Customer Reviews: OLD SINS
Amazon Vehicles Oct16 Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 $25 Back with $50 Purchase Cozy Knits Book 2 or More Hours of House Cleaning on Amazon pbskids pbskids pbskids  All-New Echo Dot Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Cycling on Amazon

Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on October 22, 2012
This was a very good book. Once I started reading it I found myself unable to put it down. It was very well written and there was never a point in the story that I felt was slow or uninteresting. I would have to rate this story up there with some of the stuff Dean Koontz has written. It is certainly a dark book but with a name like Old Sins it would have to be. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who loves the horror genre you will not be disappointed. I can see this as something I will definitely read more then once.
on October 17, 2012
Which I guess is the point, it being a horror novel and all. Very well written, riveting story, and a must read for any horror lover. It could definitely be offensive, but there is a powerful message behind it.

Highly, highly recommended.
on November 5, 2012
Old Sins was a very good read. It sickens me to think that much of the South, heck the entire US, used to be like this. I really wanted to give this 5 stars because I really like David McAfee and most of what he has written but it just seemed to lack that one thing I needed to put it over the top. Don't get me wrong, this was a really good book and I definitely recommend reading it but it seemed to need.....something. I finished it in a short amount of time and enjoyed the entire story, but it just wasn't one of those books that I couldn't put down.
on January 14, 2013
I thought it was a very good read. Can't wait till Mr. McAfee 's next book! This one kept me up at night!
on November 25, 2012
I became a fan of David McAfee after reading 33 A.D. I was actually looking for something new from him that revolved around his Bachiyr series but decided to take a chance on this book. This book was riveting. I couldn't put it down. The underlying back story that this book is written around is very disturbing and graphic but very well written. It puts you right into the mind of someone just as they are going through something unbelievably frightening and painful. I can't really say that I enjoyed the book because of the pain and suffering that is described in it. It is so bad that the author felt the need to warn people before they started reading it. It is not for the faint of heart. With that being said, I couldn't put the book down and by the time I finished the book, I felt the author had made some very powerful statements in this book.

Horror is not usually my thing but I find myself reading more and more of it because of David McAfee. If you are a horror fan you will probably enjoy it. I also think you will enjoy it if you are looking for something stimulating and thought provoking. If you aren't a horror fan or not looking for something stimulating and/or thought provoking, bypass this book and go to the comic book section ;-).

Happy reading!
on October 6, 2013
I liked the premise of this story a lot, and I was interested enough in the underlying plot to keep reading, but there were so many odd little details that didn't make sense, I was constantly being pulled out of the story to wonder at them.

First of all, mechanics: there's a place where Violet is suddenly referred to as Audrey. And the formatting of the newspaper articles was nearly impossible to read on my Kindle, because there were only two letters on each line. But those things in and of themselves are very minor. What really drives me crazy are hiccups in the story, where the continuity is interrupted and never explained. Examples (may include very mild spoilers):

1. After Roberta passes out at Lyle's house, she wakes up in the hospital. So apparently, the cops found a 17-year old girl on the scene of a murder/suicide. They take her to the hospital, where she isn't admitted (even though she's still unconscious), but is instead just placed on a bed in a private room and then forgotten. Once she wakes up, she wanders randomly around the hospital, making small talk and visiting her boyfriend (who's in a coma). First of all, either the cops and/or the hospital staff would have *immediately* contacted her mother, since she's a minor. And second, wouldn't the cops want to question her about the two dead bodies on the scene? Or the note found under hand which proves a connection to the odd string of murders and suicides going on in their neighboring town? Apparently not.

2. Not long after this, Roberta leaves the hospital and drives to the neighboring town to consult with the sheriff. HOW does she do this? Her mother's car was last seen at Lyle's house (which seemed fairly secluded). Now, I can imagine the cops might have a) left the car there, b) had it towed, or c) contacted the owner of the car (Roberta's mother) to take care of it. The one thing I'm sure they would not have done is drive it down and park it conveniently outside the hospital for her. (And even if they did, where did they leave her keys? In her pocket? Didn't she stop to wonder about any of this? And what about her cell phone? She uses it when it's convenient for the storyline, but never uses it when it would make sense, like when she's trapped in her car with a madman right outside.)

3. Back up at the cabin, before she passed out, Lyle pointed the gun at Roberta, and she wet her pants. She feels it running down her leg, which indicates to me this wasn't just a couple of drops of urine, but a full release of her bladder. (The text says, "as her bladder let go.") After which, she passes out, then wakes up in the hospital, visits her boyfriend, cries a LOT. Then she has a weird dream (on the couch in the hospital lobby), and goes and hangs out with her (now awake) boyfriend. They kiss and cuddle and talk about their horrifying experience. Then she makes the Ezra connection and runs off to see the Sheriff (despite not having a car), who points out that she hasn't been home since the day before. Yes, it's been that long, and her mom has called him because she has no idea where Roberta is, no thanks to the cops or the hospital staff, or the sheriff. Despite all this, he doesn't call her mom to check in, or take her straight home. They stop on the way to have a hamburger, for crying out loud. And all this time, the only thing I could think was, "You're still wearing your pee pants!" Seriously, did NOBODY say, "Hey, honey? You smell like urine. You might want to run home and change your pants."?

These were the most blatant examples, but certainly not the only strange inconsistencies. They may seem very minor to some readers, but unfortunately, these types of things ruin the reading experience for me. I like to be sucked into a story when I'm reading. I like to be so lost in the world that I don't come up for breath until it's over. And I can't do that when I'm constantly stopping to jump over plot holes.
on July 26, 2015
Hello, first let me say that this a fine, fine tale. Very well written. Very spooky. The only part I didn't like was the typical bad white man doing something bad to the innocent black person. Don't get me wrong, those people got off easy as far as I am concerned. I am a proud white southerner and it gets pretty damned tiresome to be portrayed as white devils by Damn Yankees or people that just don't know what the hell they are talking about. Well, my little rant is over. Damn fine story. Thanks.
on March 1, 2013
I've read a few other books by the author, and thought I don't usually enjoy books in this genre, I thought this one was pretty good.

I would buy another of this authors books based on this work alone, but I did enjoy his other books as well, so if I see another one of his books I will probably buy it right away.
on November 6, 2013
WITH the help of an experienced editor. What a shame; it had such a promising start.

There were far too many errors and inconsistencies in both the storyline and the most basic concept of grammar/punctuation-and I am NOT referring to character dialogue that was intentionally written that way! If I caught this many mistakes in a quick reading, it is obvious to me that the author made no attempt to proofread and cares very little about the quality of his written words. For this reason, alone, I will NOT read more by this author. He simply hasn't worked for the privilege of using the reader's valuable time.

I also felt insulted, at times, that Mr. McAfee felt the juvenile need to spell out every single boring detail of every single thought and question (perhaps he needed to increase the word count) and left nothing to the reader's imagination. I would have gotten so much more out of this novel if he hadn't come right out and told me there is no depth or intelligence to the characters' thoughts and motives. If it wasn't for the subject matter, I'd have guessed it was written for (and by) pre- to early teens.
on November 21, 2012
Once again this author exceeds his own work of the past. David McAfee grabs you by the throat and drags you into his tale. He never lets go and you are caught between terror and suspense. A must read for all fans of suspense or horror.