Northern Exposure - The Complete First Season
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
In season 1, we meet Dr. Joel Fleischman (Rob Morrow), an urban New York yuppie who consents to four years of rural servitude after Alaska pays his medical-school tuition. Joel's fish-out-of-water adventures drive the show, but it's the quirky ensemble of characters--Chris, the DJ/philosopher (John Corbett), Holling, the bartender (John Cullum), Maurice, the town patriarch (Barry Corbin), Ed, the filmmaker (Darren E. Burrows), and Maggie, the bush pilot (Janine Turner), among others-that keeps the series consistently entertaining. The town develops its own offbeat personality as well, a Mayberry-meets-Twin-Peaks blend of Native mysticism, Aurora Borealis-induced dreams, unlikely tales of long-lost family members, and rumors of a Bigfoot-like creature known simply as "Adam."
Northern Exposure provides a utopian escape--a place where life is interesting but never dangerous, everyone's insightful, the mystical becomes real, and nobody's burdened with a mundane 9-to-6 desk job. Cicely is a delightful place to visit, even if it's only for an hour at a time.
A mid-season replacement, season 1 consists of just eight episodes on two DVDs. Each episode includes 5-10 minutes of outtakes and deleted scenes. --Shane Burnett
Top Customer Reviews
The show itself deserves five stars, of course. But you already knew that. There are few people out there who are going to buy this set having never seen the show.
So, to be blunt, this DVD set is really a piece of garbage. It appears that absolutely no thought was put into making it. Well, perhaps they thought about how cheaply they could make it. But that's about it. The weak points:
1. You only get eight episodes. While I know the first season only has eight episodes, it is deceptive to market like other seasons that contain 20 or more epsiodes. Why not combine the first two seasons on one set? Better to rip off the fans, of course.
2. There are only two double-sided discs in the set. This is inexcusably cheap. It is also unecessary, since they could easily fit four episodes on one side of a disc. (Especially since they lack any substantial bonus materials.)
3. Here is my biggest gripe. There are mandatory previews to watch at the beginning of the DVD!!! When I say mandatory, I mean your remote control is locked out, and you have to sit and watch the previews EVERY TIME you put in the disc. Now, before anyone contradicts me, I acknowledge that you can fast forward. But you cannot chapter-skip ahead or jump straight to the main menu. What this does is essentially reduce the DVD medium into an glorified VHS tape. With all the unlimited possibilities of DVDs, this studio gives us almost no bonus materials and decides instead to force us to watch their crappy previews. What's next, Pepsi commercials?Read more ›
LIke everyone here I have been anxiously awaiting the reslease of this DVD.
and no price would stop me from buying it. ( I suspect the unscrupulous money mongers at Universal know this about NX fans and feel no regret taking advantage of this)
When I unwrapped the DVD and subsequently unzipped the packaing I opened the case, and much to my surprise and dissapointment I found no insert , I thought at first this was a mistake, but then when I put in the DVD to see they had mislabeled the discs, And I saw the menu layout I realized it was no mistake, it was a sign of shoddy craftsmanship
As a person who authors DVD's for a living I know how simple it is to make a ONE and it really takes someone who just does not care or an absolute nimrod to a make a DVD this bad.
Presentation really is everything in this buisness and Universal has shown their true colors with this product, they care nothing for the show only ripping people off.
All of this I can forgive , but be forewarned I have only watched three of the episodes and so far two of them have left off the first establishing 3 minute intro before the credtis. THIS IS UNBELIEVEABLE!!! and anyone who knows the show understands why this is an atrocity.
I would have rathered Universal not release it at all if they were not going to do it right!
NX gave us 5 years of complex characters and witty banter that is as close to theater as TV can come.
Speaking of demanding, I strongly recommend buying this DVD, but also suggest writing Universal about improving production. There have been multiple complaints, so I went back and reviewed my original CBS series VHS tapes versus the DVD. Here is what I found:
1) The music is all original (Kudos Columbia)
2) No scene's are missing, though some Intro scenes have been moved after the title song (Boo Columbia)
3) The DVD's are mislabeled, and no liner notes (Boo Columbia)
4) Original credits font changed (???)
5) Dobly Surround 2.1 (Boo - c'mon and make this 5.1 if your paying all the royalty fees for the music)
The next DVD can be perfection with a modicum of production improvement. Let me just say that diehards really want the original preserved just as it was, with no changes. Just like classic cars!
LET THE SERIES ROLL!
The first season only has 8 episodes (since it premiered during the summer of 1990. It might have been better to combine the 1st season with the 7 episodes of season 2 (which ran in April/May 1991, for a 15 episode set, but comprehending the mind of marketing 'geniuses' is bound to lead nowehere.) The first 'regular' seasons with 22-24 episodes only began in September 1991.
Let's hope this release signals that after season 1, the next 5 seasons will also soon see the light of day.
Some of the extras promised for this release:
Video Documentary Footage
Mock Movie Footage
(and special limited edition "Parka" packaging!)
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Some episodes are quite funny, but some are a little lacking. Can't knock the ball out of the park every at-bat.Published 28 days ago by Mary Lamb
Had this before loved it, lost it, and I'm so glad to have it again!Published 1 month ago by Jodell H.
Best and first Dramedy TV , up there with MASH , M T MOORE and the Seminole show in this new take on " the fish out of water" , but smart show with all star cast Rob... Read morePublished 1 month ago by BG
one of the best shows ever made without question. I wish you could find this quality of programming on TV nowadays, wow how times have changedPublished 2 months ago by amberger
I bought this DVD for someone else. I never cared for Northern Exposure. I would say they are all a little loopy.
But I suppose they are all good actors. Read more
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Drama
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Fantasy
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > All Universal Studios Titles
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > Comedy
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > Drama
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Universal Studios Home Entertainment > Television
- Movies & TV > TV