Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 519 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 554 reviews
on June 30, 2014
This is a good inexpensive solution for short term use of a camera in rainy conditions, but shooting in June in Canada, it didn't take long for condensation to form on the inside of the bag. It's easy enough to dry the inside with a paper napkin, but that necessitates finding shelter and interrupting shooting.

I thought it might be OK to fold the arm opening of the bag around the camera strap and wear the camera around my neck a bit. Bad idea. I couldn't keep water out that way. However, holding it as intended and foregoing use of the neck strap worked fine until the condensation problem got in the way.

The first bag has plenty of life left in it after 6-8 hours of use. It's made of thick plastic and well sealed at the seams. The package includes a second bag as well.

I agree with the reviewer who said focusing is challenging with the drawstring around the lens. Sometimes I had to loosen, focus, and retighten in the rain.

What's not apparent from the photo is how long the bag is. It comes well past my elbow, which is good for preventing rain entry at the arm opening.

For an inexpensive, short term solution, I'd buy it again.
on August 13, 2013
Work very well for de price, its only for de rain, not recomended with serious rain.
cover all de camera and lens, more de arm, exactly how the picture.
Enthusiast: Photographyon February 25, 2016
Pros:

Works well with my 7DII plus grip and 70-200mm f/2.8 lens in landscape orientation, even with the lens' tripod foot attached to a monopod. The opening for the viewfinder attaches between the camera and the camera's eyepiece cover. It may take you a couple of tries to get everything lined up well so that the eyepiece cover stays attached. Be sure and check to be sure it won't fall off and get lost! The cover keeps everything nice and dry, even in a downpour.

Cons:

There's just not enough room to use it in portrait orientation with the grip, keep the eye hole over the viewfinder, the lens attached to the monopod and keep the opening for my hands pointed down.The main reason for the grip is to have the extra set of controls for portrait orientation. Sigh.

If you are the DIY type there is a workaround: Use Mailing Carton Sealing Tape Clear 3.0mil - 1PC - 1.89 in x 55 yds M to cover the built in hole and carefully cut your own hole to the side so that it lines up with your camera in portrait orientation. Pay close attention to the eyepiece cover staying secured as it is now slid on from the side instead of the top. This allows me to use the monopod with the top of the cover still up and the bottom with the hand opening still down.

I also use the tape to reinforce around the eyepiece hole and repair any minor nicks to the plastic. If you place the tape against the plastic cover on the inside of the cover, the sticky side will not come in contact with your camera. It's easiest to place the tape so it won't interfere with the eyepiece cover if the both the rain cover and the eyepiece cover are attached to the camera when applying the tape. This allows me to reuse each cover quite a number of times.
on January 13, 2017
A very simple and cheap solution that does just what it's intended to do. For a professional looking to go out shooting in rainy conditions all day, every day, a dedicated heavy-duty rain protection system would be recommended, but for 'emergency' rain use, these are great to have. I have been using the Original 18" sleeves on two different cameras when I go wildlife and bird photographing in the Florida wetlands, where rain is an unfortunate possibility almost any day of the year. Often I go for long walks far from shelter or cars and prefer not to haul additional lenses or bags with me, so I'll just bring the camera and mounted lens...these rain sleeves when folded up can easily slip into a back pants pocket and not even be noticed - just a few mm thick and no larger than a wallet's length and width. If I see rain coming, I can get the camera into the sleeve in under 30 seconds, tighten up the front drawstring, and work on mounting the eyepiece over the hole. Sometimes I just skip that step as I can still shoot with the viewfinder even through the plastic - depends on how long I expect the rain to last. I use this sleeve on a medium-sized DSLR with a Tamron 150-600mm lens, and it fits very nicely, even allowing the Tamron full extension at 600mm. I also use this on a much smaller mirrorless camera body with a 70-300mm lens, and it's entirely too big but can still be used in a pinch. I do wish they made a size in between their 'small' 8" model and original 18" model - something like 12" would be perfect for a mirrorless or compact DSLR with a 70-200mm or 70-300mm mid-range zoom.
on May 31, 2016
I wanted something simple and inexpensive that would protect my DSLR from potential water spray while on a boat trip. This thing delivered. I wish the manufacturer would do a better job describing dimensions. I bought both the Original and the Small. I had no problem using the 'Small' on my Sony A77 with both my 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 telephoto lens and my 16-50mm f/2.8 prime lens. This protector has plenty of room for a full DSLR body, even if you have a battery grip attached. Then, there is 12" of distance between the back of the protector and the hole at the end where the lends peeks out. So, assemble your camera, extend your lens to the fullest. Measure the longest distance (from the backside of the body to front of the lens). If it's within 12" you're good to go. If it's longer (and this means you're doing some serious telephoto work) you'll want something bigger. For most folks with consumer/prosumer equipment this is the one for you. I did find that trying to view my shot with this thing on was a bit of a pain. The plastic is mostly transparent, but not crystal clear (especially after its been crumpled after several uses). And making any setting adjustments, including zooming the lens, could be equally challenging. But assuming you can set and forget things for awhile, you should have no trouble protecting your camera without investing a small fortune for a custom shell.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 1, 2013
I bought the rainsleeves a few years ago before an Inside Passage cruise to Alaska because I knew it was quite likely that we would encounter rainy weather during our daily excursions. I ended up not needing to use the sleeves on that trip, but they were folded away neatly in one of the pockets of my camera bag until our recent trip to Peru and Ecuador. We arrived at Machu Picchu on a misty afternoon - not enough rain to need an umbrella but damp enough to make me bring out the rainsleeves, one for each camera. The sleeves fit easily over my Canon 5D with a 24-105mm L Lens and over the Canon 7D with a 100-400m L lens. You can position the sleeve so that it is cinched tight around the front of the lens, and then pulled back onto the lens and camera body. I didn't bother to cover my entire arm as shown in the product picture. I just sort of bunched up the rest of the sleeve so that it covered all of the camera body, but I could still put my eye up to the viewfinder without having to look through plastic. There is a small cutout that theoretically will fit over the viewfinder but I found it too frustrating to try to position that correctly since there is no way of holding the plastic in place over the viewfinder.

