Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Dolly Parton Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now
Customer Discussions > Max Payne 3 - Xbox 360 forum

OBSCENE PC System Requirements

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 24, 2012 6:49:26 AM PDT
Has any one seen the newly-released system requirements for MP3? The low-end specs seem pretty normal, but to run the game at full-strength, you need a PC capable of creating Pixar films and mapping the full depth of the universe in high-detail:

Processor:
Intel Dual Core 2.4 GHZ - i7 3930K (***6 Core***) x 3.06 GHZ / AMD Dual Core 2.6 GHZ - FX8150 (***8 Core***) x 3.6 GHZ

RAM:
2GB - 16GB (!!!)

Video Card:
NVIDIA® 8600 GT 512MB VRAM - NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 680 2GB VRAM / Radeon HD 3400 512MB VRAM - Radeon HD 7970 (***3GB VRAM***)

Sound Card:
100% Direct X 9.0 compatible - Direct X 9.0 compatible supporting Dolby Digital Live

HDD Space:
35 GB (WTF?!!!!)

Is it that Rockstar just doesn't know how to optimize their code for PCs, or do they only really care about the console market? GTA4 on the PC was a freakin' train wreck, and unless you're making a game that accurately maps out the entire planet in detail, there is no excuse to make what is essentially a 6-hour corridor-shooter require 35GB of HDD space!

I just bought a new laptop, which has pretty decent specs (i7 quad core 2.2-3.1GHz, 8GB RAM, 2GB Radeon HD7690M GPU) and it looks like even with this I'll have to dial down the game to get it to run well. I can get Crysis 2 (w/ texture and DX11 packs) and Battlefield 3 to run just slightly below maximum settings, and I zip right through Skyrim with no problem at all (even with multiple mods running on top of it).

I know that MP3 has all kinds of advanced physics with the Euphoria middleware running on it, but man, there are going to be a lot of people unable to play it at anything but the lowes t settings, and very few hardcore hardware guys able to run it a max.

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 11:42:44 AM PDT
holy hell, those are some ridiculous requirements. to be fair, the game DOES look amazing, but hell, it's not even open world. and IMO, crysis 1 still looks better. probably just bad optimization on R*'s part. they never did release RDR for PC...

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 1:29:51 PM PDT
I agree this is poorly optimized, and the 35GB download to your hard drive proves it right there. The entire World of Warcraft is 24 gb, and we're talking a game that is 50 times the size of Max Payne 3.

What probably is happening here is all the effort went into the 360 version of the game (which if its one disk can only hold up to 11gb of data). Then they ported it over to the PS3 version (which is how most games are programmed). THEN they just through it on the computer unoptomized for the system.

Pretty typical.

As for me and my Max Payne 3...we'll be shooting up Mo Fos on the Xbox 360.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 24, 2012 2:07:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 24, 2012 2:08:55 PM PDT
Coldburn says:
Max Payne was made for PCs first but as for the 3rd not so much because
isn't JUST the 3930k around 600 bucks?
For shooters and a decent looking not COD multiplayer xbox 360 is the way to go(For me anyway don't skewer me PS3 fanboys)

Posted on Apr 24, 2012 2:45:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 26, 2012 12:09:32 PM PDT
Even though I have a new PC which will probably run MP3 at medium-high settings, I was seriously considering getting the 360 version after I saw the ridiculous 35GB install requirement. But the more I think about it, the more I realize the game on medium-high settings will still look as good if not better than the 360 version. Plus, the next-gen Xbox is looking less and less like it will be backward compatible, and I have been amassing PC versions of my favorite 360 games I want to keep for the long-term (Mass Effect trilogy, Batman Arkham Asylum/City, Skyrim, Fallout 3/New Vegas, Dead Island, Crysis 1/2, Riddick, Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood, Black Ops, Battlefield BC2, etc.) so I don't have to have the 360 hogging room on my shelves next year when the next system is released. The only ones I'm going to miss are Red Dead Redemption, GTA4 (PC version is crap), and Brutal Legend, but maybe they'll eventually be released as downloable titles on the future consoles.

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 11:18:32 AM PDT
Bryan Willis says:
Keep in mind, theres a few games today that have about that file size. The original star wars force unleashed? 27gigs. Which it came out on 360 too. Holds at max 8gigs, but i've yet to see a game be more than 7.30 because of other required space on each game. I'm just interested in seeing the game.... Judging for myself how it feels on optimization. I remember both of the 1st two games having some of the best optimization at the time. They'd run on anything and look great.

