Shop Auto Winter Products Salon Beauty Best Books of the Month Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop STEM Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on October 14, 2017
I bought these for my 70-200/2.8 and 400/2.8 for times when I wanted a little rain protection, but didn't want to go all out with my ThinkTank Hydroponic counterparts. They were always in my roller.

After a dry summer, I finally had the right situation to use them. It was a mess. They didn't really fit over the D5 bodies I use, so I had to roll them back. Water got in. It also got in the hole I had to cut for the monopod on the 400. With the 70-200 hanging by my side, the body got wet too. In reality, these bodies can take some weather, but I had another game to shoot the following day and didn't want to take any chances.

The bottom lie: If you need to protect your equipment, go all the way and buy something designed to really handle it. hey were less than $10, but it was still a waste. ThinkTank and Aquatech have good products that you won't regret.
review image
on October 11, 2017
I just got back from Iceland, and these were PERFECT for the weather! I bought them on a whim, but we walked all around waterfalls, got rained and snowed on a lot, and I never had to worry once about my camera or lenses that I had in these. Sure, they look ridiculous, but I can't tell you how many other people commented to me that they wished they had thought of this before going there. The bags even come with a small hole in them (didn't even notice until someone pointed it out), which worked great for attaching your tripod! I bought four of them total, and gave the others to my photo workshop friends to use, and they loved them too. No problem with ripping or tearing at all, and highly recommend for all types of weather! I know I will be using these a lot more, I live in a location with a lot of rain and snow, and they'll come in handy this winter. Only thing to make sure, is to take camera out of the bag once you're out of the rain/snow (and don't detach your lens from your camera while they are inside the bag), as moisture can build up inside of these, and you don't want your camera or lens to get moisture inside of it. Otherwise, couldn't be happier with these!
on November 11, 2015
I got this rainsleeve upon returning from a rainy trip at Cambodia. I'm ready to head out again and it's rainy season at the location where I'm going. However, when I got this product, I was not impressed. This is one of the product that falls into the category of "better than nothing" type. This product is basically a long plastic bag with a hole and draw string. The material is weak. I use it per instruction and remove the eye cup to be reattached where the hole for the eye piece. Immediately, a tear occurred at the hole.

Pros :-
1.) Cheap and you can't find anything cheaper for this solution
2.) Came with 2 piece
3,) Better than nothing

Cons:-
1.) Cheap is what you get - cheap material which is not durable
2.) The drawstring does not hold the lense or lense cap tight enough, when you zoom or go wide angle, you expose your lense to the rain
3.) Zip lock bag is cheaper

Bottomline:- I just paid seven bucks for 2 plastic bag with a draw string and a hole. I beleive a large ziplock bag will do the trick, I do not recommend this to potential buyer.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon December 19, 2010
The rainsleeve is pretty simple - a very sturdy plastic "sleeve" in an upside-down "L" shape.. you stick your camera in the middle, your lens out the front and your hand through the other end.

You can easily make your own out of a trashbag, ziplock bag, or saran wrap (and that's actually what other people recommend as an alternative), but the thing is.. this is only a couple bucks. Do you really want to trust your expensive camera/lens to a grocery bag in order to save a little money?

The rainsleeve has a pull-tie in the front to tighten it around your lens. It also has a hole in the center to stick your viewfinder through (pop off the eyepiece, pull the hole over the remaining part of the viewfinder, put the eyepiece back on).

The thing to keep in mind, is this thing won't make your camera waterproof. It's to prevent rain from pouring all over your camera. The eyepiece is still out in the open and the front is uncovered (no shooting up into the sky/rain!). What it will do it prevent most rain from getting to the camera/lens during regular shooting, and for that it does a very good job.

One big downside of it is how big it is. The opening is made for lenses up to 7" diameter and 18" long.. that's a good-sized telephoto. What if you want to use a small prime or kit lens? That's where the drawback here is. You need to bunch up the front piece and tighten it with the pull-tie, but often even that isn't enough. I suggest using rubberbands or even electrical tape to hold it in place. The other problem is with it bunched up like this, it's difficult to move the zoom/focus rings on a lens, and the design makes it very hard/near impossible to use your neckstrap. Because of that, I suggest using a "R-Strap" or a handstrap on your DSLR.

