Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

Norpro 5683 Bamboo Pizza Paddle
Package Quantity: 1|Change

on April 22, 2017
I haven't used this as I'm going to send it back, so I can't speak to the user experience. The reason I'm sending it back is mainly due to two things. The wood is split/cracked in multiple places, and the glue they use to stick the label on doesn't come off the board. I would have returned it for either of these problems, but it has both. I can tell that the splits will get worse quickly and it will fall apart. My wife and I actually heard it crack as it sat on the counter. Secondly, I don't trust that the glue is safe to be in contact with hot food (or any temperature food).

The handle is too wide forcing an awkward grip. If gripped correctly, it is too wide and the edges are very uncomfortable as they aren't rounded enough. I would have cut and sanded it down if I were keeping it. Also, the board seems too thick.

Another thing to note is that they use glue to fill the gaps. In other words, the wood is not a solid piece in some places and they've had to fill the spaces with glue.
3 helpful votes
on March 8, 2017
Summary: This peel may be OK to get your finished pizza out of the oven, as a pizza cutting board or serving platter, but it is not suited well for transferring raw/uncooked pizza pies onto a pizza baking stone due to the following reasons:

1.) The super-smooth bamboo finish does not allow for cornmeal or flower to act like rollers under the raw dough, like regular wood peels with a coarser wood grain finish. The result is catastrophic, i.e. your uncooked pie will stick to the peel when trying to transfer it into the oven and there will be a huge mess! I tried it several times using large amounts of flower and/or cornmeal.
2.) This peel is relatively heavy, compared to wood (almost 1 lbs heavier than standard wooden peels) and the handle is quite wide at the end, not very ergonomic at all. The photo in the product description does not reflect that fact very well. Both of these things make one-handed operation difficult, in my opinion.

Lessons learned: I will stick with good old regular wood!
on November 11, 2012
I considered all options, both metals and various woods, and all price ranges before ordering this one. This is my second peel, purchased as a gift.

This pizza peel is solid bamboo and finished well. It's light-weight, easy to handle, dense, and sturdy. It doesn't need to be babied, but because it's wood, you have to take care of it. I wash it right away after use, dry it well, and put it away.

Don't cut your pizza on this board.
Don't allow anyone to use it as a cutting board.
Don't leave it soaking in water in the sink.

One important tip for any wooden peel (or any cutting board for that matter) is to be sure to OIL it lightly (all over) with plain MINERAL OIL before you use it. You can get this at any drugstore. If you do this, the pizza will slide off easily from the very first time you use it.

If you oil it once in a while-- before it looks dry-- your pizza won't stick (as some reviewers have complained) and your peel will stay looking like new.

I expect these to last for years to come.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND. You don't need to spend more.
on October 24, 2012
I have become obcessed with making a perfect pizza and that involves being able to build it on a surface and then sliding on to a hot pizza "stone" althoug I use this cast iron one and it is greatLodge Pro Logic Cast Iron 14" Pizza Pan, Black The trick with this and I would imagine any pizza peel is to use plenty of cornmeal under the dough. I learned that cornmeal works best because of it's higher burn-point than flour. I also think it makes the crust crisp up and taste better. Others have mentioned using this to serve but I wouldn't do that as the wood could scar. Also some mentioned raising of the grain but I certainly haven't found that to be true with the one I received. As a bonus it is very attractive when hung on the wall.
3 helpful votes
on November 6, 2016
Because the surface is a bamboo finished surface, it is polished to a very smooth finishing. This makes sliding spread dough a challenge even when using ample flour and semolina.
I am coming to this conclusion in comparison with another paddle made of hard wood with a wooden fine grainy finishing, which is perfect when sliding your pizza dough with both flour and semolina.
I usually make two pizzas at a time and I prepare them on the 2 paddles in the same time. I suffer from sticky dough with the Norpro Bamboo, where as the other hardwood paddle slides into the oven like a breeze.
on September 20, 2012
Because the edges are tapered (by nearly 0.5 inches all the way along leading edge and sides) along the entire blade the actual maximum diameter or dimension of a pizza using raw pizza dough is 12.75 inches. Raw dough will not be supported if larger than that resulting in topping migration if not actual spillage. If the dough is already cooked then this peel can handle any normal size pizza (say 16 inches or more) subject to weight and balance.

