Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Electronics Gift Guide $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family Now shipping All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Obsidian (Lux)
Format: Paperback|Change

on September 10, 2016
To be completely honest, the moment I found out Obsidian was about aliens I nearly stopped reading. I am simply not a fan of alien novels. Not really my thing. However, since a really good friend recommended this to me, I decided to read at least the first book in the series. I am SO glad I did!! Daemon + Katy FOREVAH!

I am so in love with these two + Dee + a few other characters. This story is rife with love + betrayal + so many difficult stories. Also, I love that she's a blogger! I totally connect with her character. <3 She's so real and complex, but all the characters are multi-dimensional through the story. How else would you be drawn so far into this world of aliens and alternate universes? I also believe that if the bad guys aren't complex, they're not realistic at all. So when I find myself truly wishing a character ill, I feel it's an amazing story.

On of my favorite scenes in this first book is when Katy goes to the neighbor's house since the kids living there are around her age. She's simply going to ask directions, but the ulterior motive is to try to become friends with one or both teens. And man, there is some serious chemistry from the first interaction! I'm rooting for them from the beginning.

Armentrout has seriously made me an alien fan with this series, which is really saying something because any time I've experienced alien fantasy, I'm bored. This...well, I think aliens are pretty fantastic now! You're gonna want to at least try the sample, but you'll be sucked in within the first chapter if you're anything like me!
on August 25, 2017
I have had this book both as an Ebook on my Kindle and the bound copy of the first 2 books on my bookshelf that I picked up from the bargain section at some point... I have been meaning to read it and when I was laying in bed unable to sleep I started it on my Kindle. I can't believe I waited to read this one. I know there was hype and I was nervous about that, but I even stayed away from any spoilers, I don't even think I read the synopsis. The book did not disappoint.

That being said this book is such a stereotype of the Young Adult genre - there is the unearthly beautiful boy, who is a jerk; there is the beautiful but doesn't realize it girl (luckily here she is also a book-blogger - scoring bonus points in my book); and there is the paranormal elements and the romantic story. BUT with all those stereotypes it was still a great read. I am a sucker for the jerk/hot guy in YA books and their love/hate thing is intoxicating.

The story follows a girl in a new town with mysterious neighbors, they have a secret and she is getting weird vibes from the whole town. She is introduced and then weirder things start to happen. The rest of the book is about Daemon pushing away while his sister, Dee, wants to be her best friend.

I really enjoyed this book and flew through it in a few sittings, I already have the 2nd book on my shelf so that one will be picked up very soon... but I kind of want to spread them out a bit.
on October 20, 2017
I’ve seen this book sooo many times before, and every time I’ve passed it over for another. Well this time I decided to give it a try. It was like it was calling out to me. And boy was that a fabulous idea!!

I love a good enemies to lovers story and, though there was no steamy bits in this one it being a YA read and all, I was not disappointed. I absolutely loved “watching” Katy and Daemon fight from the first time they met all the way to the end. It just made all the little sweet spots in between so much sweeter.

And let’s not forget about the whole plot!! Goodness!! I liked the whole alien against alien thing versus aliens against humans. It makes for a more interesting story. Especially since I really like Daemon and Katy together. Although the humans are definitely lurking in the background... looking all kinds of shady... hmm... wonder what they’re up to...

Anywho! I’ll definitely be reading the remainder of this series. I absolutely MUST know what happens next because this story is clearly FAR from over. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, this is something like a cliff hanger though the main story has been nicely tied up. That final page definitely says more Daemon and Katy to come.

Looking forward to it! :)
on June 25, 2014
With the upcoming release of Opposition looming (*cough* August 5 *cough*), I discovered something disturbing... I never finished the first four books in the series! What the what?! Thankfully I have time for a refresher on the first two books, and to finish the other two, before Opposition's release.

Obsidian is definitely one of those books that I enjoyed far more the second time around than I did when I first read it. Not that I DIDN'T enjoy it the first time... I just connected with it more, and rated it higher, this time. Obsidian was my first alien book way back when I read it, and now that I think about it, I haven't read another alien book since! With her trademark humor, kickass heroine and super sexy men, Jennifer set the bar high and no other alien book has caught my interest.