The front is designed in a way that it's MUCH better if you use a lenshood - this will let you further protect the front element of your lens (by covering more of it.. if you cover 90% of your camera/lens, but the front of the lens sticks out 1".. I suggest not going in the rain!). A lens hood will let you slip the front of the rainsleeve onto the hood, protecting the front element from rain.

I also suggest keeping your hand INSIDE the pouch - if you put it in the pouch.. then take it out in the rain.. then put it back in the pouch.. water might get inside and the bag can fog up. The other option is to keep your hand OUTSIDE of the pouch and use it that way to trigger the shutter (it's light enough where it isn't a problem).

Another benefit besides rain, are "bad conditions" like sandy/dusty/muddy areas where you don't want any of that stuff touching your lens. After 1 use, I bought a few more packs (each pack contains 2 rainsleeves - they are reusable, but because they get wear and tear (from the eyepiece and just using them throughout the day) you may want extras).

They also make a version for about the same price that has a top compartment to hold your flash in.

Not the greatest option but certainly the cheapest.. and it works!

One other thing.. the price on these seems to change with the weather! When it gets rainy/cold, these tend to go up about 40% in price. In the summer months, they're often cheaper.
on April 18, 2015
I can't say enough good things about this rainsleeve. I committed to shooting a high school senior soccer night that was held in the pouring rain. I told the people that I would try the rainsleeve for a few minutes, and if it didn't work, I was done. It did beautifully and kept my Canon 5D Mark ii and Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS lens completely dry and safe. The shots were as good as I think anyone could get in a monsoon. This is not a joke review; I never really thought I would use these but got them "just in case". I'll never be without them again!
on September 6, 2015
I bought these again for a trip to Iceland and Norway after successfully using it at Niagara Falls. This sleeve passed the ultimate test when I used it to protect my camera on the "Maid of the Mist" tour boat at Niagara falls. I got drenched but the camera remained bone dry. You have to use a little common sense in its deployment since it is not a water tight camera housing and certainly does not make the camera submersible. Water can get around the front end which works best on a telephoto sun-shield, and through the other end where you put your hand to operate the camera. For waterfall spray and light rain however, it works fine.
on March 31, 2017
It's...Okay. yeah it's waterproof but my Canon t5 did not like it at all. The flash didn't like being constricted and neither did the lens. I bought these to go to Ireland in the spring (rains a lot) and the first one was junked immediately (you cannot set it up on the fly) the second one I messed around with as we drove and it was decent. For the price it is worth it as a back up for camera protection.
on April 29, 2014
These rainsleeves are a great item to keep in your camera bag at all times for using when unexpected weather hits, but know the limitations. This will keep rain off, but your camera can still get wet.

Two things especially to be aware of:

1. There's a hole in the top of the bag - this is so you can look through the viewfinder. If you don't need this feature, I suggest covering the hole with tape inside and outside.

2. If you have the camera strap around your neck in the rain with the bag on, water will run down the camera strap/your jacket/hands into in the bag, where it will pool under your camera and likely do damage. Trust me, I found this out. I would never use this bag for this purpose again, but if you have your camera on a tripod or carry it in such a way that the open end of the bag is not exposed to water, you should be fine.

Of course, remember that this is just a glorified plastic bag - it can rip, so be careful and inspect it before use. Yes, you can make your own waterproof sleeve from a plastic bag, but buying this saves you time and gives you the handy draw string that cinches the front opening over the lens.

Rated 5/5 because the 2-pack is so cheap, there's no reason to not have one of these stored in the bag for emergencies - just don't expect more than the price tag suggests.
on August 22, 2015
I bought these on a whim to be prepared for a trip to Alaska and they were SO handy. It's basically a plastic bag, so don't expect miracles from all the 5 star reviews, but they're more than worth it in drizzle to feel secure in your camera's safety. I can't imagine if I had been unable to take my camera out at some of the incredible places we saw. The drawstring stayed in place relatively well, but moved around a little with focusing. My only real gripe is that some of the color where the bags were branded rubbed off on my face using the camera. It came off, and I was able to reposition to avoid it, but it was annoying.
A must have for any camera bag. I don't care if your camera is weather sealed or not you should have one of these in your camera bag at all times. They will hold up to multiple uses. They are not indestructible, but they aren't a one and done either. These get the job done fro a lot less money than some of the other rain protection products out there..