Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Color: Satin Chrome|Change

Showing 1-10 of 90 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 100 reviews
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon April 29, 2012
I've got a lot of devices that need charging, which means that I have at least a few cables on my desk that require quick access. To solve the messy appearance and the occasional cable that'd drop back behind my desk, I went looking for a cord catch. I'd had my eye on the OXO Good Grips cord catch for a while, but waffled on buying it because of the price. I'd finally had enough and after installing an articulating monitor arm on my desk, I decided to go ahead and try it out.

PROS:
- Nicely weighted
- Attractive appearance
- Non-slip rubber base
- Can feed two or more cables

CONS:

- Wide opening allows some cables to drop
- Kind of pricey

The OXO Good Grips cord catch is a good looking little doodad. It comes in a satin chrome finish as well as a polished chrome finish. The base is comprised of a rubber, non-slip material and the 3 ounce weight keeps the cord catch from tipping over or moving around too much. The front has a wide opening to contain the plug-ends of cables, while the rear thins out to a small opening.

Wide cables should fit through the openings without any problem, as well as multiple thin cables. However, the opening is large enough that some cables with smaller ends, like micro- and mini-USB cables, may end up dropping right through the opening. I just pair up my cables so that they won't fall back.

The OXO Good Grips cord catch is a great way to keep your cables from falling behind your desk, as long as you don't have just one small cable. I prefer it over to other solutions that require you to stick them on your desk with an adhesive. Just keep in mind that if you're looking for a cord catch for one, small cable, it might not be your best solution.
on July 21, 2010
This is the best cord catcher of several I've owned. It's small, heavy for its size, and has a nonslip base, so it stays put. The simple design and silver color look good on my desk, and it's easily moved wherever you need it. It fits all my USB cords as well as a 3/16" diameter FireWire cable; I also tried a 1/4" round cable just to see if it would fit, but that was too big. Before buying this, I thought the similarly-shaped but slightly smaller BlueLounge Cabledrops were the best solution, but they stick on and can't be relocated without carefully removing them from furniture and then replacing the double-sided tape. This is 1-3/4" diameter, 1-1/4" high, and weighs 4.7 oz. I plan to buy a few more for use wherever cords might fall behind furniture if I had to unplug something.

This is an update, as another review mentioned that very thin cables, such as Apple's USB or iPhone, may slip out of this. These cables (of which I have several) are thinner than the cord catcher's slot, so they could pop up and out, especially if the cable is going upward to an outlet. For this situation, placing the connector end vertically against the back slot minimizes this. In comparison, the BlueLounge Cabledrops have a very narrow, but pliable top opening you'd have to push a thin cable through, so they work better in this respect, but my solution works for me and I still prefer the weight and portability of the Oxo cord catcher. However, the other reviewer made a valid point I originally didn't consider and agree with (notwithstanding my solution), so I've changed my rating from 5 to 4 stars.
on April 18, 2013
I bought this to keep cables from falling off the back of my desk without using any glued-on cable clips. Overall, I'm satisfied -- it is heavy enough to do its job, and is simple metal and rubber with a good smooth finish. I have used it at various times to retain audio and power cables, as well as an older-model Kensington MicroSaver laptop lock cable (which it is heavy enough to hold down quite solidly).

As many other reviewers have noted, this device will not work if your cord's plug is small enough to slip through lengthwise. The opening at the rear is tapered and rounded, but is roughly 11 mm (0.44 in) high by 6.5 mm (0.26 in) wide.

Furthermore, it is far better at catching a cable at the plug end (i.e. preventing it from sliding off a table lengthwise), than at permanently holding the cable itself. The slot at the top is 4.91 mm (0.193 in) at its narrowest point. Cables with a smaller diameter than that can be easily lifted out or set in. Cables larger than that must be squeezed into the slot; since it's all-metal, the slot cannot be pulled open wider.

To reiterate, I do not think that you should expect this product to hold the cable in the middle of its length; it instead lets the cable slip back so that its plug is caught. However, it is very convenient if you have small cables such as audio cables or charging cables which you wish to set aside while they are unplugged and then take entirely out when in use -- it can even reasonably hold more than one such cable.

Weight: 132 g (4 5/8 oz).

If you're looking for something that grips cords more permanently and does not let them slide through, then I suggest looking at Quirky Cordies instead, which uses flexible rubber grips. Not as shiny, though.
on May 19, 2016
I think for what it is, this is overpriced. However, the design is solid. It holds your cord in place well. I was getting tired of fishing for my cord which would always fall between my bed and night stand. Since I've gotten this I've had to go scrambling for the cord a lot less.
on July 2, 2016
iPhone users, be advised that this does not work well with a lightning cord. The opening in this gadget is so large and the head of the cord is so small that the cord will slip right through the opening or lift through the top unless you put a knot or two in the cord. The package deceptively shows a depiction of a lightning cord on the box, as well as a photo showing the device holding in the thicker USB end of a cord. Of course, no one uses the cord that way. This is a good idea that's not fully developed. OXO should have put a rubber insert in the opening so it would hold any type of cord.
on June 15, 2012
This little baby is perfect for catching the power cord to my MacBook laptop computer. It has a satisfying weight and a very pleasing shape and brushed chrome finish. I just place the end of the cord into it and it holds it wherever I want it to stay. Its heft is substantial for its tiny shape, and it holds the cord securely in place, but it's light enough so that it's easy to move it around if you want to. Also it has padding on the bottom, something like feels like rubber, which leaves no mark on my glass-topped desk. I haven't tried other cords in it, so I can't speak to how well it would hold others, but it's perfect for mine. And the cute shape and feel of it cheers me up when I see it on my desk. Oxo makes great products in my experience.
on April 13, 2017
I bought these for our office and the cord slips right through the hold and they are way more of an inconvenience than you want. Believe me.
on November 15, 2013
Good heavyweight cord catch that has a few issues. The size and weight of this product is ideal and works well to hold a cable down due to the weight of the cord catch. The one major issue is the size of the opening at the top is way too large. Even with larger cables, it doesn't do a good job of holding the cables in there and keeping them from falling out. The cable catch will not move but the cables can easily fall out just by sliding out the top. I think the design should be changed to have a much smaller opening at the top or maybe even a rubber opening that can accommodate large and smaller cords. The solution I have to the larger opening though, is just to put multiple cords in a single catch. That tends to keep them in the catch and everything from falling out. As for other products on the market, I haven't been able to find one that does a better job than this one. If you don't mind the stick and place ones, the cable drops might be a better choice.
on February 14, 2016
This is the second one I have bought. The product looks good; it has a nice brushed metal finish. It stays where it is by weight alone... no adhesives. It works well for any cord that has an end about the size of your typical USB cord or a slightly smaller (Kindle style...) Micro-USB.

It DOES NOT work well for Apple Lightening Cables or similar. The gap is too big for the smaller tip which falls right through.

All-in-all happy with it. Hoping OXO comes out with one that is better suited to smaller cord ends...
on January 17, 2014
Hoping these would solve our problem with cords falling off bedside table. Didn't work. They're nice, and heavy, and I would love if they worked, but the opening at the top and the slippery nature of the steel just lets cords slip through. And if you have the new iPhone or iPad with a lightning cord, just forget about it. The cord will simply slip out the back and end up on the floor.