Industrial Deals HPC Rebound Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry SpringEvent_Lawn_and_Garden Save $20 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment westworldS2 westworldS2 westworldS2  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on August 22, 2016
Finding a sleep aid can be a Goldilocks experience -- sometimes it's necessary to try a few before you find one that's just right. For me, L-Tryptophan is just right, and it has been for years.

Unlike a "sleep aid," which more or less puts you to sleep and keeps you asleep, L-Tryptophan lets you fall asleep and stay asleep. For me, that's an important difference! L-tryptophan is an essential amino acid, which means the body can't make it, so it has to be consumed through foods or supplements. It can be helpful for persons (like me) who have difficulty "turning off" to sleep. It can help generally with feeling anxious or wound-up, and when you're more relaxed you breathe more easily, which means you relax more, and so forth. Ultimately, tryptophan converts to serotonin, a neurotransmitter that helps with mood and sleep.

You might be wondering why one would take L-tryptophan, with its roundabout way of producing serotonin, rather than just take melatonin, which is one of the better-known sleep-assisting supplements. Well, some folks -- like me -- get nightmares and night terrors on melatonin. I've tried several times over the years to take it, each time with the result that I have horrifying night terrors. I've never had a negative response to L-tryptophan.

I've also used NOW products for years. The NOW brand meets my requirements for any supplement that I consume. It's manufactured in a cGMP (Current Good Manufacturing Practices) facility. In fact, it was one of the first manufacturers to pursue GMP certification (which means, consequently, that its facility is FDA-approved). And they do extensive product quality testing.

So, having used this product for years, I can recommend the NOW Foods L-tryptophan without hesitation. As with any supplement that you're taking for the first time, it's important to do your homework to ensure that what you're ordering, and from whom, seems like a good match for whatever symptom you hope to address. In this case, from long experience, I can say that I've found L-tryptophan to be consistently helpful for sleeping without side effects.
on April 18, 2017
Have been taking tryptophan for several years now as needed- it's a lifesaver for PMS, anxiety, and those low winter moods. What's wonderful about it is the fact you can just take some at night if you're dealing with any of the previous issues, and in the morning you'll wake up not only fully rested, but with a lingering sense of happiness and calmness. It's too bad more people don't try this before they head to the SSRI's or other heavy-duty pharmaceutical medications. Love the stuff.
33 comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 30, 2017
Tryptophan is a precursor (building block) to 5-HTP which in turn is a precursor to the neurotransmitter serotonin. Serotonin is needed to make the sleep hormone melatonin. It helps to understand this relationship when you use these products. Some people use this for mood support and others use it to help with sleep. Tryptophan is found in turkey and chicken and can make you sleepy when you eat a lot of it. 5-HTP is a less costly product but it does not work for everyone. Try 5 HTP before using tryptophan and if it is not effective then give Tryptophan a try. Typical doses for Tryptophan are .5 to 2 grams. This is an amino acid and you will get the best results when taken on an empty stomach. Some people find that taking some vitamin B6 and or B3 with this can help it work better as they is a cofactors in the synthesis of serotonin and melatonin. If you take any mediation for depression you want to clear this with your health care provider first I have used NOW products for years and believe they have good quality products and they hold to GMP standards. They are made in the USA and they keep their pricing reasonable. I will add that some people believe Tryptophan is dangerous because it was taken off the market years ago for causing serious problems and even death. That was due to a contaminated batch of tryptophan that came from a Japanese manufacturer. It was the contamination that hurt people, NOT the tryptophan. Always make sure you buy it from a reputable manufacturer.
on September 5, 2014
I took the advice of another reviewer and tried this with L-Theanine. I am now ambian free and sleeping great! I also focus on my breath instead of my thoughts. I awake feeling refreshed, with no more fog mind. I take 1.5 of this an hour before bed.
0Comment| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 2, 2017
I tried taking these before bed, and they helped a little bit when I woke up in the early morning hours, since I was able to fall back asleep a little bit more easily than I was without them.

However I have found a better method. I keep the bottle next to my bed along with a glass of water. When I wake up at 3am or so, I take two pills. In a short time I fall back asleep very easily and soundly.
on October 29, 2017
I've had issues with insomnia my whole life. When my doctor recommended this I was hesitant, but it really helped reset my internal clock. I've since stopped using it, but I feel as though it's because it did what it was supposed to. For me, if I took it and was in bed within 30 minutes, it helped me sleep through the night and get quality sleep. I could sleep for less than 8 hours and feel completely rested when I woke up. If I DiDn'T get to bed though, I'd get antsy and uncomfortable, like when you stay up way too late for too many days.
on November 11, 2013
The only thing I don't like about this product is paying for it. Other than that, I think it is a miracle. One of these pills combined with 3 mg of melatonin puts me right out, and I have had insomnia for 35 years. This combination works as well as prescription meds I have taken in the past.
11 comment| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on July 25, 2016
Finally, an answer to my sleep problems!! I've tried so many supplements to now avail. Granted, I do use a combination of things but it wasn't until I added L-Tryptophan that I could finally sleep through the night and wake up feeling rested!!
on May 16, 2017
I have been having issues with staying asleep - waking up several times a night. RX sleep aids made me groggy and Melatonin makes things worse. After much research and trying several combinations I take 2 tablets of L-tryptophan with 1 Now 500mg GABA and 1 Zen Sleep for the perfect nights sleep!
on November 23, 2017
My husband liked this and b6 together. He ended up going with lithium oratate from Amazon because it's cheap and he only has to take one pill. He has ADHD and is on the spectrum. He was calmer with tryptophan and b6 but with lithium, he said he feels at peace and doesn't get bouts of rage.

As his wife, while tryptophan eased this symptom, lithium is something I never want him to run out of (neither does he).
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse