Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 11 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 17 reviews
on September 10, 2010
The hardware worked well from the time I received it, with easy to follow instructions. I had a few questions that were promptly and completely answered by the Tech Support team at Scantool.net. The free software that comes with the tool is very basic. But the extended software sold by this site for the Scan Tool is very good. I recommend investing in the extended software if that is an option for you.
The basic software "will not" read all of the Trouble Codes. It will read "trouble codes" associated with a "check engine" light that is "ON". It will not read more subtle codes that may be advising you of a less than critical problem. The extended software does read all codes.
Yes, the extended software is expensive but given what is does it is also a good value.
If you buy the extended software with the hardware, there is a discount offered for the software... DO IT!
on December 10, 2010
I did a lot of research before buying this tool (OBDLink OBD-II USB Scan Tool Interface Adapter (425101)) because I had an uncommon goal: to custom build a digital dash instrument panel to display and record real time data from the CAN bus with both passive and queried messages. The seller scantool.net provided great technical support in the user forum on their web site and helped me achieve my goal. As in the title of this review my home grown program reads 1600 CAN messages per second (that's all the existing traffic on the CAN bus plus 5 queries per second), gives me real time feedback, and also records the data for later analysis. I haven't used it for the more common job of detecting DTCs but I am sure the hardware can handle it - all the magic is in the software, especially if you want to read non-standard, manufacturer specific, proprietary DTCs and other info.
on April 26, 2011
I ordered the tool with great hope and a new project in mind for my car. Unfortunately for me the tool does not talk well with 2004 Hyundai Tiburons. The staff over at their support forum seemed like they were going to go the extra mile for me. They ran a few diagnostics and even sent me a test setup! The help all stopped one day and I haven't heard from them since, leaving me with two useless tools and out for a hundred bucks.

Update: After seeing my feedback scantool.net quickly issued me a full refund and promised to do whatever they could to make things right. The gesture is greatly appreciated.
on August 30, 2013
It is does what it is supposed to, gives you the trouble codes of your car and their meaning, also actually allows you to tweak a couple parameters. Since it is a generic tool probably it will not give you access to very specific codes or parameter of your car, but I might be of help in most common cases.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 25, 2011
I have 30 years of do it yourself and professional work levels. This scan tool is very comprehensive in the basic form. It worked well on the 2001 Ford Escape that I have done major work on, most recently the automatic transmission replacement, a very tough job above the dyi level. The scan tool may take a few uses to understand all of what it can do. Ideal for the serious mechanic willing to go the extra mile.
on April 10, 2010
I ordered this to diagnose and clear a check engine light on my vehicle. I got a mechanic to do that before this showed up, however. The good news is I believe I'm well positioned to do what I wanted to do the next time it happened.

The bad news is the install disk that came with the software wasn't very helpful. I have a windows 7 64 bit laptop. The driver setup that came on the disk didn't work. Of course, it didn't say it didn't work. But it didn't.

If you find yourself in that situation, the D2xx drivers at (...) are the ones you need to make this product communicate with Windows 7 64 bit.

Once that was out of the way the product worked as advertised. It was able to show me the trouble codes (there aren't any, so I can't comment on its ability to clear them, but it's supposed to be able to do that, too.). It could show me instantaneous RPMs and fuel consumption and plot those over time. A very basic software package, though much better ones are available.

So then I tried to connect to the device over bluetooth. If you check the manufacturer's specs for this device, it has a "bluetooth option". It wasn't clear to me whether this device had it or not. It appears to not have bluetooth. When just connected to OBDII, the status LED does light up (red), but it's not discoverable over bluetooth. Too bad, that would have been nice.

So, overall it seems to do what it says it does, but you need significant expertise to set it up, and the platform requirements are not clearly stated in any literature for this product. Driver updates are not available from the manufacturer. I had to dig through the install disk to infer what USB -> serial chipset was in use and get the drivers myself. Boo.
on April 1, 2014
Awesome tool,

With the right software, this rivals my couple thousand dollar mac mentor. Would definitely recommend to anyone wanting all the readout functions of a scantool.
on March 9, 2012
The OBDLink tool and software work great. Very easy to use. Now if all of the internet databases it references can keep up to date we'll be good. Otherwise, worked perfectly for my level of skill :)
on October 23, 2011
I LIKE IT ITS SMALL COMPACT AND QUICK RESPOND .....THIS PRODUCT IS VERY EASY TO USE .... I RECOMMEND TO UPGRADE TO THE PROFESSIONAL SOFTWARE VERSION IT HAS MORE USE THAN THE REGULAR ONE IT COMES WITH....
on December 30, 2014
great tool

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.