Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 13 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 86 reviews
on October 11, 2014
When I saw the DVD of the original production of Notre Dame de Paris, sung in French, I enjoyed it so much, especially the final song, that I sought out a CD of it. This CD, the English translation, seemed perfect, since I only have a slight familiarity with the French language. Notre Dame de Paris is essentially a rock opera, thus in that style, the repeated phrases of lyrics seem to fit. Granted, the English translation is not very elegantly done--after all, the translating lyricist was working off French lyrics whose essence had to be maintained plus fit the music, so I am not bothered by the repetition. The show is a spectacle, and the pounding music and pounding lyrics seem to be just right for what the authors and director were trying to accomplish. The cast members retained from the French production, Daniel Lavoie and Garou, are the strongest actors and singers. Garou, with his gravelly voice, is perfectly cast as the lumbering grotesque Quasimodo. And Lavoie captures the angst of the priest who has fallen for a gypsy girl, defying everything he has been taught and shattering his vows to the church. Tina Arena, however, is vocally not up to the task. She belts out her songs in true rock fashion, but her big number, Ave Maria, is completely devoid of emotion. It is very hard to get why three disparate characters are so infatuated with her. Granted, had I been watching her performance rather than simply listening, I might have come away with a different opinion. As for the music, some of it is not all that inspired, but two numbers stand out, Belle and the finale Dance My Esmeralda. The three suitors sing their longing in Belle, and it is a lovely melody. Garou's performance of Dance My Esmeralda is heartbreaking, tender and majestic all at once, and the refrain is soaring and beautiful. In fact, when this track comes on in my car, I play it over and over. I absolutely love it. I can't say this is a great show, judging it from this recording and the DVD performance, but it is entertaining. And that song--I can't get it out of my head. Note: the listing implies that Celine Dion is in this show; in effect, the CD begins with her recording of one of the songs, then the rest is the cast of the show performing the songs in order of performance.
on July 12, 2012
I brought this cd because i loved french version of it. I finally got the English version & well to be honest i didn't enjoy it that much. i'll explain the reasons why...
So i'm going through album track by track.

Live for the one i love starting with the opening track They took this beautiful heartbreaking ballad & turned it into an overblown pop version of the song! it's translation which i might add sucks as the other one done by tina Arena!
Performed by Celine Dion

The Age Of The Cathedrals
Thank god that they had some of the original cast from the french version on here!
it would have been awful if they replace them. this song is very beautiful in english.sung by Bruno Pelletier as Gringoire

The Refugees
Great song in both versions of the song English & french!
sung by Luck Mervil with ensemble.

The Bohemienne Song
now getting to bad ones the songs of esmeralda whom i believe they destoryed the beauty of her songs
which most of them suck...except for the brids they put in cages!sung by tina arena.

Belle (Is The Only Word)
Beautiful as the french version sung by the three men in the story garou(Quasimodo)Daniel Lavoie (Frollo)& Steve Balsamo(Phoebus) who are drawn to this gipsy girl.

My Heart If You Will Swear
The only song that Natasha St-Pier sings as Fleur-de-Lys and is different from the french tracklisting.
very good job from the french pop singer.

Torn Apart
the same beat as Déchiré but without apart in the english version.
Steve Balsamo

The Bells
Completely different from the french version with an intro by Gringoire & Frollo sung by Bruno Pelletier & Daniel Lavoie,
now this version just with qusimodo singing about his bells & new found love for esmeralda sung by Garou.

The Pagan Ave Maria
This version lacks beauty that noa sings is much better in french! sung by tina arena.

Your Love Will Kill Me
Beautiful versions of this song both in english & french.
sung by Daniel Lavoie.

Moon
I appreciate both versions of this lyrically beautiful song.
sung by Bruno Pelletier.

God You Made The Word All Wrong
I don't even like this song in french or English!
sung by Garou.

I'm A Priest
Beautiful song,also very haunting in both versions of french & English.
sung by Daniel Lavoie.

