Workplace Solutions Best of the Year Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Electronics Holiday Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 12DoD - Beauty Gifts for Him hgg16 Get up to $100 back on House Cleaning services pet pet pet  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Shop Outdoor Gift Ideas on Amazon

Showing 1-10 of 433 reviews(verified purchases). Show all reviews
on January 29, 2013
If you were a heavy user of Excel and Outlook be prepared for hours of frustrating web searches for work arounds which usually involve buying or downloading what seems to be an endless stream of apps needed for the most basic of operations.. Despite what Apple tells you this is NOT a duplicate of Office Professional. NO BCM, no Paint, no syncing of calendars with your phone or iPad and forget any CRM Outlook interface. Excel is much slower than Office 2007..hurry up and wait. Highlighting and moving text in Outlook is horrible and takes several attempts. If you want to include a section of an excel sheet in the email body there will be no grid lines or cell outlines. If you want to include an image in the body of your email there is no way to change the size once you paste it into the body of the email. The rec. work around? Open Word , paste , resize ,copy and paste again . Lather* rinse* repeat until you obtain the size you need....great fun and so productive. Or feel free to download an app to take the place of the non-existent Paint and resize there. Do you like delivery receipts or confirmation of delivery of your emails ..won't get them here as that feature was removed. Outlining and Bullets. Well..you get one or the other and only one level plus you cannot adjust the spacing.... horrible. There is no RSS feed in Mac 2011. There is no print preview in Excel but you can save it to a pdf and then preview it..click,click ,click, click. You cannot drag email signatures to contacts for auto fill, nor drag an email to the calendar for entry, forget adding comments or notes to an email...the list sometimes seems endless.
Once you get past the above there are some nice features but I can't recall them offhand.
1919 comments| 134 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 31, 2013
I've been using Office 2011 for about a month now. I am running the latest version of OS 10.8 and I have installed the latest update for Office. Here are my observations:

Word: I reliably lose the ability to copy text and can only correct the problem by restarting Word. In addition, Word 2011 has crashed more in a month than 2008 crashed in 3 years. Combined with the loss of the Formatting Palette, of which I was big fan, I consider Word to be a giant step backwards...nice job Microsoft.

PowerPoint and Excel: No crashing or functionality problems, but I also have not discovered any real advantages over 2008. Perhaps there are some, but I haven't stumbled into them. These are neutral, but I still miss the very functional Formatting Palette.

Outlook: Connecting to Exchange server was easy and it works fine. I have had no issues with my IMAP accounts, and the Calendar works especially well. This is a nice upgrade from Entourage.

Overall: The functionality is at best okay. After two years on the market, though, it's unbelievable that Microsoft can't make Word work reliably, especially on a function as used as Copy. I don't recommend upgrading unless you *really* need Outlook. And since Outlook which doesn't come with the Home Edition, I find no reason to give up functionality AND reliability.
on October 28, 2010
Since getting Outlook 2011 is the reason I purchased Office 2011 for the Mac, I'm writing my review only about that component of the suite. I've spent the day using it, and in general, I'm disappointed. While it does look appealing and runs fast, I think Microsoft has slimmed it down too much from Entourage. For example, there is no "resend" option for messages, a feature that I use a lot so that I don't have to copy & paste e-mail that I want to send out to a few people but not as a blind group. Next, while one can still marginally re-configure the toolbar, it's very limited. For example, I find the delete button is in a very awkward position (for me), but I can't move it. And finally, I miss not seeing any feedback while the program is checking for mail (unless you go to the trouble of checking the progress window). I'll spend more time with Outlook, but at this point, I'm seriously considering going back to Entourage. I've never had this experience before with a Microsoft product for the Mac, and I've been using them since they first started making them.
1717 comments| 103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 16, 2012
Had to get on line help to get Outlook to work. Disappointed that Calendar, etc., won't sync with Google. Like interface, and used to working with this product, but MS makes changes w/o other considerations.
on February 9, 2013
Office is one of those products one buys because one has to. Word has become the industry standard in the publishing industry, so I have to have it. Feature bloat and the fact that the developers seem to move buttons and menu options and change keyboard shortcuts from each version to the next make upgrading a real hassle.

Excel has some great new formatting options that make it easier to use, but converting my old spreadsheets from Office 2004 to 2011 munged much of my conditional formatting. Hassle.

Word is still the best word processor on the planet, but the find command is now seriously messed up. Instead of opening the full-featured Find and Replace dialog box, command-F opens a search field at the top of the window. Getting to the full-feature Replace box requires using option-command-F to open the Find dialog and then clicking the Replace tab. As far as I have been able to discern, there is no way to assign a keyboard shortcut that invokes the replace dialog directly. Hassle

Entourage, which was originally called Outlook, is now called Outlook again. It's still a great mail/calendar/to do app, but it lacks iPad integration. No hassle, I just use other apps instead.

