Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now toystl17_gno

Platform: PC Disc|Change

Showing 1-10 of 263 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 279 reviews
on August 18, 2012
Norton Antivirus 2012 - 1 User Just in case you were wondering, this is the real deal. I got the notice that my subscription to Norton Antivirus 2012 was expiring, and my subscription would automatically renew for just $39.99. I was sure I had bought a brand new copy for another machine recently, at a lower price, so I checked into Amazon to see what was available. Imagine my surprise when I found NAV 2012 brand new in the box, for $11.19 delivered (Prime eligible!). I just checked and right now it is $8.44. I can only speculate that the 2013 version is coming out soon and that lots of people won't realize that the 2012 that you buy today will upgrade itself to 2013 automatically. Anyhow, I've turned off automatic resubscription for all Symantec products and will repeat this little exercise as required. The cost-savings is certainly worth the minor inconvenience of uninstalling and reinstalling, which you don't have to do if you are prepared to pay the price for the subscription renewal.
on February 24, 2012
It is just as one user wrote before me... this product can be downloaded for renewal of a currently installed Norton product. The key is available to write down before you even press the download button. Write it down. When you open Norton, find where it says to renew, and there will be a place to input the key you have. Once you do so, you will be protected for 366 days. This is SO much cheaper than downloading from the Norton site, which was $39.99 for 3 computers (while I only have one). Thanks again Amazon!
on July 6, 2012
I bought a Norton antivirus product years ago and ended up uninstalling because it caused major performance problems on my PC. I purchased this based on the great reviews in PC mags and online, assuming that it had to be a totally different by now. Unfortunately this was not the case. I found that it randomly blocked sites like my amazon cart and even Norton's own support site. It even stopped my PS3 (connected to the same router) from playing videos from the big two online video services. There are lots of tips online about how to get it working, but it's 2012 and I'm well beyond the point of spending hours researching and tweaking settings on software just to get it work right.
on February 11, 2016
I love Norton anti-virus. It has been protecting my computers for many many years and I have never once had a problem with a virus attacking my computer while my coverage is current. The only time I have had a virus is when I let my coverage laps. It is super easy to install. It gives you updates when it is time to renew, or when you have had a virus try to attack your computer and it has blocked it. I love that it lets you know it is working. You can schedule regular scans and deep scans all you have to do is leave your computer on and let it do its thing. I always schedule my deep scans while I am sleeping and when I get on my computer the next day it gives me a full report. I would recommend this anti-virus software to anyone who uses the internet on their computer!.
on January 19, 2012
I already had Norton, which was about to expire so I downloaded this (though I was worried because of all the bad reviews). I thought it didn't work at first because it still said I had 1 day remaining. I tried uninstalling, and reinstalling Norton, but the old subscription was still active (for 1 more day). Then I tried this:

All you have to do is open Norton (click on the icon) and click on Renew. Then click on I HAVE A PRODUCT KEY TO ENTER. Enter the product key and you're set for another year.

I didn't give it 5 stars just because instructions were not provided with the download. Otherwise, everything looks fine.
66 comments| 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 29, 2012
I returned to using Norton after a five year absence primarily on the recommendation of my computer engineer. He happens to be a high level Microsoft distributor in southern California. Norton persuaded him to try its 2012 Anti-Virus & Spyware version after he had been using CA (Computer Associates) anti-virus software for years. He is also a CA distributor (but seeking to get out of his agreement with CA now). The timing for me was excellent because I, too, had been using CA for the past five years. CA was adequate until it was purchased by foreign interests last year. WARNING - stay away from ALL CA anti-virus software. It may literally kill your computer. It's 2012 version literally destroyed my Windows XP. It cost me $500 in repairs including replacement of my OS (now using Windows 7). CA outsources everything to India and their customer service refuses to provide a U.S. mailing address or contacts. Truly pathetic but it became my motivation to revert back to Norton.

The disk arrived within days (thank you Amazon). This price cannot be beaten. Most distributors are paying Norton $19.99 and reselling at $39.99. I always highly recommend using a disk versus download. I understand the convenience of downloading but for those who have downloaded this or previous Norton versions, the Law of Unintended Consequences frequently attaches.

With that caveat, let me share with you that my Norton installation was simple and absent any glitches. The program ran a complete system scan and found two viruses that CA clearly missed. This version of Norton sits quietly in the background compared to earlier versions. It doesn't hog the memory and I have not noticed any slowing of speed or quality in using all my other programs. I like that it quietly scans all one might seek to download and will identify if the product, app, etc., is safe. It is unobtrusive when it performs these functions.

