Other Sellers on Amazon
+ $4.19 shipping
+ $3.99 shipping
The dialogue is laughable, and the plot is by the numbers. But if you're a surfer (or an armchair surfer), this ultra-silly movie may prove hard to resist. It's the one about the kid from Arizona (Matt Adler), who's surfed only on artificial waves in that landlocked state, coming out to spend his last free summer hitting the serious water of Hawaii. He falls in with a mystical surf guru (Gregory Harrison), one of those surf-Zen masters obsessed with the cosmic significance of hanging ten, but he's also tempted by the flashier stunts of the younger surf crowd. Oh, and the Arizona kid also gets romantic with the prettiest girl on Oahu (Nia Peeples), which precipitates trouble with her resentful native family. If the story's no winner, the surfing action is excellent, with many real-life surfers contributing their talents. For shredders, a guilty pleasure. --Robert Horton
Top customer reviews
The "plot" is very thin (think of a watered down "Karate Kid"). Fortuntately, the "romance" is toned down although it is a factor. The ending seemed to go a little too fast, possibly due to budget constraints, but it works. Yes, the one-liners and names are great and really give a warm fuzzy feeling to the movie.
Although this was low-budget, it is still pretty good. There are a couple scenes with poor dubbing, but most of the other editing is very good. The water shots are great. The acting is very good, except for a few instances (they probably didn't have the budget for reshoots).
The transfer to DVD is excellent. I had seen it when it first came out and several times when it came out on video. The DVD version is excellent quality and could easily pass for a very good quality film today.
Definitely a feel-good movie, enjoyable alone, with a date or with family.
Most recent customer reviews
Look for similar items by category
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Drama
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Romance
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Sports
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > All Universal Studios Titles
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > Drama