Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Acoutsic Christmas STEM $34.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MMM MMM MMM  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on March 12, 2012
I purchased this Sonic Screwdriver Wii Remote for my grandfather for his birthday. We both love Doctor Who and watch it quite often on Netflix. The remote arrived sooner than expected and has been alot of fun to use. It's cool because when you see the Eleventh Doctor use his Sonic Screwdriver you feel a bit of pride like, "I have one of those."
My grandfather hates batteries and likes that this has a charger. He doesn't lose the remote because its always either next to his chair or next to the Wii charging. I haven't noticed any decline in user time and I've had the remote for nearly 5 months.
Overall, I liked the product. The charger was actually more convenient than hinder-some. The weight and size is actually more comfortable to me than a normal Wii remote, and I'm considering buying one for my new place.
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 24, 2014
Wow! My 11-year old couldn't wait to get this sonic screwdriver for his birthday to use with his Wii, and what a disappointment!

It doesn't charge and can only be used when connected to a power source, and even then-the nunchuks can't be attached with the power cable plugged in!!

I went on the web site to read reviews, and found SEVERAL people with the same problem, some even posting their complaints over a year ago!

Sometimes things don't work or a bad production batch occurs, but then why is this item still being sold knowing so many are defective????
on February 27, 2013
I purchased this under the influence that it wouldn't charge, so I kept every part of the box only to find out that mine worked perfectly! My only complaint is that you need to have a normal one to play because you can't just press the "A" button to have it connect, you need to go to the wii menu and press "reconnect remotes" for it to work.
on December 31, 2012
I received this Wii Remote as a gift on Christmas. This product is awesome. The detail is of the Doctor Who Sonic Screwdriver is great. It feels well made and is also very light when you hold it in your hand. It comes with rechargeable batteries built in that you must charge before use. A USB cable for charging is included, so you have a number of ways to charge it. The cable is short however. It has a port on the bottom as well for a Wii Nunchuck.

Overall, this is a great product. Highly recommend for Doctor Who fans that have a Wii/Wii U.

One complaint, the top of the screwdriver does not light up like the show or other screwdriver toys.
on December 5, 2014
I love this remote because it is Dr Who and I am a nerd. My Wii is broken but I can still keep it as memorabilia, so there's also that.
It works fine, the only problem I have had with it is when you play games where you hold the remote sideways it is very awkward because of all the extra space. (The one we have is Kirby Epic Yarn but many of the downloadable retro Nintendo games use the sideways controller method as well) However for everything else it works great.
on May 27, 2014
The housing is well designed, and feels good in your hand, but the rest is rather cheaply made. The buttons have flaky contacts (sometimes they don't respond, and sometimes you get double presses) and the battery is cheap and doesn't hold a charge well. Of course, there's no way of telling how old the battery is either. I knew the risk when I ordered it, and it operated pretty well just long enough to not be able to return or exchange it. I may open it up at some point and fix it, but for now it just looks cool on my desk. :P
on May 6, 2013
Bought this for my daughter, a huge Whovian, for her birthday and it doesn't even work. The instructions say to let it charge before use. If it doesn't charge, "replace the battery." Absolutely CANNOT figure out how to get the battery out -- I took all the tiny itty-bitty screws out, but the remote seems to be one solid piece that will probably break if I try anything else. Worst of all my "window for return" was over a month before her actual birthday, before we even knew that it didn't work. Worst purchase ever. Do not buy it -- this company is making money on this product that is less than worthless.
on February 15, 2014
I have had this for two years now with no complaints. it works great, better than the Wii-motes and it is fun using it. Especially when watching Dr. Who on Amazon Prime. Some have complained about charging but as long as you keep the Wii on (yellow indicator) it will charge fine and it holds a charge for a long time. I heartily recommend this produce for any Whovian out there who also have a Wii. Perhaps it is a little odd using it for some play - it has a very different feel and takes some getting used to. I say to you BUY IT!
on December 30, 2014
I bought this for the hubby, a true Whovian, so that he could have a screwdriver that isn't just a dust collector. It's truly our favorite remove, we use it constantly both for games and Netflix. I was prepared for battery issues given all the reviews (and even had a friend on standby to help with surgical repairs like the ones mentioned) but we HAVEN'T needed it. It holds a charge longer than our regular remotes with rechargeable batteries.
on August 19, 2013
I feel stupid for not having looked at the reviews before purchasing, but I feel that if you are selling a wii controller it is reasonable to expect that the item will WORK without looking at reviews. The low ratings are due to a HIGH RATE of defective product.

If you do happen to get a working one, I would say that from the shape I would expect it to work alright for the one hand wiimote position but the sideways 'like a classic nintendo controller' orientation would be quite uncomfortable. I wouldn't hold this against the product if it actually worked.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.