Lyft Industrial Deals Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 319 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 346 reviews
on June 15, 2013
This is a real honest review from a real person. You may contact me if you wish to know more.

My first week on Spirulina was interesting. Let me first start off by saying I misjudged the people here complaining about taste. I have a strong stomach so I tend to ignore these types of complaints & whines. The first thing you need to know is that this is a freshwater blue green algae folks, I'm not sure why you're all expecting it to taste like gourmet food.

After getting the Spirulina I popped it open. It was perhaps the deepest green color I'd ever seen. It looked like it came straight from a lush rain forest.

I poured about 6 ounches of water and 1 tablespoon of the Spirulina into a protein shaker, shook it up and proceeded to slug it down with a big gulp. Let me remind you I have a super-strong stomach. As the first slug made it half way down my throat I gagged and almost heaved on spot. I was truly not expecting how bad the taste was to come. I've eaten some funky tasting supplments/powders before, non of which prepared me for this taste. The people on here calling it pond scum are being polite.

Now, that is the negative part. You'll notice I still gave this product 5 stars. The same morning I first tried Spirulina I brewed myself a large cup of coffee from my Keurig. After I chugged the Spirulina I got a super happy pro-active energy burst. It was like a thermogenic fat burner without the jitters. I ended up forgetting about my coffee and 3 hours later was working strong on some things I had to do. So far I'm getting through the taste through gritted teeth, but the way its making me feel is worth it!

*** Update Week 3 ***
- Tried 1 tablespoon in apple sauce to dilute taste. This did not work and still tasted bad.
- Successfully mixed in one tablespoon with veggie shakes. Reduced taste and was drinkable, but I'm lazy and don't make shakes every day.
- I've heard things like grape juice can cut the taste but have not yet tried this.
- Taste has not gotten easier. Buying a $20 easy capsule maker to capsule the powder.
88 comments| 243 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 30, 2017
Excellent product. I've taken spirulina on and off through the years. My primary purpose has been to give my body the fuel it needs prior to my morning workout, which happens before I can fathom eating. I tend towards hypoglycemia and spirulina keeps me mentally grounded as well as making possible an hour of physical exercise. NOW is one of the few companies that offers organic spirulina. This is important, as there can be contamination issues. I continue to be very pleased with the integrity of the company and my body's positive response to this product.
on May 17, 2016
Very good to add to my kale spinach berry smoothies. My eye doctor seems to love my recipe (she said it is great for eyes because of all the vitamins). This powder recommended by Abel James and the Wild Diet. Feel great adding it in. Also NOW is a very well regarded supplement producer.
on May 15, 2015
my goodness I love this... I put one tablespoon in my protein shake in the mornings and I could feel the difference in energy. it does smell bad but I does not taste bad when I put it in my protein shake. I don't need coffee when I take this :-) I'm super happy I found this specially after reading the benefits online. All my friends are getting into it too :-)
on January 30, 2017
I just placed an order for the second bottle.
It's a great product, the taste tells you that's real, no preservatives or other artificial crap.
Mix it up with veggie smothie, add a bunch of almonds and enjoy it, instead of complaining:)
on June 17, 2015
I love taking my teaspoon of spirulina in the morning before work I am super charged for hours! Sometimes a little too charged for my co workers LOL! Can definitely feel it working....caffeine has nothing on this stuff...I was wondering if i can add it to hot tea but am afraid because it is an algae
on February 10, 2012
This is a great deal. I use a Tb per day in my whey protein shakes. It does taste pretty bad, but it helps balance out a diet that is lacking in green vegetables. I had bought NOW Foods brand spirulina at my local health food store, but it cost twice as much per serving and was not labeled as "organic". I've read that it's important to get Spirulina from a reputable source because it can contain small amounts of toxic items. Anything taken long term should be scrutinized, as it could have a permanent effect on your health (as I recently read about someone taking GLA who believes she has a permanent health reaction to it.) At least with a certified organic product from NOW Foods there is less possibility of contamination. Have only been taking it for a month and a half, with NOW Foods Whey Protein powder, a new exercise routine and some other diet and health changes and overall I feel great!
on January 22, 2015
Excellent product! I had a growth on my shoulder like a pimple but big and red, it hurt a lot and it would not go away. I began taking spirulina and within a week it disappeared.
on February 20, 2014
When I prepared my first dose of this product I got myself psyched up to down it because of some of the negative reviews I read before buying saying how awful the taste was. Well to those of you who wrote negative reviews about the taste I have to say that you were exactly right... initially. So I choked it back and I felt like I was going to chuff it out half-way down but I made it through and surprisingly I felt fine when it was over. Like no different than knocking out a big glass of water fine... Like afterward, not during; and I found it very agreeable with my system. No tummy ache etc..So the taste didn't improve for a while and I repeated this ritual every morning for about three weeks. It got better. I mean this stuff isn't Kool-Aid. It's algae. ALGAE. I accepted this and So did my palate and today the taste doesn't bother me... that much. I guess there was a breaking in period for this stuff. At least for myself. Sound have I experienced any noticeable benefits? Yes. More sustained energy throughout the workday. Subtly, my overall awareness has increased... like spatial memory and overall mental clarity. I'm feeling a little sharper I guess and that's good being at work 10+ hours a day; and during my workouts I seem to recover MUCH quicker between sets than before. Anyway I could go on. So, for those wanting to try this stuff I would say be prepared for it to be some rough stuff. This isn't a drink for pleasure, it is a drink for health. But like anything else good for you, it'll take some getting used too. I believe the benefits for me are far outweighing the getting used to the taste part. Five stars.
on March 17, 2012
I have used other Spirulina and found them to be strongly flavoured, a bit like fishy seawater or fishing docks.

According to Now Foods, this is Hawaiian Spirulina. Perhaps that is the difference. If you are unfamiliar with Hawaiian Spirulina and how it's processed, do read up on it. It's quite different from most processing.

First, I smelled it in the container. Very little scent. Then, I put one teaspoon powder into one cup water. Dissolved nearly instantly with the least bit of stirring. Very, very mild flavour. I won't hesitate to add it to various savory and sweet smoothies.