Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Not the Religious Type: Confessions of a Turncoat Atheist
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Kiss Rocks Vegas Shop Now

Showing 1-3 of 3 reviews(3 star). Show all reviews
VINE VOICEon March 19, 2009
I quickly read though this book recently. It left me feeling ... well that is hard to explain, but I'll try.

The book started out really great - I mean I thought I was having a religious experience and maybe I was - then it sort of got bogged down.

The author seemed to speak out against extremism on either side of the spectrum, and did make some very good points (sort of reminded me of something I saw in one of Wilber's books), but still ended up on one side of the argument somehow. The author suggests reading the Bible and talking to God directly, but then reaches some perhaps surprising conclusions.

Maybe the best thing to do is carefully read the first part and spend less time on the second part.
on September 6, 2008
Pastor Dave breathes a warm, engaging tone into this book. It works well as a conversation with the reader, which is an impressive accomplishment given how thorny a topic he writes about.

Reading this book was a spiritual experience for me. It helped me understand how transformative an experience it can be to surrender to God and devote one's life to the pursuit of goodness.

The problem is that the book fails in its central effort: to convince the reader of the worth and necessity of Christian faith. The reason for the failure is that many of rhetorical devices that Pastor Dave uses do not withstand logical scrutiny.

For example, Dave starts in one section from the assumption that any valid religion should harness the power of surrender to God. He then goes through a laundry list of religions, such as Confucianism, Taoism, Buddhism, Judaism, and Islam. He decides that only Christianity (and Islam) adovate for surrender. A point in favor of Christianity? Only if you can't spot the obvious fallacy: what about all the possible "religions" that haven't yet been invented? Why count only history's most popular religions? What about Zoroastrianism for example? Jainism? It's unclear how acknowledging the worth of surrender to a higher power necessitates that Jesus of Nazareth was the son of God and that he performed miracles and died for our sins.

Dave's argument against absolute truth and support for relative truth also does nothing to argue for Christianity. Instead it just opens up an existential can of worms that led me to wonder how he can ever be sure of anything.

And so it goes...I'm no closer to being Christian now than when I first read the book. It did make me see more clearly what my own attitude toward religion and spirituality is.
on February 20, 2015
Good for some who fit this personality and those who wanta to understand them. Nevertheless, we can all relate.