Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Wonder Woman now available on Blu-ray, 3D, and 4K Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 134 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 191 reviews
on September 24, 2016
Really fun and interesting. I felt like I had many similar experiences as the author. I suppose I'll always be "nerdy" as well. It brought me back to "Old School D+D" with my friends; spending entire weekends battling foes, figuring out traps (and how not to get trapped) and searching for gold and magic. But the real gold and magic was there all the time. The game brought us together. We still talk about adventures we had in high school (now, I'm 50 years old). As Mr. Ewalt says, solitary heroes are for movies and books. Real heroes help each other... Great Book! I enjoyed it immensely (better than saving vs. Poison---well, it's right up there, anyway).
on February 17, 2015
Some books are like fast friends. You pick and and have a good relationship from the moment you encounter them. One such book is of Dice and Men by David M. Ewalt. Written by a Dungeon and Dragons player/gamer(Fifteen Level Cleric), he speaks easily to both Role player and non role player alike. It is a fun book that explores Role playing games in general and the Dungeons and Dragon phenomenon specifically. D&D has changed our world, from providing fodder for popular culture subjects to serving as the template for many computer and board games. On his stroll through the history of TSR and it’s most famous product, he presents a world ready for an interactive milieu and the people who made it possible. At times you feel like your peering over Gary Gygax’s shoulder or are seated Dave Arneson’s Blackmoor table. Let Ewalt's delightful book take you on a fun tour of world of Dungeons and Dragons.
Highly Recommended
on June 3, 2014
I grew up during the "Red Box" days of Dungeons and Dragons but never really new the history of the game, beyond knowing the notorious name Gary Gygax. I was looking for a book that would give a detailed history, and that's exactly what I found in this book. The author clearly went to great lengths to tell an accurate story, seeking out the people who were there at the very beginning (sadly without input from the late Gygax himself). From the very early days of tabletop war games up to the present ownership of D & D by Wizards of the Coast, this book is in-depth and informative. And the author's passion about the subject shines through.

I could have done without the author's retelling of one of his own D & D campaigns; the interactivity that makes pen and paper rpg's so much fun don't always translate that well to a single-person narration after the fact. For those interested in immersing themselves in a real-time campaign without being able to play in one, I'd highly recommend the podcast "Critical Hit" which records a group of 6 players while they're playing through a campaign in real-time.
on December 7, 2013
Thank you David for 'Of Dice & Men' Your book was long overdue to be written for both gamers and non-gamers alike. I've been playing D&D since I was 12 years old and now I'm well into my 40's and yes proudly still proudly playing D&D whenever time permits. I feel the analogy comparing D&D and living in the 'real' world where experience points and levels translates is something that makes perfect sense to me and anyone who really embraces the true spirit of the 'game' of life. I really appreciate the level of detail you went into with your research on gaming and spent the time to weave how the relevance of games affects society. I found the back story of Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson intriguing and the evolution of how D&D came into the mainstream a groundbreaking era for games. I really believe this book is a must read not only for any fan of fantasy literature or games but anyone who truly feels they were ever an outsider for not taking part in the 'mainstream sports' games of American culture. Reading your book took me right back when I first played D&D, the the sense of wonder, awe, and inspiration of the imagination.You have eloquently captured the heart and soul of why so many people love this game. Thank you David Ewalt!
on August 11, 2016
I very much enjoyed the author's way of mixing the narrative of his characters into the non-fiction of the origins of D&D. The rise and fall of TSR, the evolution of the game from its war gaming roots, and the passing of the torch to 5e...an interesting read. I further enjoyed the author's journey in rediscovering a childhood joy, and coming to terms with what it means to pursue that joy as an adult.
on September 9, 2014
A great read! Of Dice and Men: The Story of Dungeons & Dragons and the People Who Play It, is a wonderfully immersive look at how tabletop role playing games are enjoyed, along with an interestingly informative history of how tabletop gaming became the tabletop role playing game, Dungeons & Dragons, which inspired an industry of RPG entertainment from Shadowrun, Paranoia, GURPS, to Pathfinder, Call of Cthulhu, World of Darkness, and of course, RPG based video games!

The writing is engaging, with a uniquely fun transition between what it's like to experience a game of Dungeons & Dragons, and the historical and personal experience of the author.

Highly Recommended.
on April 1, 2016
If you were ever wondering about the origin story of D&D this is a great book to explain that. The author goes between his personal experience and the history of the game. It kind of reads like a history book at times, but there are asides and smaller stories here and there so it doesn't become a drudge to read.

I finished it in about a week or so reading it slowly. Overall a great read for any D&D fan.
on April 23, 2016
Very impressed by this thorough account. My first book on the D&D phenomenon so I can't compare it to others, as many have. Could have been much shorter without all the meandering into the random game scenarios. They are a distraction and contribute little to the book. Just skip anything in italics and you'll get a wealth of solidly researched material on Gygax and all who contributed to role playing games.
on September 8, 2013
This was a really well written history of D&D with some florid fantasy fiction interspersed to lighten it up. I give the author kudos for making pilgrimages to the various and important D&D locations; this really lent authenticity to what could have been a rote recital of facts. David overlaid his own geek journey from early fandom to rejection of the game in college in favor of other pursuits; I did feel that the author "doth protest too much" that he was "cool" now; I know the point was to illustrate his hesitant but inexorable journey back into the world of D&D, but we live in a time where now more than ever, it's very socially acceptable to be into geeky pursuits. By the end of the book, he let his geek flag fly, so it's all good!
Highly recommend to any who would like to focus on D&D specifically; would also recommend Playing at the World by Jon Peterson for a broader history. Great work David!
on September 9, 2014
I wasn't into D&D growing up but have been curious about it for a long time. David Ewalt has made it approachable, enticing, and enjoyable to read about. Listening to the author read it I was able to put myself there with him. I've bought my first set of dice!