Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning animespring animespring animespring  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Flavor: Flowering Tea Gift Set|Size: 1 Count|Change

Showing 1-10 of 693 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 913 reviews
on September 29, 2006
I've waited a long time to get this set as it was very expensive when it first came out. It was well worth the wait, actually would've been well worth the cash had I spent it earlier. Amazon has a really low price on this.

The clear glass teapot holds about 16oz when full. Each tea flower will make 3 pots. The 3rd pot of tea is as good as the first, the 4th is weak.

The tea itself is excellent. Some of the best I've tasted and I'm very particular about the tea I drink. I've been enjoying the variety that came with the pot - haven't found one I've disliked yet and it is fun trying them all.

Since you will get about 6 cups of tea with each tea flower - they are all beautiful, I put the teapot on the table while the tea steeps so every can enjoy it. You will want to drink this with family or friends.

The whole set comes packaged nicely in a bamboo box that looks handmade. The box is pretty enough to be re-used for something else. The variety of tea is in a smaller bamboo box.

If you are looking for Christmas gifts, this would be an awesome one.
88 comments| 377 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 30, 2006
This is a wonderful item! I bought it when I first heard about flowering tea. It's a great starter kit because it comes with 9 different kinds of tea--all of which are beautiful to watch and delicious to drink. Now that I bought this set, I know which ones are my favorites.

I made my first pot of flowering tea when I was having a very bad day, and the simple act of brewing this tea and admiring the beautiful shapes and colors made me feel so much better. It sort of turns a normal pot of tea into an event!

I plan to buy this again to give as a gift. I love it.
11 comment| 127 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 5, 2016
The box it came in was pretty big, 3 bamboo cases could have fit in it. Inside the case everything is snug and it presents nice. The pot itself feels like borosilicate glass. The lid has a vent hole, so when you pour there is no vacuum. The tea is pretty good. The flowering tea is a little bitter, and some of the blossom don't go well with honey. But I being bitter doesn't bother me, and I don't put sugar in my tea.
My only complaint is that it's too small. But that isn't Numi's fault. Amazon didn't filter it out after I put in my preferences, and I didn't read the entire description. Not the first time this has happened either.
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
on January 11, 2014
It took close to one month for this tea to arrive; I actually was losing hope to ever see it. I ordered it to be enjoyed in a group of friends who are not tea drinkers; I have used flowering teas a number of times before for friendly gatherings - an open flower in a glass jar of aromatic tea adds a unique touch. Also, i myself am a tea-drinker and can tell a good tea from a bad one. What was supposed to be magic moment never happened: the flowers lost a bunch of petals and never fully opened, and when they did, only one out of four teas had an actual flower in it (that lost half of petals and looked pathetic), and the other 3 were looking more like scary creatures from the bottom of the sea - bulky green leaves tied together. Desperate, I tried all 4, hoping that at least 1 would not disappoint - in vain, all lost leaves, all failed to open fully, all looked ugly. Finally, the taste was plain bad - no flavor, no strength, barely any aroma, wrong color - all wrong. The biggest disappointment is that I trusted Numi brand, from my past experience. The only possible explanation I could find is that perhaps, these teas were way past their due date; or could they be counterfeit altogether? My advice: buy some other flowering teas.
on August 16, 2014
I'm a fan of blooming tea, and the first brand I ever had was Teaposy. That one was gorgeous and delightful! After that, I ended up getting a Primula teapot gift set, and eventually I replaced the Primula teapot with one from Grosche. The actual Primula blooming tea balls were not very impressive, as they seemed to be very unreliable with some of the balls floating and refusing to sink, or some not opening properly (the ones that did open properly, though, were nice). I had a few of the Grosche tea balls that came with the teapot, and they displayed many of the same problems (although, to be fair, they may have been old or something). After that, I was intrigued to try out the Numi branded ones.

Numi has a great reputation for tea, and indeed I like many of their normal boxed teas, such as the white rose flavor. However, I noticed many bad reviews for their blooming tea. Still, the price per tea ball was good compared to Teaposy, and I was really intrigued by their unusual flavors. Most blooming tea I've encountered is either white or green jasmine tea (which is nice), but the Numi tea seems to have more unusual flavors. The flavors in this box are: Dragon Lily (white tea with lily petals), Sunset Oolong (oolong tea with lily flower), Lavender Dream (lavender flower, hibiscus, and possibly white tea), and Golden Jasmine (black tea and jasmine). Lavender is a flavor you never really see in blooming tea, so I was excited to try it out. Not to mention I love the fact that their tea doesn't have any artificial flavors in it. Besides, even if the tea balls were terrible, I'd only be out about six bucks.

