Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 10 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 14 reviews
on July 7, 2015
Disclosures: I do not know the author, I have no financial stake in this book, I did buy it on Amazon. I successfully used this book in my graduate class on law and policy. Anyone who is interested in partaking in today's discussion on security and surveillance would be well advised to read this book. Its biggest asset is that it presents a balanced view of the issues. You can then make up your own mind.
on August 1, 2011
Most of us have wondered how well the law protects our privacy, given the rapid pace at which new technologies have emerged over the past few decades. Daniel J. Solove is a law professor who clearly understands privacy law, and its implications (and shortcomings) regarding the Internet. He is, without a doubt, one of the best writers we have on the subject. His writing style is lucid, easy-to-read, and free of legal jargon.

Privacy is a big issue online these days, but I don't think the era of Facebook, Google, and iPhones is going to be rolled back any time soon. It shouldn't be, and we shouldn't exhaust ourselves demanding that the companies behind these products respect our privacy. The forward march of technology might be inevitable, but the erosion of how well the law affords privacy protection for each citizen's online activity is far from deterministic. We can still work to enact legislation that will protect all of us. And I'd argue that we should.

Daniel Solove has written a brilliant introductory guide to this area of the law. I'd recommend this book to anyone interested in online privacy law. If you've ever been even remotely curious about your rights regarding your own digital footprints, buy it now.
on May 4, 2011
Solove has done it again: a fascinating and important work on privacy and national security that leaves no stone unturned and grips the reader with laugh-our-loud moments. Nothing to Hide highlights the stakes in our national security agenda with serious insight and deep analysis. Solove takes apart the arguments and assumptions animating current surveillance efforts, and in a story-telling style, helps us appreciate the full range of their costs and benefits. Solove gives us a set of tools to understand and critically assess emerging technologies of surveillance like the TSA body scans, fusion centers, and the like. A must read!
on September 2, 2013
Before I read this book, I had no understanding of privacy laws. This book was not easy to read for me. I work in the networking CE field and I don't have any background in laws. But I learned a lot from reading this book. It is an eye opener for a non-expert. The book is good enough that I intend to read it a second time.
on June 9, 2014
I don't normally get into legal writings, but this was is different. It gives you clarity as to why your privacy is important and why it is important to protect your rights!

While you may start out reading and thinking you have nothing to hide, you will find that you really have nothing to share.
on June 10, 2016
The topic is quite interesting, and the author knows his stuff well. But knowing it and writing it is a different topic. The book gets a little repetitive at times, and is very dry in writing style.
on February 4, 2014
Solove makes this complex topic easy to understand, so much so that it is required reading for our executive staff. If we could wave our magic wand wand and have every citizen of the US read it, we would.
on October 16, 2012
Absolutely fascinating content! Used one of the chapters within my high school English class. Had my students read one of the sections and it sparked a great debate!
on August 14, 2013
This book is very well written, with good examples of situations where security and privacy should be protected, not traded.
I recomend to my students here in Brazil.
on July 1, 2014
Very readable book on privacy, and not a repetition of what you have heard before.