Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide $34.99 for a limited time only Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TNF TNF TNF  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on November 3, 2012
I read through several of the reviews here, and at first I would have sided with the "bad" reviews until I figured something out about this scale. "Mark Brett" had written that the scale will sometimes randomly display numbers when trying to weigh ingredients. After a few days of owning it, I noticed the same thing. Sometimes, when using it, I could get it to stabilize enough that the numbers read correctly, but then other times I wasn't able to. My first attempt was to swap the batteries out, which "seemed" to work, but later I realized that the batteries weren't the problem. I was ready to take the unit back to the store for either a new one, or to totally exchange it for a different brand. But then (being that I'm an electronics nut) I decided to totally relocate the scale to the far side of the kitchen. Once I did that I realized that the instability in readings I was seeing was because of other electronics in the kitchen. This scale is highly sensitive to other electronics (and radio type devices may be what it's most sensitive to) so this problem is easily corrected by re-locating this scale. Since then, I've seen perfect readings and no bounce in the readout at all. Like "Book Lover" mentioned this scale is highly reliable and features a pretty long battery life. You also don't really have to zero it out in multiple steps. Before you turn it on you can simply place the bowl (or plate) you're going to measure with on top of it. The unit will automatically zero out, then you can start adding your ingredients. I like the idea I read in one review (if you're making something with several different ingredients) to zero out the scale after you weigh each individual item. That way you can note each individual weight, determine caloric value if you're trying to control intake, and get a measure of the finished product. Great scale (and once I figured out that I only needed to re-locate it my review went from bad to good). OXO, job well done 8-)
1212 comments| 196 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on December 23, 2016
I've found this scale to be reliable enough for my coffee making. I have noticed that it will display a certain weight in grams (36g, for example), and when I remove the container and place back on the scale it may then read 37g. Doing this several times may make it read 36 or 37, even if placing exactly center in the scale every time. It makes me wonder about the finer accuracy for measurements, but I'm making coffee and not trying to do legit science experiments. Aside from the one gram fluctuation, the rest of the unit performs exactly as I would expect. No issues to speak of, other than the fine accuracy. For the price, it is as precise as I would hope/expect. I'm not spending hundreds of dollars for a scale accurate to a tenth of a gram.
on August 6, 2017
The pull out display feature is convenient for containers that would otherwise cover up the display. I would have given it 5 stars but it seems to have a little glitch that causes the display to be a little unstable. On several occasions, I have had to turn it off and on multiple times to try to stop the display from flashing back and forth from the left to right sides. It operates properly for the most part.
on November 12, 2017
I didn't want to spend this much money, but I tried a few other scales and this one is well worth it. There is a larger version that is about $10 more and I believe the 5 pound scale is perfectly adequate for my purposes. I love it - it is really easy to read the display. It is small enough that I can take it with me when I travel if I so desire.
on April 21, 2017
I have been using my scale for over a week now now for portin management and it is wonderful. Very simple and EASY to use and read. This is the 5 lb scale and it is perfect for meal time portion management! Hooray! Highly recommend!!!
VINE VOICEon November 25, 2017
My old scale was round, it was harder to store since i had to have it flat in the cabinet, took more space. this one is square so it is much easier to store. just slip it onto its side on the shelf, takes minimal space. Works great.
on April 26, 2017
My friend was needing a kitchen scale and I bought this based on his needs--cooking/baking for small family-- and a review by Test Kitchens. He said it is easy to use and clean and the price seemed appropriate. Very pleased.
on September 6, 2017
Nice scale, lightweight and easy to use. It is the quality and usability that I have come to expect from OXO Good Grips products. I have found more uses than I expected and it takes up very little storage space.
on April 30, 2014
I just love this scale and really don't know how I got along baking and cooking without it. I'm so happy with it. It's just wonderful. I'm using it all the time now. Many recipes give weight measurements and I always used to guess which was quite disturbing but I had no other choice. This scale is so very simple to use. I was worried I'd not be able to understand the operations but it just can't be any simpler. I thought perhaps this 5-pound scale would be just fine because I live alone and cook for only one person. I was hoping it would be just fine and it is fine. I've discovered I don't need the 11-pound version because all of the ingredients I'm measuring so far are all under 5 pounds. So if you live alone by all means do purchase this 5-pound version. But if cooking and baking for a family you might buy the bigger version. I most highly recommend this scale. It's a lot of fun and so very easy to use.
on June 26, 2017
It works well and is small and compact. It does at time seem to be odd in it's calculating depending on how the plate/container is sitting on it. Overall it is a good value and works for what I need it for.