels, the handles would only make them top-heavy.

The handles are made of acrylic. For frosting cakes, they are just the right combination of stiff handle and flexy business-end. But I don't put the handles in the dishwasher, as acrylic tends to split in that kind of heat. Like the silicone end, the handles are elegantly smooth and easy to hand-wash. Clear thinking went into the whole design.

Plus, they are blue, and pretty.

Tip: When washing any spatula in the dishwasher, point the tip of the scraper UP, so that water doesn't collect in the hole into which the handle inserts. If possible, remove the handles before doing so, even if the handles can also go into the dishwasher--eliminates unpleasant surprises in the form of old dish water falling into your frosting.
4 people found this helpful
on October 31, 2016
We've been using this spatula for 3 and a half years and it's still in good shape. We don't use it every day, but we do use a couple times a week. It has held up in the dishwasher. The silicone part has remained attached to the plastic handle.

The silicone spatula part is quite limber. That makes it good for conforming to bottle shapes and retrieving condiments. It's not so good for icing unless it is very light and fluffy. We bought it for condiments, so it's not an issue for us.

I like the clear handle and blue color too. The only thing that would make it better would be a red spatula color.
2 people found this helpful
on February 28, 2013
I purchased this spatula based on its description and some of the reviews, plus thinking from the picture that it would match a set by Wilton that I already had. The head is not quite as good a quality as the Wilton set, as the head is neither clear blue or smooth silicon like the others; plus, the top half of the spatula head is quite weak/flimsy, so forget about cleaning out that peanut butter or jelly jar. Still, it is very useful for sauces, dressings and other things in skinny jars. It's also useful for stirring just about anything liquid in a glass. I did not find it very useful for icings as I prefer something smoother, wider and flatter. This spatula head is 4" long, 1" wide and 7/16" thick at the base (and for a good 1 inch and a half further) tapering down to about a 1/16 at the tip. Overall, it's 10 1/2 inches long, which, in my view, makes it useful in the kitchen.
24 people found this helpful
on September 1, 2015
I had been needing a long narrow spatula forever and finally decided to get one. Norpro products have always worked for me and this spatula was just what I needed. The actual silicone scraper is 4" long and tip end is .8 inches wide. This size makes it just perfect for getting into narrow jars for that last drop of salad dressing or jam/jelly. I use a lot of horseradish and those jars are the pits to get the last bit out of but this spatula is perfect. It's also great for getting all of the ice cream off of the paddle of the ice cream machine.

The tip is quite flexible and washes beautifully in the dishwasher. Because this spatula is so narrow and thin (just exactly what I wanted) I don't intend to be rough with it. It wasn't made for heavy duty use, there are other spatulas out there for that purpose. I would think getting peanut butter out of a jar or mixing cookie dough is way beyond it's capabilities, both the blade and handle. I'll keep you updated if I run into trouble with it. But love it in the here and now!
on May 10, 2017
This is terrible. I read many rave reviews for this. But I've found the tip of the spatula is too flimsy to actually scrape the bottom of any jar. It is not usable as described. Sure it's long and narrow. But it's too long without support. Would not buy again.
2 people found this helpful
on December 8, 2015
These are great! I bought several only after buying one the first time. I use them to get every last bit of facial cream out of the jar, I use them to scrape the last of peanut butter, jelly, anything that you want to get every last drop of. You'd be amazed you can make another sandwich out of what is left on the sides, but no more left now!! The long flexible spatula, this one is the best one for doing these chores. I've bought others over time and so far, this one is the best. Those jelly jars with all the ridges in them are no match for this spatula. It takes a little finessing to get it down how to work it, but by the second jar, you'll have it down pat.
on April 6, 2016
Ordered 3 different ones. The Norpro 3132C Silicone Jar/Icing Spatula, Blue is the most flexible of the 3 and is great for light liquids and cleaning those bottles and cans! The Good Cook Clear Handle Spatula with Silicone Bottle Head works great on liquid cleanings and is more flexible than the HIC Essential Heat-Resistant Flexible Nonstick Silicone Slim Spatula, Blueberry but I like the HIC for heavier substances.

Update: This is so excellent! I opted I was using mine often enough wanted an Extra rest of my family should enjoy this one too!
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.