The very first thing to discuss is the packaging itself. It came in a tiny box (which is fine) but inside none of the tea balls were labeled, leaving me to guess which was which based on matching appearances with the pictures on the box (I think I got it right). More perturbing than that, though, is that the individual ingredients for each type of tea ball are not listed – the ingredient list is all jumbled together for all four. In addition, the plastic encasing the tea balls is only loosely sealed – it's not vacuum sealed for freshness at all! The box claims these don't go bad until March 2016, but not being vacuum seals still worries me a bit. Oh well, there's only four, so surely they'll be used up before long regardless. I'll go through each individual flavor and describe my experiences.

I started off with the Golden Jasmine first, because that's the one my husband was most excited about. Unfortunately, this experience seems to reinforce all the negative reviews. The tea ball failed to sink, and it opened sideways on the top of the water line. Not very impressive or nice-looking at all. The flavor isn't particularly impressive either. It tasted of a rather weak black tea, and although the box describes it as being “scented with delicate jasmine,” there is almost no jasmine in evidence. The scenting must be very “delicate” indeed. Lest you think it was my steep time or my teapot size, well, I let it steep a full 15 minutes by the end (10 minutes is my normal steep time), and the teapot is the same one I've used for other brands (that gave good flavor). After my husband and I each drank one cup, there was enough for one more cup left. This liquid had, of course, steeped longer due to being left in the pot, and when I drank it, it was indeed a bit stronger tasting. Unfortunately, it just tasted like slightly stronger black tea; still no real hint of jasmine. Oh well, one dud out of the four. We'll see what the others are like...
The next one I tried was the Lavender Dream. I had high hopes for this one since I do like lavender. While this one sank and opened correctly, it was not particularly attractive. The “bloom” in the middle wasn't much to look at – just a few ruddy brown petals that looked more like leaves than anything (that was the hibiscus, presumably). The taste was not good, either. The hibiscus taste was mildly there, but the lavender wasn't really apparent and the whole thing had an unpleasant bitter undertone. Overall, I wasn't impressed.

Next I tried out the Sunset Oolong. This one has to be better, right? Well, the flower in this one was at least more colorful, but this one once again the tea ball refused to sink, and ended up not fully opening either. The taste was...bland. It is rather hard to describe, but it's just bland. Maybe it didn't steep fully or properly since it failed to open? I don't know.

Lastly, I tried out the Dragon Lily. By this point, I didn't have much hope for this product. This one, unfortunately, didn't do anything to change my mind. This one, once AGAIN, didn't sink and opened on its side. The bloom was dull-colored and rather unattractive regardless. The taste was pleasant enough, though. It just tasted of a mild white tea (which it pretty much is). I can't say I detected any of the purported “velvety apricot flavor” that the box describes, but it was at least drinkable. However, it wasn't particularly special-tasting, and I can't say I'd want to drink it again (if only because this is an expensive option for something that tastes of plain white tea – I might as well just buy a cheaper box of white tea).

Well, overall, I'm deeply disappointed in Numi. Normally they make such nice tea, but this was a huge let down. There wasn't a single bloom in here that made me want to buy this again, and frankly, I won't be. Unfortunately, the other negative reviews are correct. If you want some blooming tea, I'd recommend you buy Primula (for a cheaper option) or Teaposy (for a really awesome, but more expensive, experience). There may be other good brands out there, too. Either way, avoid these.
on October 16, 2006
I got this set a few weeks ago, and have tried most of the teas that came with it.

The teapot itself is somewhat fragile (especially if you are used to Beehouse brand), but is well worth the extra care. After the novelty of flowering tea wears out, you will still be able to amaze your guests with the beautiful sight of tea leaves unfolding into a gorgeous flower.

This is not your every day after-work-relaxing experience for several reasons. Cost, for one. The flavor of the tea itself is also not what you are used to. If you are a serious tea gourmand, you might be put off by the exotic experience, and you might have a better teapot for your cherished first flush darjeeling (or silver needle, for that matter): the glass looses heat very rapidly, and the strainer that comes with the teapot is a joke at best.

