BCA Month Beauty altText This Week in Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on May 14, 2012
It took me a few weeks to come to grips with spending so much on a salad spinner, but I'm so glad I did. I was looking for a plastic-free salad spinner, but was unable to find one. So, this was the best thing I could come up with. The outside box arrived damaged, but the product inside was not.

The lid goes on easily with no problems lining up with the inner bowl. The lid does not attach to the bowl in any way, but it does fit nicely. The steel bowl seems sturdy and looks good. The gripping bottom and the weight of the bowl help to stabilize it as it spins. The size is just right for our family of three. It fits nicely in our fridge and yet comfortably holds more than half a head of iceberg lettuce. We typically wash, spin, and serve half of the salad, then wash, spin, and store the rest. It works well and functions as advertised. After I get it spinning pretty good, it will spin for maybe 5-10 seconds before it stops.

As for durability, only time will tell. My 5 yr old son somehow popped off the spinning mechanism, but I was able to pop it back into place with minimal effort. I've had no other issues with it so far. I still feel it's a durable product and I highly recommend it. Overall, even after the spinning part breaks, I'll still have a lovely stainless steel mixing bowl that should last for many years to come.

*Update*
Having owned it for almost a year, I am still completely satisfied with our purchase. It continues to work as it did when we first bought it. The only difference between then and now is that the plastic basket is slightly discolored. I accidently washed it in the dishwasher with dishes that had spaghetti sauce on them.
on July 30, 2012
Works well for spinning off water, but this size was too small for me...I find myself spinning spinach all the time! Also the inner part of lid is supposed to be able to be separated from the main lid...worked okay the first couple of times, but then a plastic ring on the inside just broke off. Still works, but am going to try a different/bigger spinner.

- Update: Still can't separate inner plastic lid from outer lid, but after ordering a bigger salad spinner I found it to be too big. Spinach that wasn't eaten right away went bad quicker. SO I returned to the small OXO from before. As I stated, I'm still using it even though inner lid can't be separated from outer lid...I just never wash the lid (sounds bad, I know, but I figure it can't be that dirty since its just getting wet from water spinning inside). I don't wash & store spinach anymore...I just wash a smaller amount every night.
on April 7, 2016
I use this for a salad spinner most of the time. Easy to take apart and put back together. Gets the lettuce and herbs pretty dry... Still enough to be fresh! Plus it doesn't take up a ton of room being the smaller size prefect for my use
on July 6, 2011
I owned the small spinner for 6 months and it worked wonderfully until the spinning mechanism broke. Inside the push down unit on the lid there is a single column which connects the push down "button" and inner lid which spins the inside bowl. It snapped it two. Granted i used my spinner a little vigorously at times but i would have liked for this component to have been made of metal or at least reinforced with metal to keep it from breaking from the torque. So i really liked it while it worked, it looks great, but its a little pricey to need to buy a new one every six months. Looking for a new spinner now.

UPDATE
I've contacted Oxo about my spinner's lid and they are sending me a new replacement lid for free.

Given that this salad spinner is a stylish and useful product backed with great customer service I am upgrading my review from 3 to 5 starts. I'll just cross my fingers that i had a faulty lid the first go around and it won't break again.

Thanks Oxo
on January 26, 2010
I've used a large plastic version of this salad spinner for years. About a year ago, I treated myself to the smaller version in stainless. It's great for making salad for 2-4 people, and for drying herbs and greens for cooking.

Shortly after I got it, the tiny "oxo" logo fell out of the central knob on the lid. Apparently, that holds the whole lid mechanism together. An email to the manufacturer was answered almost immediately and they sent a new lid in a few days without a fuss. It's worked fine ever since.

Gracious responses like that have become the exception, so despite the original problem, I can recommend both the product and the Oxo customer service policy.
on February 2, 2012
The Oxo brand kitchen items always seem to be very thoughtful in their designs, and this is no exception. The salad spinner is very compact, but it is plenty large enough to spin enough lettuce for a couple of dinner-sized salads. This spinner has several design features that I prefer over other spinners I've owned:

1) It has a stainless bowl with a rubber non-slip base. This beats the brittle plastic models that slide around when you're using them.

2) On the bottom interior of the stainless bowl the metal has been pushed up into a small point so as to elevate the spinning colander. This is a much better design than the usual flimsy plastic post that many spinners have. On other spinners if the tiny plastic post breaks off, the whole product is unusable.

3) Although the plunger type spinner is not unique to this product, the plunger-style spinner mechanism is more compact and efficient than the pull-string style. If the spinner uses a string, the string itself tends to absorb food juices and is difficult to fully clean.

4) The Oxo spinner assembles and dis-assembles very easily to clean.

5) The colander basket is well designed, and the smooth rounded ribs release leftover lettuce debris more easily than any spinner I've tried.

I look forward to trying this spinner for removing the hulls from sprouts, as another reviewer mentioned.
on June 7, 2015
I use it frequently. Only problem is the plastic tab that locks the push handle down. It broke very quickly, but spinner works well without it.
on January 21, 2014
This is the first salad spinner I buy so I don't have any terms of comparison. It is the ideal size for a single person or a couple. It works without any problems and my salad is dry in the end, and it makes for a pretty salad server.
on January 12, 2014
Spinning mechanisim made out of plastic and can only disassemble partially for cleaning. Since the spinner is advertised as a stainless steel spinner, one would think that the most critical part would be stainless steel.
on December 28, 2013
I have a big salad spinner, but I love my little one. Great for one person who enjoys eating healthy or the family who cooks with fresh herbs. Easy to use and dishwasher safe.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.