KEY POINT - this version of Norton is composed of different programming than Norton Internet Suite or 360. The Suite and 360 - despite advertising to the contrary with alleged new and improved updates - are still utilizing the same software and all its defects from their previous versions. They are retreads. 2012 Norton Anti-Virus and Spyware is fresh and composed of substantially different software composition. This is apparent after using the 2012 anti-virus. You will know what I mean if you bagged on Norton in the past five years because its products provided poor quality, excessive memory usage, slow speeds, and overall undependability that wasn't worth any price. 2012 Norton Anti-Virus & Spyware is a welcome and pleasant surprise. I learned about the software re-composition from my engineer because Norton had to convince him (from an engineering angle) that it was even remotely worth his time to revisit Norton.

I am not a believer of on-line renewal. I want that disk in my hand. For this reason, and because there is no telling if the 2013 version that Norton is sure to produce will be any good, I plan to purchase another 2012 Anti-Virus & Spyware disk later in the year. When my current subscription runs out I intend on having another year of good anti-virus coverage while Norton potentially trys to figure out if there are problems with it's 2013 product.

You can't go wrong with at least giving it a try at these prices. I subsequently purchased another 2012 Norton Anti-Virus & Spyware disk with three licenses for my other computers at home and work. I say "ditto" to the above for that disk too.
on August 11, 2012
Wow, just bought Norton 2012 for $8.64!!! I was waiting for my local electronic store to have rebates for this item so I could buy the box version for $20 (while waiting for another $20 visa rebate card to come in the mail) but then I came across this downloadable version here on amazon and a few weeks ago it was about $14 bucks, well, I admit I hesitated a bit because of some of the reviews regarding the download process but it was so easy! The best part was when I finally did it the price went down to $8.64! Awesome deal for 366 days of service!

Here's how the process of downloading came down for me (Using an HP Pavilion laptop running Vista);

1. Purchase and do an initial download to your PC
2. After the folder transfers to your machine begin the download of the program (takes about 10 min with broadband). It should go into your games/program folder but mine saved below:

Here's where mine went
C:\Users\YOURCOMPUTERNAME\Desktop\Norton AntiVirus 2012 - 1 User

3. After download the registration key should pop up via HTML file. Don't worry, it will also be saved into the same folder containing your Norton file.

4. Write down key or keep the page open then finish registration. It was pretty easy.

I hope this helps others with the confusion or if they are hesitant to download. It was relitively painless and very much worth it.
on June 28, 2012
I had concerns about attempting to use the "download" option of getting a Norton Antivirus 2012 update. I had read about the several problems encountered by many customers. In my process I actually saw some of the screens/messages that were reported by those who had failed in their download/upgrade attempt. The process is not as simply as it could be, but as I carefully read each screen and tried to correctly interpret it's meaning I was able to constantly keep moving forward and acheive a totally successful download and update process. I saw one screen stating that my version had expired, I believe this was because it was picking up some residual data from my previous Norton Antivirus version (even though I had performed an uninstall of that previous version). I also saw a screen stating that I had 15 days remaining in my "Trial" period, this happened because my new version that I had just installed had not been "Activated" yet with the Norton WebSite. Once I had activated (activation process actually started on it's own) the new installation, and entered the new "Product Key" that accompanied the download, I was told that the insatllation was complete and that I had 366 days remaining on my subscription. With care and patience this process seems to work ok, I will definately use it again next year.
on May 23, 2012
Amazon delivered the product on-time. Then they (Amazon) hade to fix Norton's problems.

When the product arrived the card in the box that is supposed to have the product key label attached had a blank space where the lable was supposed to be. Clearly Norton's box stuffer didn't do his/her job correctly. We called Norton support, explained the situation and asked for key. They refused to issue the key saying that it is the responsiblity of the seller to replace the product.

I used Amazon's on-line replacement request and sent the faulty Norton product back the next day with the Amazon supplied pre-paid mailing label. Amazon did not wait to ship a replacement and the next business day the replacement arrived. A few days later Amazon notified me that they received the defective product at their returns center.

Product quality covers the whole user experience-- not just the software itself. Norton's (Symantic owns Norton by the way) disregard for the customers needs reflects a corporate disregard for quality. Not only will I never buy another Symantic (Norton) product for personal use, but I have instructed my IT staff to not renew our corporate Symantic licenses when they expire and switch to a different, quality focused, vendor instead.
on August 26, 2012
I had a warning pop up that my 30 day trial was about to expire after downloading and was pretty irked, thinking this was a bogus purchase and was actually about to go shopping for a new software program when I noticed the discontinuation warning asked for a product key. So I went back to the initial purchase on my account and saw a Product Key that must not have been asked for with the initial download of the program--or there was one more step that somehow I missed but coverage kicked in temporarily. Anyway I did a C&P of the Key code and Norton took it, got it all registered, and now should be good to go for the next year, or at least 11 months. This is a great value compared to what I paid on the Norton website for 3 computers earlier this year and this is for sure the best way to go. However, I deducted one star on the review for the panic of thinking I wasn't protected 30 days after making the purchase. Unsure if the communication problem was with Amazon, Norton, or me, as I'm severely computer challenged. Buy with confidence just be sure to register the key.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.
See 1 answered question