On a rainy morning excursion on the Amazon River, I was able to shoot birds and rainbows, though I had to wipe drops off the lens filter from time to time. On one of our excursions to the Galapagos Islands, the rain was coming down in sheets and I was thoroughly soaked to the skin, so I left the camera in the bag, with the rainsleeve already attached until the rain abated somewhat. Then when the rain lessened, I reached into the bag and pulled out the camera, ready to go.

The sleeves go on and off quickly, and you can fold them flat and put them back in your camera bag after use. After multiple uses, they are almost like new, not torn or soiled, and I'm expecting to get many more photo trips out of them. You wouldn't want to go out in a monsoon with just a thin plastic rainsleeve, but for misty days or even during light rain, they offer sufficient protection for your valuable equipment.
on October 9, 2015
You can't beat these for the price. There is nothing fancy here, and nobody is going to stop you and ask you where you got that cool baggie for your camera, but it works like a charm. The drawstring did a good job of staying put on the lens end, and a small hole near the camera end allows you to remove your eyepiece then reinstall it on the outside of the sleeve so you can view directly through your camera. The bag is clear if you just want to put your eye up to it and use the viewfinder or LCD screen that works as well.

I've used mine a couple times already shooting soccer games in the rain (one was a downpour). I let it dry out, fold it up and used it again so durability is pretty good too. However this is a medium heavy plastic so don't expect them to last forever, but they are certainly not a one use product either.

I was shooting with a 70-200mm f/2.8 zoom which is a pretty good sized lens and this size was just right. The larger size would likely be for the 300mm f2.8 lenses or larger.
I bought this as a light, easy to carry "just in case" item for my bag, and it has worked perfectly for that. I have larger and more durable rains sleeves for heavy duty work, but these work very well for light rain and snow. I find it good for when you're busy moving around, holding your camera with one hand, and for run-and-gun type of shooting. The thicker sleeves with access holes for both hands are better for tripod and more static use, but it's still a good idea to have one like this in your bag.
on January 10, 2016
These are great. I am a photographer who travels a lot for work and I always have a couple sets of these in my luggage. They are not the same as the more expensive rain covers, but they work just fine in a pinch and because they are so compact they are ideal for packing in case of bad weather when on the road.

I have more expensive rain covers, but they are much more bulky and take up a lot more room in my luggage.
on November 11, 2015
I got this rainsleeve upon returning from a rainy trip at Cambodia. I'm ready to head out again and it's rainy season at the location where I'm going. However, when I got this product, I was not impressed. This is one of the product that falls into the category of "better than nothing" type. This product is basically a long plastic bag with a hole and draw string. The material is weak. I use it per instruction and remove the eye cup to be reattached where the hole for the eye piece. Immediately, a tear occurred at the hole.

Pros :-
1.) Cheap and you can't find anything cheaper for this solution
2.) Came with 2 piece
3,) Better than nothing

Cons:-
1.) Cheap is what you get - cheap material which is not durable
2.) The drawstring does not hold the lense or lense cap tight enough, when you zoom or go wide angle, you expose your lense to the rain
3.) Zip lock bag is cheaper

Bottomline:- I just paid seven bucks for 2 plastic bag with a draw string and a hole. I beleive a large ziplock bag will do the trick, I do not recommend this to potential buyer.