Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Oblivious Investing: Building Wealth by Ignoring the Noise
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Joseph Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Florida Georgia Line Water Sports

on December 11, 2012
The author, Mike Piper is appalled at the prices being asked for his book. The one star is not a reflection on the author but meant to get the attention of potential buyers and to tell them to buy a better, cheaper, more current book on the subject: "Investing Made Simple" by the same Mike Piper. It is for sale on Amazon for only $10.20 (or $4.99 for the Kindle version). I hate it when people try to rip-off the public on Amazon or anywhere else.

Here is a recent quote from Mike Piper: "The book (Oblivious Investing) is intentionally out of distribution, because I'm actively trying to discourage people from buying it. It's intended for the same audience as the (more recent) Investing Made Simple, but I feel that I did a better job conveying the ideas on the second attempt. So the hope is that people will buy Investing Made Simple rather than the other book or both books.

Unfortunately, I can't do anything about third parties selling their own copies. (But it now occurs to me that I could attempt to get Amazon to change the product description to indicate what's going on with the book.)

Thanks, Mike
on April 29, 2009
Wow! A very concise, informative investment guide is found within the pages of "Oblivious Investing: Building Wealth by Ignoring the Noise." I wish this book was available to me when I made my leap into the world of investing. It would have save me many disappointments and frustrations.

Too often we are confused by our own bias, the cacophonous investment raucous, and well-intentioned but misguided recommendations. So how does one succeed at investing? A knowledge of and the ability to execute the fundamentals (basics), practicing self-discipline and keeping emotions under control, and being prepared and keeping proper perspective are just a few keys to investment success. In investing, as in life, success is found through understanding, planning, moderating, focusing, and executing.

"Oblivious Investing" is a definite must read for those that are always chasing outsized returns and the latest "Get Rich Quick" scheme. What it takes are sticking to the basics, knowing your predispositions, and not thinking too much of one's investment skills.

I will keep this book as an investment touchstone and buy copies for friends and family. In those rare instance, when I'm speaking on taxes and finances, I will provide copies to attendees.
on April 21, 2009
This book is a great read. It offers meaningful, doable advice for building a long-term investment strategy. It points out the pitfalls of listening to the sensationalist financial media and obsessively following the short-term performance of the market. Using powerful visuals, Oblivious Investing points the average person toward an investing strategy that will work in the long run -- as long as he or she can stick with it by "ignoring the noise."
on January 23, 2012
I did not bother to read the description which basically said this is written in a story format, a dialogue between a financially knowledgeable uncle and a niece looking for investment help. Cute, but not what I was looking for.

I bought it to round out my layman's knowledge of portfolio construction. That aspect met my expectations, the book offers value if you're looking into buy-and-hold, broad based indexes, and so forth. I believe there are better books out there that are targeted at adult level reading.

I soon gave up on the book simply because of the story format, and gave it to an adult friend who was looking for investment help, who had yet to read even one book about investing... she loves this format. So the book has merit, if the style suits you.
on May 4, 2009
Too often investing books focus on complex details of beta coeffients, P/E ratios, etc; and not the essentials of a creating a successful strategy and actually following it.

Oblivious Investing has finally cut through all the jargon with an easy to read, easy to understand plan. I would highly recommend this book to anyone seeking to avoid the constant (and pointless) stress many of us experience by checking the market everyday. I wish I would have had this book when I started investing!
on December 30, 2012
I liked the simplicity of this book. I also liked that the author makes it clear that we shouldn't get caught up in what everyone else is caught up in. It made me honestly think that I was just as smart as anyone else out there and that others were touting this or that because that's what someone else was telling them to do. If you think you know better, you probably do, and this book will help you realize that it's ok to do your own thing! Overall I wish this book was around when I was younger because it would have saved me some big bad mistakes along the way. I'm ready to read some more of his books!
on April 20, 2009
Piper's book is a home run. He delivers very important information in a very digestible manner. He gets to the point without the fluff. He doesn't waste any time on self-promotion either. As a reader, you sense his commitment to his audience.

I'm a financial planner but I'm going to make sure each of my daughters read this important book.
on September 1, 2010
This book is helpful for anyone nervous about the market, interested in the market and for anyone who doesn't have the time to make investing a full time job. The book is told in a real life story format that helps the reader understand the underlying concepts. The author deserves a great deal of praise for putting together this much needed book that you will surely find joy and great benefits from.
on April 17, 2009
This book simplifies investing down to its most crucial elements. For someone who's unclear on the many details of the financial world (as I am), Piper's easy to understand explanation is a great help. After reading this book, there's no excuse NOT to begin investing and working toward reaching your goals.
on November 11, 2013
Best investing book i have read. So simple anyone can understand it. MIke piper is an excellent author. Love his blog as well