Final overall dimensions are 13.75 inches wide (across the blade) and length of 23.75 inches. The handle length can be measured differently but if I draw a straight line across the back of the blade then the handle is about 9.75 inches long. The handle is about 1.625 inches wide where a user would grip and the overall thickness of the peel is about 0.5 inches.

The handle will feel thick and overly wide to some users as the edges of the handle are not smoothed at all.

To minimize any potential staining or discoloration that others have reported, etc., I do not allow a cooked (i.e., hot) pizza to linger on the peel. I just use the peel to first manufacture the uncooked pizza and then only to transfer the pizza to/from the grill or pizza stone and then onto a cheap metal pizza tray for resting and cutting. Not being a baker and lacking the appropriate equipment, I use Trader Joe's fresh pizza dough and typically grill the pizza instead of regular baking. I just buy several packages of dough and freeze as these handle freezing very well.

The manufacturer suggested treatment with mineral oil. A very light coat would be recommended. You would need food grade so if ordering this peel, make sure that you either already have some on hand or include mineral oil in order to avoid a special trip to a store, etc. Using mineral oil will probably help reduce splitting as well enhancing the appearance of the peel. Look or search for "mineral oil for cutting boards." For cleaning - the manufacturer suggests wiping with a damp cloth followed by mineral oil. The mineral oil is not fully absorbed for a few days to a week or two so users may want to be careful about where and how they store this.

For those having trouble sliding this under a pizza - in addition to using corn meal or flour for raw dough you might as well just make or assemble the pizza on the peel and consider using a small spatula to help guide the pizza onto a pizza stone or cooking surface as the wrist action takes a little bit of practice.

Actual product is made of 3 layers more like a veneer with the center layer being thickest.

Unfortunately mineral oil does not remove the glue remnants although over some time (about 2 weeks) the glue does break down or at least starts to do so and the mineral oil seems to help with that. To be safe I avoided using that side of the peel when in contact with the pizza. I did not want to use any cleaner type solution on the glue although in retrospect I might have tried wiping it with the inside of an orange peel.
on November 16, 2017
Needs to be packaged differently. The sticker on the paddle is very hard to remove and leaves a layer of adhesive and paper that is very hard to remove. Had to scrub the paddle with Goo Gone as soap and water would not remove it with a green scrubby.
on December 2, 2011
I've been using this peel daily for a couple of weeks now.

First the bad: I haven't been able to get the glue strip off from the label that was slapped directly to the peel. I've tried hot, sudsy water. Tried alcohol. Tried a citrus based cleaner. Nothing is getting the last of the gummy residue off. Which means I can only use one side of the peel.

Next the indifferent: Yes, this peel is a little on the thick side. Maybe if you're using it to remove pizzas and things from the oven that might be a problem. It's not really a problem for me because I'm just using it to rise and rest bread loaves and then transfer them onto a baking stone inside the oven.

And finally the good: As I said, I've been using it daily (and sometimes multiple times per day) for several weeks. It's standing up perfectly to the constant use. After I transfer my bread into the oven I wipe the peel down with a soapy rag, rinse it, and dry it with a soft towel. You can't tell this thing has ever been used. It looks very pretty hanging from the leather thong beside my oven. It's well constructed and while you can see where bamboo pieces were joined to form it, you can't feel a single bubble, gap, or seam. That's great for me because imperfections in the surface are likely to trap cornmeal or flour and be a real pain to clean up. It's also pretty heat resistant. It took me some practice to perfect the technique for transferring sticky dough from the peel to my hot baking stone and more than a few times the peel came in direct contact with the very hot stone but the peel is none the worse for it.

For my purposes this is a wonderful peel that could only be made better by not having that stupid strip of adhesive that I can't get off.
6 helpful votes
on April 9, 2017
Like the quality and it's lasting so far (in this household of pizza fans). We usually go cheap on these, so I spent a bit more to get one that lasts. It's big enough that some people might not have a cupboard that fits it.
on May 24, 2017
An amazing, durable pizza paddle. I have also used it as a cutting board - perfect. It is a big enough size that it fits all pizzas. It is light weight and easy to handle and it is easy to store. I would highly recommend this board!