BCA Month Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale raydonovanfinale  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now HTL17_gno

on July 31, 2012
"Not Young, Still Restless" is the wonderful and insightful biography of legendary actress Jeanne Cooper, known to millions worldwide as the rich and powerful Katherine Chancellor on "The Young and the Restless", the #1 soap opera in the U.S. since 1988.

In the book Jeanne discusses her entire life from being raised part Indian to be molested not once, but twice as a little girl and how that had a severe effect on her life. She writes about coming to Hollywood and working with some of the greats on film and primetime TV. She discusses her various love affairs, her film and TV roles and her only marriage that ended in a divorce, yet produced the love of her life, her three children.

After the marriage ended she needed money so she could send her kids through high school and college and in 1973 Bill Bell, creator and writer of a new soap opera at CBS, offered her a role on his new serial. In November, 1973 Katherine Chancellor debut and "The Young and the Restless" has never been the same.

With the ratings of the show in the basement (not uncommon for a new soap) Bill pitted rich socialite Kay against the poor/born on the wrong side of the tracks Jill Foster for the attention of Phillip, Kay's husband. At this point Katherine was a drinker, loved her stable boys and smoked like a train. Phillip, bored with his marriage, started a sexual and loving relationship with Jill who was now working on the Chancellor estate as Kay's Girl Friday. As the story progressed into 1974 then 1975 the ratings soared as viewers watched each day to see if Phillip would leave the drunken Kay and go with the beautiful Jill. By 1975 "The Young and the Restless" hit #1, nabbed the Emmy for Best Drama and continued to soar in popularity with Jeanne's story and performance as one of its attributes.

Jeanne also discusses her long-time problem with alcoholism that almost got her fired from the soap. It was her son Corbin Bernsen and boss Bill Bell who finally persuaded Jeanne to get help through AA and to get her life on track.

In 1984 Jeanne was tired of looking so old so she opted to have a face-lift which was written into the story on the serial. Jeanne's real-life face-lift operation was actually filmed and used on "The Young and the Restless", the first such proceedure to ever be shown on television.

Jeanne writes about her love affair with sexy Beau Kayzer in the 1970's who actually played her son Brock, her troubles with certain actresses on the show, the firing of Brenda Dickson in 1987 who played her rival Jill for so many years, the sometimes bad stories she was given, but mostly praises Bill Bell as the genius he was.

An excellent and well-written memoir you will enjoy "Not Young, Still Restless" tremendously.

A daytime Emmy-winner (FINALLY!) Jeanne is funny, serious and extremely intellectual in writing her life. An A+ read.
88 comments| 138 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 20, 2016
Loved it. So much detail, hard to remember it all. I love her stories about herself and Hollywood contemporaries whom she associated with / dated. LOVE her SPUNK. Love that she identified herself very closely with her long time character Katherine Chancellor. Loved how she talked so much about her children. She also talked about her philanthropic passions as well. She was a great spirit on and off camera. She was very versatile actor. I love the way she spoke of her long time cast mates on Y&R. Basically I loved the book!
on August 16, 2014
Loved Jeanne Cooper on Young and a Restless and I thoroughly enjoyed reading her memoir. She kept it classy, even speaking highly of Brenda Dickson (former Jill Abbott) who totally trashed Jeanne in her own weird book. Maybe would have liked a little more dirt - that's why 4 stars instead of 5 - but then again, she didn't whitewash everything and had she rolled around in the mud more, it probably wouldn't have been as satisfying to read. Made me miss "Mrs. C" even more.
on March 9, 2017
As a long time Y&R fan...since the very first episode, Jeanne Cooper has always been one of my favorite actresses. It has been immensely entertaining to get to know her real-life personna and she does not disappoint. Unlike some stars' memoirs that are salacious kiss and tells with chapter after chapter of exploits, Jeanne's book is much more interested in telling the good about her fellow actors and friends in such favorable light that it all seems nearly to perfect. Rather, i think it is because that is really the way she chooses to see people. Very refreshing. A quick read that left me even more impressed with the woman behind Mrs. C.
on July 30, 2017
I enjoyed the book very much. I was a 'Young and Restless' fan in the past from the soaps' beginning. It was interesting learning about the behind scenes of the soap as well as Jeanne's life. Also, I was unaware that Jeanne Cooper was the mother of the actor Corbin Benson whom I enjoy watching.
on September 16, 2014
I grew up with Jeanne Cooper (Catherine Chancellor) on the Young and Restless.
She was such a beautiful, realistic, fascinating lady. It was easy to get caught up
in her character. I had no idea her real life was as fascinating and exotic as her
character.
It broke my heart on Y&R as I could tell something was very wrong and she was
really sick. She stuck it out until her life ended, playing Mrs. Chancellor as she
had for so many, many years.
I could not put her book down. So glad she wrote her memoir before she left us for
a better place (Heaven).
on September 16, 2016
I enjoyed every inch of the book. But, mostly the stories about her castmates of The Young and the Restless. I am a true fan and reading about them, I felt a bit more closer in knowing them. Will always miss her. Because of her and all of the true veterans of the show, is the reason I watch today. Thanks Jeanne.
on May 25, 2016
Loved it! I have watched Y & R since I was a kid with my mom. It was her favorite soap! Mrs. C was one of my fave characters. The book was excellent and fast paced! If your a fan of this soap or Jeanne Cooper, I highly recommend it!
on July 4, 2013
I was a late commer to viewing Y&R but soon learned that Jeannie Coopers portryal of Kathrine Chancelor was definately a Leading Lady. It was fun to look at the jewels she always wore and the beautiful clothes. Those were her sparkeling trademark but her portrayal of the role was so filled with drama and emothion I felt I was in the room watching the. I could not resist purchasing her book and as I read her words, it was like having her in my house and she was telling the story to me personally. She shared her life with all her readers. Some of it was very sad and some of it was full of joy. Her three children were wonderful and I loved the stories about her animals.

Jeannie Cooper was a very gracious woman who extended herself financially to many people who needed assistance, wether it just be a sympathetic ear or financial, she found a way to help so many people. She unselfishly asked for nothing in return. I know that all the lives she touched have been blessed. Just as my own life has been both enriched and blessed after reading her book.

Y&R willl never be quite the same.

Her family will always feel a void when they are together.

This is one book I have saved on my Kindle. I want to go back again and again to fill my cup with her wisdom.
on July 29, 2017
Enjoyed this book because I read, almost exclusively, memoirs...non-fiction etc., but I am not a soap opera buff and know nothing about the characters Ms Cooper referred to, however I would highly recommend this book for anyone who is a fan of soaps, especially the Young and Restless.