Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TNF TNF TNF  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on September 23, 2012
This has been a great resource for me over the years, from residency, as staff and on a medical support/medcap type mission. I still have my 2007 purchased copy as it has my own notes added, and I love it. However, after 5 years there are a few things outdated and missing...and I am really hoping that there is an update on the way for a paper version. If I ever lose/destroy my current version it will be tough to remember all my edits.

That said, I just ordered 3 copies to give to people in a resource limited environment--I know that a lot of the medications/algorithms etc will have things they can't do or have access to, but the principle concepts are very useful. Also, in the era of online access to everything, there is still a place for small, paper based resources that can fit in a pocket (albeit a thick pocket for this book). I can certainly attest to the lack of wifi/computers/3G etc in large portions of the world! Oh, and yes, there is an app for this, but going by the reviews I've found so far, it's not a robust application (and hard to tell if the actual content has been updated since 2007).

In any case, yes I still recommend this, but use your other resources to understand what information is aging out. I'm giving it a 3.5, rounding up to 4 as I am holding out hope for an update. At that point, going by past history it will be a 5 for a pocket resource.

Recommended with caveats.

JTG
on January 28, 2014
If you are going into OB/GYN well then this book is pretty great to get started, has a lot of things that you will be referencing during your first couple of years, my only gripe about it is that the binding is horrible and this book falls apart within the first couple of weeks that you are using it. I skimmed it once through at home before ever using it, and by the time I took it out in a real work setting, the pages were already falling out. I haven't done it yet, but I am looking into possibly using superglue to put it all back together, but it is a bit annoying that on the 6th edition, the bindings don't hold up to the test of time (and I was not abusing this book, it was just regular perusing, the glue on the back of the pages that holds it to the binding just isn't that strong)
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on April 7, 2014
This is almost like having a ream of Up-to-Date pages in your pocket. However, as often as "EVIDENCE-BASED" stone etchings come out, Gordon had best come out with a new edition every 6 months. With that in mind, an easily edited Kindle edition would be best. You know, modern medicine is chasing an asymptote of perfection. I predict we will see poorer outcomes as the algorithms get exceedingly complex. Neither doctor nor patient really knows when to so much as get a Pap smear or a mammogram anymore. This is a good one site source to document what you once were taught or how you did things way back in.....2012.
on March 1, 2013
This book is a great reference. However, even with its small size, it is a big thick and heavy for your white coat pocket. I did carry it around during my OBGYN rotation, because I thought it would be good to have.

Although the information is great and easy to read and access if you know what page it is on, locating the information you need is not so easy if you are not already familiar with the book. If you plan to use this, take some time to flip through it before you start your rotation.
on November 12, 2010
The previous edition was much thinner, but you needed a magnifying glass to read it and was not as comprehensive. This one adds a primary care section which is nice for basic stuff if you don't want to be an OB. The overall visual format of this version was a big improvement save it be it added like 200 pages. Good to help remind me of things I can't ever remember about Gyn. Terrible index though. The drug index is a nice feature, but the content index is bad news. I hope their next edition has a better way to help you find the mass amounts of information mixed into 600 pages.
on July 30, 2015
I'm a 3rd year med student. Lovely book for reference. It's pretty highly regarded by our attendings as use for 3rd year and residency. It's better suited for residency but also good for 3rd year just to have on hand.
on October 24, 2011
As previous reviews state, this book is a great, detailed reference, especially for nights on Labor and Delivery. However, I wish there was a new edition that didn't include the Endocrine section; I'm a family medicine doctor and don't really need the Endocrine information in my pocket at all times. It would take some of the bulk out of it. But, still glad I bought it and will just deal with the extra few ounces weighing me down.
on February 14, 2014
I have used this book since my first year as an OB Gyn resident, and still refer to it when I blank out on certain details. I now have a teaching position with a medical school, and I purchase these to give to the students I precept. Excellent reference! I get most of my "pimp" questions from this book.
VINE VOICEon April 22, 2008
This is a great quick reference book for clinical practice. Easy to read (despite small print) and to the point information. Another reviewer said this new edition was too big to fit in their pockets; apparently they have really small pockets because I have no trouble putting it in a lab coat. On the other hand, it won't fit in my scrub pockets, so perhaps this is what the reviewer is referring to. Either way, I recommend this reference manual to residents, nurses, nurse practitioner and midwifery students.
on April 24, 2017