- File Size: 1446 KB
- Print Length: 238 pages
- Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
- Publisher: Albannach Publishing (April 8, 2016)
- Publication Date: April 8, 2016
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B01E1PP5EK
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Not Enabled
- Lending: Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #70,268 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
Not For Glory: A Historical Novel of Scotland (The Black Douglas Trilogy Book 3) Kindle Edition
Books with Buzz
Profoundly intimate and powerfully inventive, "Exit West" tells an unforgettable story of love, loyalty, and courage that is both completely of our time and for all time. See more
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Top Customer Reviews
What I loved most about this book, though, was that there was more "other stuff" in this one than the others. I got to see more of the kind of person Jamie was, and the interactions between him and others in situations other than war was a large part of that.
I would give this a solid 4 1/2 stars.
Not for Glory picks up the life the Black Douglas at the end of the Scottish victory at Bannockburn. From here Sir James, his friends and King have a brief opportunity at a little peace, and the potential of actually having Scotland recognized as a free Kingdom again. Marriages occur, children are born, and lands are distributed, but peace is not to be. Although Sir James has an heir, he finds himself in a loveless marriage. As Douglas does on the battlefield, he finds a way to avoid defeat. He finds love in one of the Queen's ladies in waiting, as well as picks up his sword to stand by King Robert the Bruce as they take on the Pope, the French, the English, as well as a treasonous attempt by some fellow Scottish lords to keep Scotland from being free.
Not for Glory has a few typos and incorrect words that plagued the previous two novels in the trilogy but outside a need for more editing this book meets the mark.
Tomlin continues to capture the emotion and essence that very well could have been Sir James. He battles in love, family, government, and war. The battlefield scenes are real, the feelings vivid, and action real. The story ends with Sir James death in life as well as his birth into infamous immortality.
I encourage members of the Clan Douglas, historical novel readers, Scottish history buffs, and people who just love a good action book with real emotion and believable characters to read not only this book but also the whole trilogy. Sir James Douglas comes to life in all his flaws, struggles, victories, and glory.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Biographical
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Historical > Biographical
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Biographical
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Historical Fiction > Biographical
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Historical Fiction > British
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Historical Fiction > European
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Historical Fiction > Scottish