BCA Month Salon Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 30, 2015
I see so many parents treating their children as if they fully expect them to be replicas of themselves, minus their shortcomings. For those who wish to observe and identify their children's learning style, strengths, weaknesses, quirks, tendencies, struggles, etc., so that they may adapt their parenting style to support and cultivate them in a way that acknowledges that different people have different needs, hopes, sensibilities, handicaps, desires, etc., and that their child's "personality" is something that it is worth investing some effort in understanding, there are not as many tools available as there perhaps could be. There are a slew of parenting books and philosophies out there with blanket approaches that might be appropriate for one child, but terrible for another. This book, refreshingly, asks the reader to observe others, and be sensitive to who they are. What better way to ensure that your child is receiving what you're sending, but to learn the language of his or her own inner self? Only then can one be equipped to fulfill their needs and avoid unnecessary misunderstanding or harm.
on March 10, 2016
These uncannily insightful personality profiles have helped me modify my approach to homeschooling my oldest child, now 15, whose personality is quite different from mine. Because it can be difficult to view the world through someone else's lens, I had become quite frustrated and was making some wrong assumptions. This material is helping me get back on track to a more positive and productive mother/child and teacher/student relationship.
on August 12, 2013
This is a great resource book that allows you to understand your child's personality type. It not only helps with determining your child's personality type but gives great examples and goes through various age spans, to give you some insight as to what your child will be like and what challenges they may face as they grow and mature in to responsible adults. This is a great resource in helping a parent understand the natural strengths and weaknesses of their child, to help direct them to be all that they were created to be.
on December 31, 1998
What a great book! I strongly recommend this book for all parents and teachers. Especially those involved with so-called learning disabilities like attention deficit disorder, which can simply be the manifestation of a child's natural temperament.
I was already familiar with the MBTI/Jungian theory of temperament before I bought the book and suspected my son to be an "ENTP" because of his apparent preferences for extraversion, intuition-imagination, logic and divergent thinking. When I got the book in the mail and opened it up to ENTP I immediately read it to my husband and we were in hysterics. We've been calling him "The Negotiator," and the heading under ENTP was "Everything's Negotiable." There were about ten full pages on the ENTP temperament, from infancy up through the teen years. I'm also an ENTP and it rang true. It was simply amazing how true it all was. I now feel a bit more prepared in that I have an idea about what to expect in future years.
Then we looked up ISTP, my husband's type, and read that. I said to him about certain parts, "you weren't like that, were you?" and he reply rather sheepishly, "well, actually, I was." Then he began to tell me stories I'd never heard before of him as a child. I just never pictured him hanging off the tops of cliffs.
All in all, it was incredibly valuable for me to identify that my son has pretty much the same temperament as me, and it was probably even more invaluable for my husband to read about the temperament traits of an ENTP, since my husband is of a different type and would naturally tend to have different expectations of his son. I think he understands him a little better now.
on March 2, 2015
Tremendously readable, this book would help anyone interested in reducing unnecessary conflict when raising your children. Great insights and madly terrific use of the Briggs Meyer personality type system. If you cannot understand where your child could have possibly come from because they seem like an alien in the way they think or act, this book is for YOU!
on December 8, 2001
Understanding personality types is like taking a shortcut through life. What do I mean by this? Well, you can save yourself a lot of time and energy when you understand your own personality, and the personalities of the people you interact with. This book provides the information needed to understand adults as well as kids, and explains why some tactics work great on some people and not others. Get this book to understand your kids, but get ready to realize some things about yourself in the process. You may or may not like what you discover about yourself or your kids, nevertheless, you will have the key to unlock the door to a whole new world of understanding yourself and others. If you choose, you can change the way you handle situations that usually give you problems. It makes life easier to know what to do. What could be better than that?
on October 26, 2013
Based on a very reputable Meyers-Briggs study and personality theories, it provided so much insight not only into my child, but also into my whole family and made me much more aware of all the personalities around me. We are all made unique! It prompted me to be more aware of my approach with my kids, and I felt like I understood better after I read this.
I would recommend this to any parent of children ages 3 to 17. Very helpful and informative! I am a mother of 5 kids with 5 different personality types and wish I had known about this book years ago.
on September 13, 2005
Why? Because I give them away and wear them out with people I care about. It is that practical. OK, I admit to being a certified instructor in the Myers Briggs and a licensed children's counselor now working as a leadership development consultant, but TRULY the insights of Type have helped me to be a better parent (my most important role)to my beloved children. Try it. Take a MBTI assessment for yourself and learn about what each aspect of your own Type means. Follow thorugh with helping you child learn about their type. You will see the bridges to cross together that lead both of you into a richer, more productive relationship with greater joy.
on March 15, 2014
I have read other books on Meyer/Briggs personality profiles however Nurture by Nature's positive approach to understanding each child's individual temperament is so helpful and empowering to any parent while helping them to better uncover themselves as well.