The requirements aren't really all that high honstly. Some of the reccomended on the other hand.... Are.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 26, 2012 12:07:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 26, 2012 12:12:26 PM PDT
Max 1 & 2 were amazing games on PC because they were built specifically for the PC (the console ports were ass). That was back in the day when Blizzard wasn't the only game publisher that could profitably release a AAA-quality game exclusively for the PC. Plus, Remedy developed Max 1 & 2 (they're now working on the abysmally pedestrian Alan Wake games - a waste of Remedy's talent). Max 3 is developed by Rockstar Vancouver, which really only had experience making the game Bully, which was first and foremost a console game. I guarantee you that Max 3 was developed primarily as a console game, because that's where the sales volume is, and less of a piracy concern. Mark my words: the PC version of Max 3 will be a poorly-optimized port of the 360 SKU. Look what happened with GTA4. I'm not saying Max 3 will be a bad game, I'm saying the PC version will require alien technology to play at full strength settings, and then probably still have a console-ie-ness to it's look and playability.

Posted on Apr 26, 2012 5:53:13 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 26, 2012 10:46:44 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 28, 2012 8:02:58 PM PDT
W. Newberry says:
Most PC games are already compressed , perhaps they just chose to not compress this one so much.

Posted on May 7, 2012 8:37:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 7, 2012 8:38:49 PM PDT
a.robo says:
There's the possibility that the 35gb download could be a pirate deterrent - with most sites you have to share as much as you download, or else your seed:download ratio is garbage and you'll get booted of said torrent site. Just a theory.

But this wouldnt surprise me; companies today care more about stopping pirates than caring for the legit payin customers.

Pirates will compress the s*** out of this game and once again, the pirates win, legit consumers lose, all thanks to the game publisher

Posted on May 7, 2012 9:22:53 PM PDT
JJ350 says:
This is why I am getting the game on Xbox. Rockstar games have looked better on Xbox this gen and I won't have to deal with the mandatory install that the PS3 version will likely have. Since it isn't open world I doubt the multiple DVD's will bother me.

Posted on May 7, 2012 9:24:59 PM PDT
a.robo:

That's an excellent point. I never thought of that. The good ol' pirates will make it tough for us legit gamers.

Posted on May 9, 2012 12:09:59 AM PDT
C. A. Todd says:
I'm actually happy that Rockstar is at least supporting crazy amounts of ram/processor power/gpu. It will help futureproof it, and there should be more games that are optimized for this much computer... specs and gfx innovations have stagnated on the pc side of games because of so many multiplatform releases and cheap ports that still sit within the confines of PS3/Xbox 360 specs.

I'm considering getting both the PC and console version, have a generic preorder already at gamestop for whatever system, and am now just thinking either get the console version now for the robust mp and the GOTY when it comes out for the PC... when i might have at least a 2gb video card to really enjoy it, i expect a Radeon 5850 will not suffice with everything cranked.

Posted on May 9, 2012 3:34:40 AM PDT
JJ350 says:
The 30+ GB requirement is likely more so due to HD video than anti-piracy. The PC version is probably based on the PS3 version, which is what happened to The Force Unleashed 2, which is why that game also required over 30GB.

This game just seems like it will be a better console game, GTA4 was poorly optimized for gaming PC's which is likely the case with Max Payne 3. It might work well after a lot of patching, but I wouldn't be surprised is even people with the latest and greatest PC hardware wind up having issues with the game right as it is released, which might explain why the PC version has been delayed a couple of weeks.

Posted on May 9, 2012 3:55:59 AM PDT
I'm not sure you'll see a GOTY edition of this, especially since the DLC will consist of only a few map packs, and not extended single player quests like The Elder Scrolls and Fallout games. "Complete" editions of games are becoming so rare now because everyone just downloads expansions and map packs. Fallout and The Elder Scrolls really are the exception given the epic-ness of the DLC. Although, I would be surprised if Skyrim eventually had one, even though Morrowind and Oblivion had them; the DLC landscape is changing so much. The good news, though, is PC versions of games tend to reduce in price much further and much faster than the console versions.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  10
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Apr 24, 2012
Latest post:  May 9, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Max Payne 3 - Xbox 360
Max Payne 3 - Xbox 360 by Rockstar Games (Xbox 360)
4.2 out of 5 stars (466)