Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 27 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 74 reviews
on June 22, 2013
UFO was entering it's first decade of work on 1978's "Obsession". This would be their 7th studio release and their 2nd with producer Ron Nevison, who did their great album "Lights Out", in 1977. This would be the last album with guitar god Michael Schenker (until 1995). Solid rocker in "Only You Can Rock Me", Schenker and Raymond cover this track. "Pack It Up (And Go)", sounds like a Zeppelin tune from "Physical Graffiti", strong rocker. Pete Way always had a problem with strings, he just never thought of it as a rock 'n' roll thing, but i find "Arbory Hill", a pretty little ditty, Michael on flute. "Ain't No Baby", was inspired by John Waite of the Babys, I guess Chrysalis' office took down UFO's posters and put up The Babys in it's place, a nice melodic rocker. "Looking Out For No. 1", a lovely ballad with beautiful strings, Schenker puts in a nice solo. The steam rolling "Hot 'N' Ready". The great "Cherry", Way does a terrific job on bass here, this should of been a top 40 hit! The hard chargin' "You Don't Fool Me", the strutting guitar of Schenker is awesome. The string arrangement returns with the (reprise) of "Looking Out For No. 1". "One More For The Rodeo", a smooth rocker with some of Phil Mogg's best vocals. "Born To Lose", Schenker's guitar and strings melt into each other on this great closing track. 3 live tracks on the bonus material, they would release their ultimate live album in 1979, "Strangers In The Night", then in 1980 they would release "No Place To Run", with new guitarist Paul Chapman. After this release there would be 2 camps of UFO fans.
on March 24, 2014
I love UFO of the Michael Schenker years, and Obsession is one of their albums from that period. My three favorite UFO albums are Force It, Lights Out, and Obsession, while one of my favorite songs (Rock Bottom) comes from an earlier album (still with Schenker), but which overall was too early/the first album with Schenker, and I didn't think it was as good as these three. I love the vocal harmonies and straight-forward rock of Force It, while Lights Out seems to progress into more diversity, and Obsession almost has a darker, more noire flavor... vocals not as raw and more haunting, more echo-ish guitar riffs going on in the background rather than front-line, but still one of my favorite albums and bands of all time! I recommend this album if you like great rock 'n roll from one of the best bands of the rock 'n roll era.
on April 26, 2013
When I was in college and this UFO album came out, I HAD to have it (I was a big fan of their music obviously). It was so nice to hear some new and fresh UFO rock at the time and this album found its way to the turntable at every party we had. "Only You Can Rock Me" started off the whole affair and the album just got better as it went on. All these years later I decided to check it out again as I was feeling nostalgic. It came in the mail and I couldn't wait to get it home and play it. Some albums I've revisited with have sounded dated and out of place and are better served as fun memories of the past, not so with this CD. It still maintains it's integrity and the sounds are as fresh as the day they were originally released. Then again UFO was very melodic and intelligent metal in the day and still is as far as I'm concerned. The really cool thing now days is the bonus tracks that are added, and they only make this album shine that much more. Since two of the bonus tracks were recorded in Columbus, Ohio, I must come to the conclusion that the whole show was recorded... now I'm wondering why that show isn't released?
on January 11, 2002
Obsession is almost too good to be true.
I bought the remastered Japanese import from Amazon and I'm listening to it today for the first time. I'm blown away.
Not only is the production and digital remastering incredible, but the song selection is as mesmerizing and magical as you'll find anywhere. This is, without a doubt, one of the finest hard rock albums ever recorded!
Growing up, I was more familiar with Lights Out (1977), Force It (1975) and Phenomenon (1974). I listened to those albums on occasion, but lost track of UFO shortly after Lights Out.
For the record, Lights Out contains one of my all-time favorite tracks ("Love to Love") but no less than FIVE of UFO's best songs call Obsession home: "Only You Can Rock Me," "Lookin' Out For No. 1," "Hot 'n' Ready," "Cherry," and "Born to Lose" -- and not a single track of the other six is a dud. Virtually this entire CD could be called a "greatest hits" package!
Originally released in 1978, and featuring one of the most recognizable and bizarre Hipgnosis covers of all time, Obsession was arguably UFO's high-water mark. Guitarist Michael Schenker bailed after Obsession and second bannana guitarist Paul Raymond filled in for No Place to Run (1980), which was the beginning of the end of the classic UFO line-up and sound.
Obsession is a feast for the ears, with lots of blistering, squeaking guitar, classic Phil Mogg vocals, crisp drumming from Andy Parker, solid songwriting and bass playing from Pete Way and some great contributions from Paul Raymond.
Although this is undoubtedly a total band effort, it's probably Michael Schenker that shines brightest on Obsession -- which is something I hate to admit given his surly personality and widely reported dismal treatment of his band mates.
Schenker's playing runs the gamut, from pleasant, almost Medieval acoustic licks ("Arbory Hill") to take-no-prisoners riffing on "Pack It Up," "Ain't No Baby" and "Hot 'n' Ready."
"Ain't No Baby," another of my favorite tracks, is a rock-solid track that begins slowly and sweetly...then kicks into high gear with a growling, bottom-heavy riff and some truly remarkable and melodic background vocals on the chorus. Brilliant.
Obsession is UFO at their absolute best. No fan of melodic hard rock should be without this album. I can't believe I was without it for nearly 25 years!
44 comments| 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 6, 2013
This is a great CD from start to finish and deserved much more air play than it ever received. Probably the most played song on the record is the classic "Only You Can Rock Me" this song alone is worth buying the record. The whole album flows perfectly from one song to another including and instrumentals before "Looking Out Number One" and I Aint No Baby. Phil Mogg's vocals are at their best on every song and Michael Shanker just rocks on the axe. This is great record that's not to hard but is certainly no softy to add to your collection!
on August 4, 2016
Michael Schenker was a perfect fit for UFO and vice-versa. You can really hear the chemistry. Shame they couldn't make it work. I hear something every time I listen to it.
on September 10, 2010
Obsession will rock you from start to finish. That is one thing that makes an album a classic, the other is truely great songs. Every song on this album is great. It starts out with a bang with"Only you can rock me" and goes right into another rocker in "Pack it up and go". My favorites are "Looking out for No.1" and "Cherry", but I love every song on this cd. The extra tracks are live versions of "Pack it up and go", "Ain't no baby, and "Hot and ready". UFO is with out a doubt the most under appreciated rock band of all time, they did not receive air time on radio in the USA so many people were unaware of them. Their seventies albums were all classics in my books. Phil Mogg is a great singer and frontman, Michael Schenker is one of the greatest quitarist of all time. Check this one out and you will see. UFO will truely "Rock You".
on October 29, 2015
Truly amazing guitar playing by MS... Great songs too............
on November 6, 2006
UFO at the top of their game. I have recently been listening to my collection of UFO classics. The entire collection is excellent,however, I feel this and "lights Out" are the most consistent. Every song is notable. If you like powerful, catchy, hard driving rock with the perfect mix of melody and power, then this CD is for you. This CD rewards multiple listens. Indeed, I appreciate it more now than I did twenty-eight years ago, when I first purchased it and the sound of this remastered version is a vast improvement over the earlier CD reissue.
on August 29, 2015
Just got it today-8/29/2015!! I love it!! Awesome!! Fantastic!! Amazon is like a Xmas Wonderland!! I will be doing all of my shopping here!! Great music store!! Great!! Amazon has everything you could ever imagine or want!! :o)