Industrial Deals HPC Rebound Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. GNO for Samsung S9 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day gifts Home Gift Guide Mother's Day gifts across Amazon Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now SWMTVT18_gno

Norpro Mushroom Egg Slicer
Package Quantity: 1|Size: One Size|Change

on September 18, 2015
I was really enjoying this slicer for the first few weeks. It now longer has fluid slicing action. One of the problems is it's long handle. This allows for a significant amount of wiggle at the slicing end so that the blades no longer move down the middle of the grooves of the plunger piece. They lock up on the side wall, get stuck and dented. Not only that but the blades are not starting to come loose. They are molded into this aluminum uni-body frame and there is no way of re-tightening them or fixing the loose blades. It started to degrade right after the 30 day return period. I will be replacing this item with one that doesn't have such a long handle, or no handle at all. I was concerned about the handle length but there were so many positive reviews I decided to risk it. This product will not last.
on October 29, 2016
This was accidentally placed in the dishwasher, and it came out looking like it had been through a fire. Blacken, dirty, and what looked like soot all over it.

It doesn't cut anything particularly well, the blades seem a little too blunt. It sort of squishes, rather than cuts.

It is also a little too small for a medium to large egg. Part of the egg hangs over. I have never been able to cleanly cut anything with it.

The wire style cutters may not last, but at least they cut cleanly.
on December 20, 2015
I work in a kitchen and bought this to slice several boxes of mushrooms ever week. As a whole it works great, however I'm only giving it 4 out of 5 stars because, 1. Its pretty hard to clean. We are talking about mushrooms so the last thing you want is fungas left on a kitchen tool for a few days, ideally you need a tooth brush to clean it or a large bristle brush to get in every nook and cranny of this slicer. 2, when you go to slice something if you don't apply the pressure just right you'll catch the blades on the top preventing you from fully closing / slicing anything. I probably do this 1 in 5 times now, less often now that I've getting use to it but if you use this say, once a week for a handful of things, or even less than that you'll end of catching the blades every time. With that aside, I'd buy it again.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon November 17, 2015
I bought this to cut up strawberries easier as I have arthritis. It does work perfectly. All the berries were cut up evenly and quickly. If you use a corer to pull out the stems first, this can cut a 5 pound container of strawberries in about 10 minutes. It has a nice weight to it too, so it doesn't feel like it's going to fall apart in your hands. The only reason I am giving it 4 stars is that it is super hard to clean. There is no way to clean between the blades besides getting a pipe cleaner and working it between each blade in turn. Thankfully I have young children, so the bottle cleaning brushes work well for this purpose. I would not let this sit in any water though, it looks like it would pit really easily. All in all I really like it, and will probably use it for years. I would recommend it to anybody.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on October 7, 2015
After using this item once, I ran it through the dishwasher - BIG mistake, as it discolored and turned a very dull grey. However, it works great and is a fantastic slicer! What once would take me a good ten minutes of slicing and dicing, getting my fingers brown and generally being a pain in the arse now takes all of 3 minutes of a simple squeeze right into the pan. I am very happy with this product and will likely try it on strawberries in the summer as well. I would suggest washing by hand and using a scrub brush to wash in the slats on the lower half. Still - it works exactly as it should and alleviates a great deal of effort - A+ for me
on February 9, 2015
It cuts about the same way mushrooms are sliced when you buy then, a bit thinner perhaps, super sharp and easy. I just used and used it right over the pan, stirring with the slicer as I was slicing away! fast and easy. I like them sliced more thinly then the way you buy them pre-packaged, and this did it slightly less, which I liked. I look forward to using this on eggs, strawberries and other things. Should be fine since the slicers are super sharp, so beware of that. You could cut yourself if not a little more careful then I was......
on August 2, 2016
I really got this for eggs because I got tired of the wires breaking on those cheapos. This has blades, is much sturdier and slices very well. Larger mushrooms (Like from Costco) need to have the stems trimmed a little, but it is better than hand slicing the whole batch. It meets and exceeds my expectations. Should this grow legs and walk away when my kids come by (You know what I mean wink wink), I would buy another.
on June 9, 2015
As a rule I don't buy anything I can't put in the dishwasher. This is one of those items. Aluminum turns black from the dishwasher detergent and it's very difficult to remove the tarnish. However the stainless blades are still fine and reliably sharp. I clean it with Tarn-X then soak it in soapy water and rinse well after each use.
My other issue is that it's sometimes difficult to align the blades with the guides. If anyone can recommend a better dishwasher safe slicer I'll be glad to look into it.
on June 12, 2012
For those that have put this un-coated aluminum device in the dishwasher, and got it back totally oxidized... Why didn't you pay attention to the specific warning on the outside of the product's box? The warning and further instructions have ALWAYS been in plain sight. Hand wash only, and this kitchen tool should stay fairly bright for a lifetime.

As for my experience with the slicer's functionality...

Of course it's perfect for mushrooms and strawberries. However, you can do a very good job on rubbery pitted prunes and apricots too! Yes, it will take some finesse and a little more force, but it makes the job much easier and less time-consuming then slicing each fruit individually. Trust me!

An above-average/stiffer dish-washing brush will make cleaning the slicer a snap.
on July 19, 2015
I agree with the other reviewers that the blades on this slicer make all the difference. I have used it several times already and am very satisfied with this tool. Looks like this tool will last me years and years. Makes quick work of slicing mushrooms and boiled eggs for our salads! If you don't mind the silver color dulling, just throw it in the dishwasher like I do. It works the same whether it's shiny or not! I like the locking feature, too, so that it fits easily in the drawer.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.