BCA Month Salon Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc New Album by st vincent PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis South Park Shop Now HTL17_gno

on May 2, 2016
I find this tool to be very useful. It may not be super accurate, but it gets the job done quickly and efficiently. Like most automotive tools it will not work on all cars, but I find that it can be used on most. It can often be used without removing the tire if the rim has a big enough opening to allow access.
review image review image review image
on May 27, 2013
I love the idea of this tool, however it's design still needs a bit more perfecting.

It really does make gauging brake pads quick and easy, but as others have state it does not work on all types of caliphers. The color coded indicator make it very easy to read the worn condition of the pads, however it's a little difficult to get the gauge 90 degrees perpendicular against the rotor so you can take a accurate reading of the pads as the gauge is tip is not square or round.

The tool is made pretty much of aluminium so it hardly has any weight to it. This is a bad and good thing. It's light to carry around, but so light it feels like I can break it very easily.

The other thing I wish it had was a clip on it so I can attach to my shirt pocket.

The last thing is that this tool does not work on brake shoes.

Overall, I'm happy with this tool. I use it whenever I can to check brakes at work.
on February 3, 2015
I use this gauge as my backup gauge. My preferred gauge is the combination set that has each individual thickness set up like a feeler gauge set. However, that is bulky and does not always fit. That's where this comes in. Wheels with small spoke holes (or steelies) make it impossible to use the larger gauge. This gauge fits in tight spots, and is great for inside pads. Before having this gauge, I would have to pull off the wheels if I could not fit my other gauge. This saves me time.

The rotating scale is nice. Rarely can you get a 360 degree view of the gauge, especially if working on inside pads. You can rotate the scale to see what the reading is.

It is not perfect, though. It does not fit all pads. I don't fault it for that, as I don't think I have any tool that works on everything I've tried to use it on. But be aware it won't always work. The hooked end of the gauge can be a problem on pads that have the friction material edge close to the edge of the metal backing plate. But overall, I'd say it works on about 80% of the pads I've tried it on. Keep it as a set with another style gauge to get better coverage.

Also, pay no attention to the colored scale and use the numbers. I would not consider 8mm of pad to be caution/yellow.

Finally, as another reviewer said, a pocket clip would have been a great addition.

Overall, I'm glad I purchased this.
on July 11, 2016
I tried it on several makes of autos. and each one would require that I remove the wheel cover or in most cases, the entire wheel and tire to use the gauge. I returned to to AMAZON with No problems at all.
on April 18, 2017
I have used it to look at the PADS on my 2012 Nissan Leaf. It's a lot better than having to (A) Jack the car up, (B) Pull the wheels, and THEN look at the PAD WEAR, AND THEN Do A & B again in reverse to get going again. With this little gizmo, just poke it thru the WHEELS and get a QUICK, ACCURATE Measurement. (This thing shows that my REAR PADS need work soon!)
on July 16, 2017
I own three cars - Lexus GX460, Mazda 3, and Porsche 911. The Lexus brakes are designed in such a manner that this device cannot work even with the wheels removed. The gauge can work on the Mazda but only if the wheel is rotated to a convenient position or removed. The third car was giving the same trouble as the Lexus but I didn't study the problem as closely so maybe it could work. Hope others are luckier than I!
on June 29, 2013
I purchased to use at work. I also have the standard type gauge most people use (red, yellow, green gauge). This will let you measure pads thickness without pulling the wheels most of the time. Very compact with red, yellow, green scale. Also has numbered markings like a tread depth gauge. Spring loaded measures distance between rotor and backing plate of pad. Also very good for measuring thickness of inner pad while you're changing oil. Numbered markings are in millimeters. I still use the conventional brake gauge as well. The 6569 gauge is a good addition to your toolbox.
on June 2, 2017
only in metric used to reading in 32 ns
on June 16, 2017
easy to use and feels solid
on March 28, 2017
only works for some calipers.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.