Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 14 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 15 reviews
on May 17, 2014
I'm a huge Jane Austen fan, and a fan of Northanger Abbey specifically. I bought this pretty much on the strength of the lush cover art. When I got it in my sweaty little palms and opened it, I felt disappointed. The art wasn't *bad* exactly, but it was all hasty caricatures in flat, lifeless colors. Others have praised the artwork, and I guess I can see the appeal It just wasn't to my taste, and the cover art just isn't representative of what you're buying.

The adaptation was straightforward, sticking to the text of the original. The blurb says "lovingly" adapted, but I think "indifferently" would be more accurate. I don't think anything was gained in the move to a visual medium, though there were opportunities to make it shine.

Still, if you liked the source material, and your expectations toward the artwork aren't overblown, this is a fun way to read Northanger Abbey.
on May 30, 2016
A beautifully illustrated classic with the addition of Austen's delightful and witty prose! This is a must-read for lovers of Austen and a perfect keepsake for Janeites as well! Austen blends clever humor with dark fictional charm in a splendid ode to the Gothic novels of her time. Northanger Abbey is a firm education for young women to avoid letting their imaginations run excessively wild and fanciful from the pleasure of reading one too many novels. However, after reading Austen's Northanger Abbey, most readers will probably walk away feeling more attached to novels than ever before. Northanger Abbey encourages intellectual pursuits, and by its conclusion, every female reader will certainly be desirous of becoming a heroine in her very own romantic adventure!
on March 13, 2014
Abbey is one of Austen's more satirical novels, and I have to admit, after I read it I wasn't a huge fan. It just seemed so silly-like the drama was heightened. After some research, I found Austen meant it to be that way. Reading Butler's adaptation gave me a new appreciation for the story, and the lead characters, Catharine and Henry. Butler does a wonderful job if summarizing Austen's novel and including memorable quotes and scenes from the original.

These versions are excellent for teens, or someone who is looking to get a light version of what the book is about. It's really summed up nicely, and even as an Austen fan, I sometimes feel overwhelmed by all the little details she provides. Lee's illustration style is fantastic too. I love the angular quality of the characters and the bold lines. Note that the cover art is nothing like the artwork throughout the comic, but both are beautifully done.
on June 8, 2013
Highly recommended, and a great way to get teens to read Austen for some of you teachers out there. This is heresy to some Austen fans, but NA is my favorite Austen book, even though it was just intended to spoof gothic romance novels of the era. I read actually that it was once thought that Austen made up the books spoofed (they are that silly), but recently copies of these books have been unearthed, also proving their authors' existence--"The Mad Monk," etc. This book also breaks the common myth that Austen depicts clergymen as selfish morons; the reverend love interest here is every bit as honorable as any George Knightley. But the illustrations are just wonderful, varying from cartoonish to lush to reflect the mood of the scene.
on November 28, 2013
I got this for my wife, she has fun going through different versions of anything to do with Jane Austen, Georgette Heyer, Elizabeth Gaskell, etc. I like these comic versions because I can get a better feel for the stories she loves so much without diving into the original novel. I'm sure the originals are great, but I just haven't had the energy to try them out yet. This format is more accessible for me. This one has really cool cover-art, but the panels aren't after the same style. They're still well-done, but different, just FYI. Any guy who wants to score some points with his girlfriend or wife should consider investing in a few of these- just knowing the main characters names will make her swoon.
on May 21, 2013
The three previous comics have been read by me over and over again. This version of the story by Jane Austen did not disappoint. The plot and the images of the surroundings are remarkably assembled into each frame while the continuity as related in the original novel is maintained. Austen assumed her readers knew the geography of Bath and England in general but the illustrator of this comic takes the fact that 21st century readers do not know these features and has put them into the background throughout. Dialog is accurate to the story too. I credit Janet Lee with this accomplishment. The complete book is a very enjoyable read after one grows tired from all those good and serious reviews.
Nancy Butler has already helped Marvel Comics translate three of classic romance author Jane Austen's novels into high-quality graphic novels. Her fourth try, with the rather more challenging "Northanger Abbey", is also a success, and very much to her credit and that of artist Janet Lee.

Jane Austen never got around to publishing "Northanger Abbey" in her lifetime. It apparently was one of the first novels she wrote, but as a broad parody of the popular gothic novels of the day, she may have feared its comedy had already exceeded its shelf life. It is known that she tinkered with the novel for years. Her brother and executor finally offered it up for publication after her death, based on the literary reputation of her earlier work.

As presented in this graphic novel, "Northanger Abbey" is a nicely balanced mix of comedy, parody, and romance. The heroine, one Catherine Morland, is young and naive. Her impressions of the world depend heavily on a steady diet of gothic romances. Her first trip away from home with family friends finds the seventeen year-old plunged into the fast social whirl of the resort city of Bath. She makes new friends, some of whom will take advantage of her. Fortunately, Catherine also meets a respectable brother and sister, Henry and Eleanor Tilney. The attentions of Henry Tilney are especially welcome to the impressionable Catherine. An invitation to visit the family home of Northanger Abbey and meet the stern General Tilney is irresistable, until Catherine discovers she may walked into the middle of a real-life Gothic mystery...

"Northanger Abbey" is very highly recommended as another superb graphic novel adaptation of a Jane Austen novel.
44 comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 23, 2016
I guess it's my own fault for judging a book by its cover, but I was so interested in the cover art that I didn't realize the actual graphic novel art was completely different. Horribly disappointing! The story was decent, but the pictures just didn't do it for me.
on January 30, 2016
I used it for a Gothic Literature class. My students loved the illustrations and found it to be a great companion to the novel. Lots to talk about in terms of how the artist decided to depict some of the characters.
on January 30, 2016
Really beautiful graphics. Perfect balance to the text, which is expertly chosen and compiled. Butler has a talent for choosing the best text from Austen's work.