I freaking love the dynamic between Katy and Daemon. Their banter was fantastic and I thoroughly enjoyed watching them grow from neighbors who had no desire to be around each other to friends... and finally more. Sure it was a bumpy road with lots of secrets and twists and turns, but I was hopelessly hooked, even the second time around. I remembered the big parts of the story, but I was a little fuzzy on the small details so it was like discovering the story for the first time. With a strong female lead, swoony book boyfriend, kissy scenes, tension, secrets, mystery and action, Obsidian had a little something for everyone.

One of the other things I thoroughly enjoyed about the book this time around was Katy's life as a blogger and her obsession with books. The references were a bit lost on me the first time I read this book, in my pre-blogging days. I didn't even follow blogs back then, even though I was an avid reader. But this time, I had a bit of a chuckle or a head nod every time she mentioned it.

I did read this in audiobook format and I have to mention how much I enjoyed Justine Eyre's narration. I think she did Katy's voice and inner dialogue perfectly. When I read Katy the first time, I read a lot of her inner dialogue as sarcastic. Justine sounded *exactly* like I imagined Katy. Plus I loved the way she did Daemon's voice... especially when he was saying "Kitten." Yes, please! Pacing and inflection is important in an audiobook and I think Justine absolutely nailed it.

Books like Obsidian make my daily commute – and sometimes household chores – so, so much more enjoyable. I can't wait to finish the first four books and then see what happens in Opposition!
on February 29, 2016
>Book Review – Obsidian –

>I am an independent reviewer. This is the first book in the Lux series and ends kind of up in the air. Katy and her mom move from Florida where there are sad memories of her deceased dad, to West Virginia for a fresh start. It is the summer before Katy’s senior year. With her mom pushing her, Katy tries to make friends with her only neighbors, twins Dee and Deamon. Deamon is hostile towards Katy from the minute he meets her, while Dee seems to be starving for friendship.

>Katy is an introvert, much happier on her blog, reviewing books, than actually spending time with people. She seems to have a huge capacity to take mental abuse, as Deamon and some kids from school are really mean towards her for seemingly no explanation. I felt tears come to my eyes when a group wouldn’t let Katy eat lunch with them, making fun of her for no reason we knew of yet.

>Deamon seemed to have a bit of a split personality, sometimes acting attracted to Katy and sometimes acting as if she makes him sick. Of course, as the story goes on, the reader is let in on what is truly going on and why Daemon is trying to fight his attraction to Katy. There is a lot of action towards the end of the book, when the bad guys are revealed and Katy is in danger.

>This book is appropriate for a young adult (16+) to adult audience. As an adult, the story was riveting, even though the characters were in high school. I am giving this story 5 stars.
on January 14, 2016
*This review was originally written in 2014 but wasn't posted until now.

Oh, hot damn. Yep, I said it. I don't think I've been this gushy about a YA series since Twilight. I've been dying to read this series for quie some time and I decided that it was finally time to dive into them.

I started out with Shadows, the prequel novella, and I have to say that I have no idea how everyone could have read Obsidian without knowing Bethany and Dawson's story beforehand. It would have driven me insane trying to figure out Daemon and wondering why all of the characters were acting the way that they were.

So, Jennifer L. Armentrout is now officially on my auto-buy list. Not many author's are, but she has now become one. From what I've seen so far, the Lux series is really well written. The characters are amazing and have a great voice and individual personalities to them.

Obsidian is very easy to get into. I was addicted to it as soon as I began reading. One of the ways that I judge how much I like a book is by the draw it has on me when I'm not reading it. This book hooked me so badlythat I feared I was going to hurt my Kindle because of how long and often I had it turned on. When I couldn't read it, it killed me because I wanted to be.

I think Daemon's initial jerk-ness would have bothered me had I not read Shadows but I did and I understood from the beginning why he was acting the way he was. I love him and his character as well as Katy's. I love that she isn't an innocent little character. She has strength and attitude.

I would definitely recommend this book.