For what it is, however, this is an excellent addition to any kitchen (an especially good gift for a tea lover who has everything). I ended up buying Bodum glass teacups to match this teapot, and using it more for decorative purposes.
0Comment| 146 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon January 10, 2007
I had no idea what to expect when I purchased this item. I was looking for a nice tea pot and strainer combo. I figured I'd give it a shot for the price. I was in for a surprise. What a joy to the eye, soul, and palate.

Now, if you are looking for a large, sturdy tea pot - keep looking. This is a very delicate, small, 16 oz pot. I didn't get a strainer. No big deal. I don't need another one. What I did get for this tiny price is the most remarkable visual and sensory experience that lifts my soul after a long, hard, stressful day at work. From the moment I opened the Amazon box and saw the lovely bamboo box, I was sold. Then when I opened the box and found the tea in a mini bamboo box, I was very pleased. How beautiful is this presentation!

When the tea blooms in the pot, it is a beautiful site to see. The small tea pot then makes sense. The size and rounded body are the perfect showcase for this unusual product. Besides, it is the perfect fit for my large glass latte cup. I've had no problem pouring the tea, and my lid fits perfectly. It is delicate, so I am extra careful.

I've had no problem with the tea blooming using boiling water. I temper it with a metal spoon as a pour it into the pot. I don't want to chance cracking the tea pot. The tea tastes delicate and delicious. I get 3 pots from each bloom. I like my tea strong, so I brew it longer than recommended, but it never gets bitter. The second pot tastes best to me, but the 3rd pot is still excellent. And the colors of the brewed tea are beautiful also. They seems to glimmer with multiple hues. Don't ask me how or why.

I will be reordering this tea! You can't put a price on the relaxation I get from this experience. As a matter of fact, I'll be ordering a second gift set for myself - my boyfriend and I are fighting over who gets to keep the bamboo box! Besides, if this pot breaks, I want a back up.
If you are buying this because you love to watch flowering teas or as a novelty gift, it is a great buy. If you are buying this because you actually want to drink the tea, I suggest you find the variety of flowering tea you actually like and then buy it in bulk and not in a gift set and save a lot of money. For the price, you don't get much tea in this set. In addition, only some of the varieties were actually palatable. While they were all beautiful, some of them were downright nasty and I couldn't stand the taste of them.

Again, if you want to give a unique gift this is a good choice. If, however, you are just buying this because you want to drink flowering tea, there are more cost-effective ways to accomplish that.
on December 14, 2011
I bought this as a gift and opened the box to make sure everything was presentable due to other reviews. I wanted to be sure nothing was cracked and the lid fit. Everything was ok. It was packed for shipping well. Yes, the pot is small, but it is for one person after all. There is a hole at the top of the lid designed to let steam out. That might have been what someone was calling a bubble in the glass. It felt pretty sturdy, but the handles could have been made a little thicker. I was hoping to be able to see or smell the teas, but they are sealed in a box. I am pleasantly surprised that this doesn't have a weird chemical smell to the wood as other mass produced, cheaper items are prone to have. The inside of the gift box is nothing special, just the pot, the box of blossoms, and a bunch of brown confetti-like strips of paper stuffing. The box has this orange/red "leather" stringing it together. I think they could have put in a little more effort and used a natural looking leather or even twine, and displaying the blossoms in the gift box instead of hiding them in a box that looks at home on a grocery shelf. But I am picky. Even though I haven't tried the blossoms, I drink Numi tea myself and I think they are great quality teas. I will probably buy a set for myself soon.
on February 28, 2007
The packaging was great, came sealed inside a cardboard box which can easily be gift-wrapped. Although I was planning to give this one as a gift, I felt the need to open it and take a look. Shouldn't have done that because I soon knew it had to be mine. With my first dinner guests after delivery, I boiled water, opened the bamboo box, removed the glass pot, selected the flowering tea from the top of the pile, and brought it to the table after pouring the water onto the tea. Oh my Godness, what a sight! I didn't say a word and it was hysterical to see the look of the first person who noticed the flower bloom! We agreed that it looked like a monster at first, and after laughing amongst ourselves, I poured the first pot of tea into three small teacups. Yummy. Poured a second pot, then a third. Each was great and each time the visual was so lovely. We came to the computer and ordered three more sets. I know I'll be ordering more, too, with extra boxes of the flowering teas. Every part of this set was wonderful, from the packaging and delivery, bamboo boxes, little glass teapot, and tasty teas. It's a real nice value and very presentable gift. Amazon's prices can't be beat on these!