The Birds They Put In Cages
Now the only good song i like that's on this cd!
A duet from french version performed live by Helene Segara & Garou,
here in english Sung by Tina Arena and Garou.

Cast Away
Another song that inculding on the french live cast album after The Birds They Put In Cages
les oiseaux qu'on met en cage...
sung by Luck Mervil with ensemble.

Live For the One I Love
This is last song esmeralda sings before she's hanged.
sung by tina arena.

Dance My Esmeralda
The final song on this cd it's beautiful as french version sung by Garou.
on December 14, 2011
I already have one copy of this CD and am getting another one for a friend for Xmas. It is incredible. The singing voices are outstanding...the lyrics powerful. It is spiritual...from a Catholic point of view...but deals with the normal issues of lust, as well as, blaming women for their sexuality. Quasimodo is my hero!!!
His model of love is so perfect....he shows it is possible. Plus, he is angry at God for his looks...as many of us get angry when life seems unfair. He sings this without shame...as we need to. God is a God who can hear all of our lamenting and has deep compassion for it all...big or small. I am studying to be a chaplain and this song captures the plight of many who are suffering. It's endearing....the whole thing. What passion!
on February 25, 2000
I am very impressed with the translation. They have actually managed to fit a nearly literal translation into the tunes (which is not easy), with the rhymes and everything. I dare say this is the best translation job of songs I have ever seen. I was blown away by the rhymes in the French version (especially in "Belle"), and I didn't think they'd be able to get them the same in the English. Oh boy, was I wrong! I'm amazed. I am also quite impressed with the singers, who are all excellent. Most of them are the same as on the French recording. It is almost as incredible as the original recording in French, in my opinion. If you don't understand French--and by all means, even if you do--this is the CD to get. My only regret is that it doesn't have more of the musical. I hope another recording comes out with more English songs from the musical. If you want to hear more of it, get the 2-CD French set. I recommend getting both recordings.
on May 20, 2000
Notre Dame de Paris is an excellent musical, however, it is lacking in a number of areas. First, the story is very hard to follow from the cd. Because it is a compilation, it does not have the same feeling that a live cast recording would have. It is more a pop rendition of a musical. On a good note, Tina Arena's voice is absolutely phenomenal. She opens her mouth and the goosebumps start. Plamondon's & Jenning's lyrics are very well done setting the mood of the piece. Cocciante's music is both eerie and compelling. His music kept me listening over and over again. Cocciante's is unlike most of the other contemporary composers on Broadway and The West End. It's nice to see a fresh approach to musical theater for a change. If you like compassionate, heart felt musicals, then this is one to put in your collection.
on September 19, 2010
I saw a few video clips of Notre Dame de Paris ,the Paris production on YouTube,was enchanted with the music, so bought a DVD and soon after got 2 CDs, a French version and an English version. The music is beautiful. I prefer is sang in the original language-French, also I do not like Celine Dion's arrangement of "Live for the one I love". I listen to both very often. My suggestion - go for the original French Language Version but definitely include either of them in your CD collection.
on June 29, 2011
When I heard the French version of a couple of songs on YouTube a few months ago, I knew I had to own it. I was surprised to find there was an English version of the musical. This version is fantastic but as a couple of other reviewers indicated, due to translation vs music, some phrases are repeated to avoid awkwardness between score and text. Nevertheless, I still highly recommend this version!
on December 26, 2012
Fine service. Acceptable time period. Too bad the booklet of the cd (with the lyrics inside) was totally wet and therefore impossible to read; pages were stuck together. Maybe the sellercould send me a new booklet..?
on November 17, 2009
I recently purchased Notre Dame de Paris through Amazon and there was no problems what so ever. I am very pleased and happy so I have only good things to say about the way everything is handeled here. I live in Denmark but even so it only took a litle under a week for my purchase to arrive at my door. Very nice :-)
on September 29, 2013
I could only recommend it to any musicals fan! I have been looking for this particular CD for 11 years and now can't get enough of it.