Rating: 5 Stars.
Character: Katy and Daemon.
on April 28, 2016
If anyone could make aliens sexy, it would be Jennifer Armentrout! After reading and loving other books by Jennifer, I knew I had to check this one out as well. This book was great! I loved that our main character, Katy, not only loves to read, but she is also a book blogger. Not only that, but Katy is smart, funny, witty and gives Daemon, our main man, a run for his money. I liked that Katy was able to keep up with Daemon and she didn't back down. Their bantering was hilarious and sexy all at the same time. Oh Daemon. The bad boy. You can't help but to be pulled to him. I didn't like Daemon when he was being a jerk, but he had his wonderful moments which I treasured because they were rare. The tension between him and Katy ran high and hot. But the kicker is that even though Daemon treats Katy awful at times, she's not one of those girls that sits back and accepts that. It's one of the first times I've seen a heroine differentiate between love and lust. How refreshing! I can't wait to see how their relationship moves forward with each book. I devoured this book and it's a good thing I already bought the second one because I can't wait to get started!
on June 9, 2015
Oh wow, why did it take me so long to start reading this series??? I hope the rest are as good as this one as it was fabulous.

Move over vampires and werewolves, Luxen and in particular Daemon Black, is now the ‘in thing’ for me in my paranormal books.

This story had me enraptured from the very first page. Katy our story point of view has moved to a little tin pot town in West Virginia and is trying to adapt to their new life, new school and a new start for her and her mother. She’s a sensible girl who her mother can rely on to stay out of trouble, however that is tested as she didn’t expect to move in next door to a family of aliens and a gorgeous cocky one at that, making for some exciting times.

Katy Schwartz and Daemon Black, are our heroine and hero. I just had to laugh at their surnames, Schwartz and Black. In case you don’t know Schwartz means black in German and I found this choice of names funny, I’m not sure why but it just tickled my funny bone. Sorry, having a weird moment. LOL

The banter from the get go between Katy and Daemon is fantastic, eliciting a few stares while I was laughing out loud at this book. They get on each others nerves even though they are completely attracted to one another, but their denial of it just makes for great reading. They do have a steamy moment which creates a fair amount of electricity to whet your appetite for more.

The pace is fantastic and I found this book so hard to predict, I had to keep reading it way past bedtime. The writing is fantastic too and you can feel as well as see what’s happening clearly with each line. It does have an open ending but you feel that the first one is finished even though there is much more of the story to tell.

I could go on and on about this book and bore you to tears, and so I won’t torture you that way but I will say this:- If you haven’t started this series GET ON IT NOW you absolutely won’t regret it.

Overall, a fast paced, unpredictable, alien loving read. I recommend this to anyone who loves paranormal romance books.
on August 23, 2014
This was a pretty good young adult paranormal romance read. One of the my main issues with it, though, is that it basically follows THE formula for young adult paranormal romance. Involving aliens instead of vampires was unique, but otherwise this book had many parallels to others such as Twilight. Human girl just moved to new town (and new state) meets gorgeous mysterious guy who tries to fight his own attraction to her, but in the end can't resist her. There develops a hot friction between the two. Then throw in the revelation of the boy's paranormal origins, complete with supernatural enemies who target the girl in order to get at the guy.

However, even though the premise is very similar, it's still a fun one to read about! I have to say, though, Obsidian did not suck me in completely as Twilight did.

It was still enjoyable enough, though, and chances are I will pick up book 2 at some point. The relationship between gorgeous mysterious guy and human girl (who, in this rendition, hearts books and has her own book review blog - extra points for that!) never actually fully develops in this first installment, leaving me feeling frustrated in way that made me equal parts annoyed and anxious to keep reading to get to the good stuff!
on August 23, 2017
This book was okay, the plot intriguing but the back and forth, up and down from Daemon to Kat was sooooo irritating. And Kat didn't make it any easier, she seriously needed to grow a pair and tell him to "F" off for being so indecisive. Only at the end of the book does she finally put her foot down for being a complete jerk to her and he better pay and grovel at her feet in book two to win her affections otherwise i will NOT be happy. I absolutely hate when the female character is a push over to a male alpha no matter how "hot" he is. Another gripe was the cost of this book, at $5.99 I just expected more, not sure if I'll purchase the 2nd one, but we'll see.