Editors' Holiday Gift Picks Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Subscribe & Save Gifts for Him Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services westworld westworld westworld  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 30, 2010 8:02:08 PM PST
booklover99 says:
What's the deal? This book was released today, yet it isn't available to order and amazon says it "has not yet been released." In addition, there is no "pre-order" available which there always is when a book isn't yet released (which it has been, because it was released today). Is amazon boycotting this publisher too? Bizarre.

Posted on Jan 30, 2010 9:21:16 PM PST
newtonian says:
Yes, according to the NY Times. Seems like a self defeating move. If people learn that other internet sellers have a better selection, those will become their default.

Posted on Jan 30, 2010 9:42:49 PM PST
booklover99 says:
That's total BS. Then they should just say "not available on amazon," rather than lie and say the book "hasn't been released." Ironically Edwards-esque of them to lie so boldly though. Whatever. It's annoying enough to make me want to cancel the prime membership. Thanks for your answer, now I'll shop elsewhere.

Posted on Jan 31, 2010 3:53:28 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 10, 2010 6:41:29 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 31, 2010 4:17:20 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 31, 2010 6:50:44 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2010 6:45:58 AM PST
booklover99 says:
I appreciate your response, but that article doesn't made any sense. If it's over kindle pricing being too low (my boyfriend has kindle, and I don't ), McMillan's gripe that this hurts hardcover sales of $24 is illogical in that Amazon wouldn't charge $24 for the hardcover either. It would be $16, or something. Just like B and N, costco, target, etc. I'm about so annoyed maybe I'll boycott the book and amazon both. To pull books and boycott books - ridiculous. Hurts the authors, kills sales, seriously alienates readers. Stupid.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2010 6:47:06 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 31, 2010 6:50:57 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2010 9:22:50 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 31, 2010 9:23:19 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2010 10:10:32 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 31, 2010 10:25:20 AM PST]

Posted on Jan 31, 2010 4:54:17 PM PST
C. Gristy says:
I was able to pre-order this book and received it yesterday.

Why isn't Amazon selling it any longer?

Looks like it's going to be one heck of a juicy read.

Posted on Jan 31, 2010 8:15:36 PM PST
Searching says:
I looked for this book on Amazon first then bought it from Barnes & Noble. I don't understand why Amazon isn't selling this book.

Posted on Feb 1, 2010 9:54:41 AM PST
B. Branigan says:
I cannot coney how annoying this is. I really want to read this book. Last week I checked on it and it said it wouldn't be available on Kindle until April. WTF???

Come on Amazon. All I do is pitch the Kindle to my friends, all day every time someone asks about it. Get it together!!!

Posted on Feb 1, 2010 11:30:02 AM PST
amazon just a bunch of crooked shysters anyway, i bought 2,300 hundered dollars whorth of crap and reurned 4 or 5 severly damaged iteims and they cancel my account.spent over 20 grand with last year,they are not loyal to thier customers

Posted on Feb 2, 2010 4:24:27 AM PST
Normand says:
I bought a Kindle for the Green-factor, money-saving factor, ease of accessibility, and convenience. Never was I informed many new books would not be available for weeks or months. I'm outraged and feel very strongly Amazon should not back down to money hungry publishers now. The numbers of Kindle owners should have some clout here. Continue your boycott of MacMillan, and I urge consumers to do the same. That's what will affect change.

Posted on Feb 2, 2010 9:31:23 AM PST
Flying Tiger says:
This book's unavailability is not a political issue but rather a dispute between Amazon and Macmillan over the price of the Kindle version of Macmillan's books. Amazon wanted to dictate the price at $9.99; MacMillan wants more. Amazon pulled ALL Macmillan books, but lost 5% in sales as a result. Amazon capitulated, but has yet to re-list the Macmillan books.

I can understand publishers trying to squeeze more profit out of a sale. Kindle eliminates printing, distribution costs and there are no "remainders" or "shrinkage." They would love to charge the same price for a hardcover. Amazon wouldn't mind, either.

On the other hand, consumers don't have to accept these costs; they can simply buy another book.

I can also predict that this controversy will pique the curiosity and anti-corporate stance of some hackers, who will make it their business to "crack" the Kindle, and posting free versions ...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  11
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Jan 30, 2010
Latest post:  Feb 2, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers