Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning powers4premiere powers4premiere powers4premiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 3,326 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 4,003 reviews
on June 23, 2017
FORMAT: Blu-Ray + DVD + Digital HD + Ultra Violet
UPC: 0-25192-17090-4
RELEASED: 2013-08-06

TITLE: Oblivion (2013) • PG-13 • 2:04:42
Tom Cruise, Morgan Freeman, Olga Kurylenko, Andrea Riseborough
Joseph Kosinski (Director)

I think that most of the people who are bad mouthing this movie are doing so because they expect ALL "sci-fi" movies to be "action" movies. I think this movie, while it has a goodly amount of action, is primarily a thinking person's science fiction movie (as opposed to a "sci-fi" movie, which these days is nearly synonymous with fantasy). If you want to be spoon fed a lot of explosions, gunfights, high-tech gadgets and creepy-looking, murderous xenomorphs (i.e.—aliens), then you will probably NOT enjoy this movie. However, if you don't mind paying attention to events as they unfold, and keeping track of said events from beginning to end, then you probably will enjoy this movie. I know that I thoroughly enjoyed it because it WASN'T your typical weakly-plotted, unscientific, action-oriented, "sci-fi" movie (think ANY of the Transformer movies). Is its science 100 percent accurate? No. But, it wasn't so GROSSLY inaccurate as to take me out of the plot, and make me ENTIRELY dismiss the premise of the movie. I found this film to be a welcome change of pace from most of the recent "sci-fi" movies, and I highly recommend it.

See the other reviews for more detail and/or other opinions regarding the plot of the movie.

VIDEO: 2.39:1 • Color • 1080p • MPEG-4 AVC (35.9 Mbps)

This movie features images that are very sharp, with great apparent depth, excellent shadow detail, and great contrast — and, they also possess a muted (and, sometimes, nearly monochromatic) color-palette that works very well with the tone of the source material. Fine detail is readily visible in all of the close-ups of faces, clothing, furnishings and machines — without any apparent edge-enhancement. Also, while there is some very mild banding on rare occasions (mainly, in the scene where Jack (Tom Cruise) uses his flashlight in the (now) subterranean library), there are no other anomalies to mar the image. Overall, this movie's picture quality is excellent — and, it should satisfy the VAST majority of viewers.

AUDIO: DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 (48 KHz, 24-bit)

The sound quality and mix of the DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 soundtrack is nearly reference quality. This soundtrack has most of the things that you want, sound-wise, in a movie; namely: very intelligible and well placed dialog, very deep bass in the front, side, rear and subwoofer channels, fairly active and mostly directional sound effects in ALL (i.e.—front, side and rear) channels, ambient and environmental sounds that are effective in communicating the location of the on-screen setting and action, and well recorded music (that is utilized effectively in the front AND surround channels). Overall, the sound presentation for this movie should satisfy all but the very pickiest of listeners.

EXTRAS: Director's Commentary (also featuring Tom Cruise)
Deleted Scenes
Several 'Making Of' Type Videos
Isolated Musical Score

None of the extras were reviewed.
on August 8, 2013
I thought the trailer for this movie looked awesome. However, trailers are often deceiving. I came into the movie as a SciFi fan, not a Tom Cruise fan.

I checked the Rotten Tomatoes rating and the overall Amazon rating. Coupled with the great price for the HD version, I decided to try it out. I was hoping for the best, but expecting the worst (I am still stinging from losing two hours of my life watching Cloud Atlas). I really enjoyed this movie.

Good story, good action, great special effects. It's not a top 10 movie for me (or even top 50), but it was well worth the watch.

I was curious why many people gave it a bad review and why it didn't do well in the theater. I saw review titles mentioning plot holes and such. For fear of ruining the enjoyment I had already received watching this movie, I didn't read those bad reviews. I will catch continuity errors and plot holes in some movies, but not all, and those elements must not have been as apparent in this movie as others. Ignorance is bliss in this case.
on April 13, 2017
Gorgeous 4K video and Dolby Atmos surround sound. I'm very pleased with this purchase and would highly recommend.

The only "downside" is that there is no real bonus content on the 4K disc, but that's extremely minor.

Overall a great purchase, and I highly recommend it.
VINE VOICEon June 12, 2016
A dystopian future where an alien race has destroyed Earth's moon and made war on the human race for possession of the planet. As a result, the human race used nuclear weapons to defeat the extra-terrestrial enemy but poisoned the planet in the process.

