- Paperback: 528 pages
- Publisher: Price-Pottenger Nutrition Foundation; 8th edition (2009)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0916764206
- ISBN-13: 978-0916764203
- Package Dimensions: 8.9 x 6 x 1.3 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1.8 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 337 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #11,858 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Nutrition and Physical Degeneration 8th Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
About the Author
Dr. Price was a Cleveland dentist, who has been called the Charles Darwin of Nutrition. Searching for the causes of dental decay and physical degeneration he observed daily in his dental practice, he turned from test tubes and microscopes to study people with fine teeth the isolated primitives.
Browse award-winning titles. See more
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
Either Dr. Price was right, or he wasn't, but every person can test his recommendations out for themselves - on themselves. Dr. Price studied many populations throughout the world on a search for the root cause of good health. He found it. The Weston A Price Foundation (WAPF) was founded upon his principles of eating for health; not for convenience, not for the cheapest meal a person could find, but for something that truly matters - one's own health.
If you have health issues, particularly chronic disease which is the result of chronic inflammation, it can often be reversed by eating according to Dr. Price's observations and recommendations. If you don't have time to read this book, check out the Weston A Price (dot org) Foundation site - just google it, it will be at the top of the first search page. There is an article which is a mini-version of this book titled: Principles of Healthy Diets - just type it into the search bar on the right of the main page. Then read all 28 pages!
I warn you, it’s crazy simple, and it’s not a diet. Here are the one page guidelines, called Dietary Guidelines, from the westonaprice site, my comments are in [brackets].
1. Eat whole, natural foods.
2. Eat only foods that will spoil, but eat them before they do.
3. Eat naturally-raised meat including fish, seafood, poultry, beef, lamb, game, organ meats and eggs.
4. Eat whole, naturally-produced milk products from pasture-fed cows, preferably raw and/or fermented, such as whole yogurt, cultured butter, whole cheeses and fresh and sour cream.
5. Use only traditional fats and oils including butter and other animal fats [lard, tallow, goose, chicken], extra virgin olive oil, expeller expressed sesame and flax oil and the tropical oils—coconut and palm.
6. Eat fresh fruits and vegetables, preferably organic, in salads and soups, or lightly steamed.
7. Use whole grains and nuts that have been prepared by soaking, sprouting or sour leavening to neutralize phytic acid and other anti-nutrients.
8. Include enzyme-enhanced lacto-fermented vegetables, fruits, beverages and condiments in your diet on a regular basis.
9. Prepare homemade meat stocks from the bones of chicken, beef, lamb or fish and use liberally in soups and sauces.
10. Use herb teas and coffee substitutes in moderation.
11. Use filtered water for cooking and drinking.
12. Use unrefined Celtic sea salt and a variety of herbs and spices for food interest and appetite stimulation.
13. Make your own salad dressing using either fresh lemon juice or raw vinegar, and extra virgin olive oil or sesame oil or a mix of the two. [Do not use flax oil, after a 15 month study I found all to be at some degree of rancidity. Grind the seeds and eat within 15min as they start to become rancid (oxidized) at that time limit.]
14. Use natural sweeteners in moderation, such as raw honey, maple syrup, molasses, dehydrated cane sugar juice [rapadura, sucanat (sugar cane natural) date sugar (ground dates)] and stevia powder.
15. Use only unpasteurized wine or beer in strict moderation with meals. [Pasteurization kills all the probiotics!]
16. Cook only in stainless steel, cast iron, glass or good quality enamel. [No non-stick.]
17. Use only natural supplements.
18. Get plenty of sleep, exercise and natural light.
19. Think positive thoughts and minimize stress. [prayer, meditation, yoga, EFT]
20. Practice forgiveness.
Here, too, are the WAPF Dietary Dangers:
1. Don't eat commercially processed foods such as cookies, cakes, crackers, TV dinners, soft drinks, packaged sauce mixes, etc.
2. Avoid all refined sweeteners such as sugar, dextrose, glucose and high fructose corn syrup.
3. Avoid white flour, white flour products and white rice.
4. Avoid all hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated fats and oils.
5. Avoid all vegetable oils made from soy, corn, safflower, canola or cottonseed.
6. Do not use polyunsaturated oils for cooking, sauteing or baking.
7. Avoid fried foods.
8. Do not practice veganism; animal products provide vital nutrients not found in plant foods.
9. Avoid products containing protein powders.
10. Avoid pasteurized milk; do not consume lowfat milk, skim milk, powdered milk or imitation milk products.
11. Avoid battery-produced eggs and factory-farmed meats.
12. Avoid highly processed luncheon meats and sausage containing MSG and other additives.
13. Avoid rancid and improperly prepared seeds, nuts and grains found in granolas, quick rise breads and extruded breakfast cereals, as they block mineral absorption and cause intestinal distress.
14. Avoid canned, sprayed, waxed, bioengineered or irradiated fruits and vegetables. [Eat organic!]
15. Avoid artificial food additives, especially MSG, hydrolyzed vegetable protein and aspartame, which are neurotoxins. Most soups, sauce and broth mixes and commercial condiments contain MSG, even if not so labeled. [make your own nutrient dense broth.]
16. Avoid caffeine-containing beverages such as coffee, tea and soft drinks. Avoid chocolate. [Decaf your own tea by first steeping loose tea in a mug of boiled water for 10-30 seconds and tossing that steep out, then re-steep as usual. For teabags, only 5-10 seconds is necessary.]
17. Avoid aluminum-containing foods such as commercial salt, baking powder and antacids. Do not use aluminum cookware or aluminum-containing deodorants.
18. Do not drink fluoridated water.
19. Avoid synthetic vitamins and foods containing them.
20. Do not drink distilled liquors.
21. Do not use a microwave oven. [It changes food in ways that slow cooking does not.]
The research and rationale for eating for health are in this book, but the guidelines are simple and easy. You very likely don’t need a doctor or a therapist, you just need to eat real food, and ignore the fake foods and fad diets of the day. It is our processed, sugar laden, non-nutritive, chemically loaded modern diet that is at the root of much of our modern diseases. It can be reversed and you can do it yourself.
Read this book, save your own health and life. I did, my husbands heart disease reversed, it works.
Blessings to all!
Originally visiting these isolated tribes to examined their teeth and dental arch form, Price found something much more. No matter in what region of the world, isolated tribes were utilizing foods from the environment and obeying the original laws of nature. In return, mother nature rewarded these tribes with beautiful teeth and perfect health. Whether by land or sea, vegetation or animal products, the local tribes were practicing the same customs of living and food preparation past down to them through generations of accumulated wisdom. Testing food samples of these different tribes, Price found their nutrient density to be much superior than the modernized foods of western society.
However, when these same tribes came in contact with industrialism and began to consume processed foods, like white flour, jam, and vegetable fats, there began a serious decline in physical form and they soon menesfested dental caries, misaligned dental archs, and underdeveloped facial structures. With the gains made in perfect health lost, the off-springs born after parents who abandoned their traditional diet had the worst out-comes.
Nutrition and Physical Degeneration exposes how the wisdom of ancient cultures seemed rather lost then and more so today in our Western culture and the consequences are devastating. If measures are not changed the perpetual patterns of flawed genes and physical form will continue to happen for generations to come.