Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by Noah Gundersen PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 565 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 609 reviews
on March 26, 2011
we bought one for the base of the stairs, then a few weeks later got one for the kitchen, then one for the hall. It's easy to set up and remove, low enough to step over (my wife and I are both tall), and doesn't mar the walls or woodwork.

One tip -- once you get it dialed in, take a heavy black marker and put lines on either side of the correct notch. This will remove the guesswork for when you have to put it back up in a hurry.
11 comment| 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 25, 2016
This is a basic gate that gets the job done. It is one of the least expensive gates, and it does have a few issues, but it works. I use it for my 10 pound dogs, and it works at keeping them out of things.

I wouldn't recommend it for a larger dog, or a dog that is capable of jumping a good distance as the gate is not very tall or heavy. But it does rely on pressure mount, so it really depends on if your dog is smart enough to figure out the physics and get around it. My cat has no issue jumping over it, and one of my dogs just doesn't know he's capable of doing so, where as the other dog has arthritis.

Also if you need to adjust the gate and move it around a lot, you may want to get something a little sturdier and spend the extra money. This gate is a pain to adjust as it is kind of stiff, and while I was moving it at one point it got off of its tracks, and I had to put it back together.

If you just need something quick to create a 2 foot barrier (or the appearance of one) and you don't want to spend a lot of money than this will work just fine. Otherwise spend the extra money.
on December 8, 2014
I bought this gate because I needed a way of keeping my rabbit confined to my bedroom without restricting the access my two cats have to the rest of the house. It was fairly easy to set up and it hasn't budged in the three days I've had it in my doorframe. I think it's great that the gate can nestle easily in the doorframe even when I have the door shut. This way I don't have to bother taking it down and putting it up constantly. It's really nice to be able to keep my door open without having to worry about the rabbit getting into trouble in less bunny-proof areas of the house and both the cats can jump over it with ease. It's just the right height so as to not be too much of a nuisance to step over as well, which is a plus for me since I'm relatively short. I'm about 5'3" and this gate comes up a little past my knee. My only critique is that because my doorframe is kind of between sizes, so to speak, I had a hard time getting it secure at first. Also, I'm not sure if it's the fault of my doorframe or the gate or both, but the top bumpers seem to hug the frame a little less snugly than the bottom ones which could be a problem for some. My advice: if you need to contain anything larger than a small animal it might be worthwhile to find a sturdier option.
on December 18, 2015
Holy cow, what a mess! I ordered two of these gates, and they came in separate boxes (actually the Amazon shipment sticker was pasted right on top of the box these come in- that is, the box you'd pick up at a store). BOTH gates were broken. The wooden sides of both were cracked in a very similar fashion, but one was more damaged than the other. That one also came out of the box in bits, as the wooden side wasn't the only crack in the gate. I put in for a return/refund. No point in ordering more of these cheap gates, which can't survive shipping and certainly wouldn't survive a toddler.
on March 16, 2015
Awesome quality, especially for the price. I use this "gate" (which is actually just a fancy barricade) to block my pups from access to one of the rooms, and it suits the purpose wonderfully. The gate doesn't have a fancy door or anything for frequent opening and closing (you pop it in the doorway and that's it), though it's simple enough to snap and unsnap the little lever and move it in and out the doorway. Though, I don't do this because I'm lazy, and because fortunately the gate is short enough for me -- as a 5'8" person -- to comfortably step over, yet tall enough to keep my large dogs at bay. Also, bonus for not having to mess your doorways up with hardware, screws, or holes -- the rubber nobs on the outside are fairly tough but flexible and do a good job of keeping the gate from sliding. I am so, so pleased with this gate -- will definitely be ordering another soon.
on November 30, 2016
We used this gate only a handful of times because, remarkably, we taught our toddler to go down the steps before we let her go up them. I truly do not know how we did that with both kids, but we did! This works well if you don't have a bannister and we used it in a basement setting a few times and maybe in a doorway. We never had a problem with it. It is a little bit of a pain to figure out which length to use, but that has been the issue over time with all of these style baby gates.
Simple, effective, and cheap....winning combo for us.
on January 2, 2015
Good baby gate, shipped on time, arrived in great condition. I bought this to keep my dogs out certain areas of the house and it worked pretty good. I have a husky and a pitbull and normally the husky is in a crate when I'm not home and the pitbull is loose. The main purpose of the gate is to keep her out of the kitchen so she wont eat anything or go through the trash. Also, if the husky was to get out, which happens on occasion it was to do the same. It worked fine with just the pitbull but when the husky broke out he completely pulverized it (he loves to chew and eat trash). Nothing wrong with the gate, it would be fine for babies, etc, just not husky proof. I'm going to have to get something sturdier for him. lol
on May 22, 2015
Review updated 09/2015: 2 purchased, 2 completely broken. Just as a I feared, the wood and hardware were far too flimsy to last.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
These expandable gates are functional but somewhat flimsy. The mechanism for sizing and securing the gate, while fairly well documented in the product instructions, is not entirely intuitive and took a while to get down. The wooden slats do not appear to be a great deal stronger than balsa wood, and they bend alarmingly if not treated gently.
They do the job they are designed for well and are a good price - I would have given them 4-5 stars if the wooden slats had been considerably more durable.
on August 7, 2013
I got this gate because my dog and the dog we're currently fostering haven't been getting along, and I needed a way to separate them at times without totally shutting one in another room or crating them. This is perfect. I was worried that it'd be too hard to set up, because I vaguely remember never being able to figure these out when I babysat. But it only took a few minutes. I agree with other people that it'd be a good idea to mark the correct notch (my door was 30 inches). Careful not to force the wood lever thing or it'll snap (this didn't happen to me, I could just see how it could happen). This was up in a few minutes and was very sturdy.

The dogs are both labs, so I was afraid they'd simply jump over it, but they didn't! I just put one in the other room (with a clear sight-line to us), calmly locked the gate into place, said "stay here," and walked away. The foster dog didn't move at all.

I will say that if you plan to have to cross this a lot, then I'd probably spring for the bolt-in ones that are a bit more permanent. This one would get annoying to step over all the time and/or to dismantle a lot. But if you're looking to use it sporadically or in an out-of-the-way room, I recommend this one! And you can't beat the price.
on January 11, 2015
For the price, I'm very happy. It came quickly and it works keep my Pomeranian out of the kitty litter area (aka magical candy buffet). I had no difficulty expanding it. I can't relate to the difficulty some others mentioned. My fiance and I agreed the "mechanism" was intuitive.

Some advice (that might be common sense to most, but took me awhile to figure out):
The latch can be difficult to squeeze into place when your doorway width seems to fit perfectly between two notches. I suffered a few painful pinches and scrapes trying to squeeze the metal latch wide enough until I realized: take it out of the doorway, latch it to be wide enough, then push it snug into the doorway. I could've saved myself a few nicks on the fingers if I had been quicker on the uptake.