This is where we pick up the story. Jack Harper (Tom Cruise) is Tech-49 whose task is to keep drones in the air protecting the giant hydro-rigs that suck up seawater to make fusion reaction so the remainder of the human race in the "Tet", a giant orbiting spacestation, can move to Titan, Jupiter's largest moon to begin again. Then, out of nowhere, an ancient space shuttle lands with the woman that haunts Jack's dreams.

I was surprised by the numerous twists and turns in this film. The tech is cool, the special effects are very good as if the ravaged, desert landscape. The action sequences are excellent. Cruise does a fine job in his role as does Andrea Riseborough who plays "Victoria", Tech-49's communication link with the Tet and partner. Olga Kurylenko gives a wooden performance as the "woman in his dreams" but doesn't detract significantly from the overall production.

This is good sci-fi that will surprise you as the film progresses. I enjoyed this film immensely and I think most sci-fi fans will too. This is a first-rate movie, five stars.
on October 12, 2013
I've read some rather pointed critique about this film, however I found the film entertaining and although they sometimes "give the plot line away" in still delivers a couple of decent twists and surprises. There are precious few decent sci-fi films today, so against this sad background I found Oblivion to be a refreshing and positive experience. The story is plausible and the pacing is good. Tom Cruise may be a wacky person off-screen but he continues to deliver some very credible performance in exactly the way that Bruce Willis does not (try watching "A Good Day to Die Hard" to see how far Bruce has fallen from his "Twelve Monkeys" days). So kudos to Tom Cruise, the supporting cast, the story, the photography, special effects and the Director for pulling off a complex film. I've watched this film 3 times and it still pleases - few films do that for me. I find techno-trash films like Prometheus to be depressingly stupid - Oblivion was a really nice surprise by comparison.
I have loved science fiction movies since I was a little tot and my enthusiasm for good science fiction stories continues into my senior years. I initially saw this movie at a theater and liked it so much I bought the DVD. This movie (Oblivion: Starring Tom Cruise and Morgan Freeman) is an interesting story set in the future with Tom Cruise playing Jack Harper whose job is being the only security repairman stationed on a destroyed earth.

This movie moves along at a quick pace and when Jack Harper rescues an unknown woman who crashed on Earth his world begins to unravel. Everything he had been told may be a lie as he attempts to deal with reality. I never like to give away every detail because it spoils it for the movie viewer. This movie was interesting and entertaining.

Rating: 4 Stars. Joseph J. Truncale (Author: The Samurai Soul: An old warrior’s poetic tribute).
on April 18, 2017
I really enjoyed the movie, there was a lot of action and the story line is really well done. I love the way the you think the story is one thing only to find out that something else is really going on. Your on a ride with main character played by Tom Cruise as he slowly learns that the world he sees in not what is really happening. I loved the special effects and how they were make you think that building was up there so high.
on May 24, 2015
Really enjoyed this Sci Fi flick.

Technically from an A/V persepective excellent audio, and video quality. Effects are well done. Music soundtrack well matched for the situation. Story is in the future after a calamity occurs on Earth. No spoilers here.

Tom Cruise saves the day by finding out truth of what is not what you would expect, or him for that matter. Key references made from the past help bind together his relationship to a key character. Near the end, you'll care too. It is difficult to describe without giving away too much.

This is a very good view. A must view borderline. Fun film in the genre.
on May 22, 2017
One of my favorites. Full of surprises and you will watch it over and over for different reasons. Visually stunning.
on January 20, 2016
Though I'm not a fan of most Tom Cruise's movies, I made an exception and actually bought this one after a Netflix viewing. It's got a great plot with a nice twist at the end of the story, both of which prevent this flick from becoming just another Tom Cruise vehicle showcasing his chiseled good (?) looks. The cinematography is wonderful, full of dizzyingly airborne perspectives of the Earth's surface. The cameo appearance of a famous african-american actor (spoilers!) as a seeming villain who turns out to be a heroic, self-sacrificing figure works well (for once). The sci-fi technology is nicely done CGI imagery that's not too over the top. The story's premise is also believable: this eerie post-apocalyptic world is sparsely populated and its redeemers win the day in a plausible and convincing manner. All in all, this is a visually stunning and intellectually satisfying flick... even with Tom Terrific as the lead.