PowerPoint is a bit easier to use than before, once you get past the hassle of all the buttons being in new places.

I like the new Office, but I don't love it.
on December 4, 2010
After researching and reading all the reviews, I decided to go with this poorly reviewed product because of the pst import feature into Outlook 2011.

Amazon states under product features: "Outlook for Mac 2011: Outlook 2011 lets you see your calendar from within your e-mail, read related e-mails in a single thread, import PST files ..."

MS is even more emphatic in how easy it is to import pst files (including email, contacts and calendar).

I purchased the product solely for the supposed ease of transferring Outlook pst. I installed MS Office 2011 and all went fine until I tried to import the pst file - this crashed Outlook and I cannot get Outlook back. MS has suggested all the usual stuff (delete database, re-install MS Office, etc.) and nothing works.

I am enraged that MS can sell a product with a clear lie.

It is incredible that after using my Mac for a week without any problem I started having problems about 5 minutes after I installed MS Office (no problems with Excel or Word, but the sole purpose of this purchase was Outlook and it's import pst function).

********************************

Update 1/21/2011 - Microsoft returned my money and, at the same time as they were processing the refund, they fixed the problem. I therefore have bought the product again; mostly because it now allows me to easily move 9 years of emails into my Mac (warning: emails in the "sent" folder ended up losing the "to" part, but that was only a few so if you file them in another folder then it didn't seem to happen).
on December 6, 2010
Since outlook is the only difference between this more expensive single license "professional" version and the 3-license "home and student" edition, I'll limit my review to Outlook - and it's not favorable.

I was a day-of-release buyer of the pro version because I had felt that apple's mail, calender and address book were lesser versions of the components of outlook for windows, and as an independent contractor (attorney) who VPN's to one client in a windows environment (via my imac), while working with other clients on the mac side, I wanted the uniformity.

I should have known from the painfully slow and poorly executed import of mail to outlook that I was in trouble. Then it took several hours to set up outlook's mail (just a straight import and set-up - nothing to do with the VPN account at all) - and after 30 days I never did get one account to send. The organization of inboxes is remarkably bad - emails are grouped in an inbox for "on my computer" (who knows what this is supposed to mean - for me it meant my yahoo and 4 godaddy accounts were inexplicably combined into one inbox) and an inbox in my case for my mobileme account. You can have several identities (distinct inboxes per email account) - which microsoft has the nerve to fashion as a"feature", but you would have to completely log out of outlook and sign in under the new identity (then log out and log back in under another one) every time.

I'm sure other reviewers will have an extensive list of misses - mine would include (1) cannot import contacts from address book to outlook (2) I missed vonage callback, and (3) iphoto email share does not work with outlook.

Beyond these annoyances, I started experiencing problems about a week or 2 into using outlook. Some microsoft database was corrupted (according to a warning I received) and was rebuilt with a few clicks. Around this time I got a few "unexpectedly quit" problems and maybe a freeze or 2. Then the total breakdown the day before thanksgiving - corrupted database that could not be rebuilt. I spent a day or two trying to recover databases, did a full removal/reinstall of office, restores from time machine backups, etc. - and, ultimately lost 30 days worth of emails and way too much of my time.

Word and Excel are great - I'll just be careful not to open outlook.
on June 10, 2011
UPDATE: If you have been a user of the PC version of Microsoft Office Products, then I highly recommend that you try the trial version of this product before you make a horrible mistake! Once you convert your PST file from the PC version to the Mac version, there is no way to convert the file (OLM) back to the PC version (PST) file! Hopefully, Microsoft will come with a tool that does this; which they likely will because of the all the customers that will be very, very unhappy with the Mac version, which is very, very lacking! No automatic archive, email HTML editing will take you back to the 90's, no "undo" button if you are composing in a window away from the main program, and does no longer sync with MobileMe--nor is it likely to do so anytime in the near future. So now my iPhone is not up-to-date. I am very, very unhappy with Office 2011 for Mac!!

I admit it, I am a power user of Microsoft Office products, having used them since the first version. And I realize that the Mac versions have always been behind at least a couple of generations from the PC versions. However, the Outlook 2011 for Mac has only about 2/3s of the features of the PC version. I use a MacBook Pro running Parallels desktop with both Windows 7 Ultimate and Snow Leopard, so I can go either way. After I saw the new version of 2011 Office for Mac FINALLY included Outlook, I bought it and now, after struggling with it for almost a month, I wish I had never wasted my money on it! It appears that Microsoft just gave Outlook 2011 the bare, rudimentary features--just enough that they could give it the name; however they should have named it Outlook 2003 for Mac, as that is almost what it is comparable to in the PC version.

If you have the option, you are much better off to use almost any Windows version of Office and avoid the Mac version. If it is not an option, Outlook 2011 for Mac is a better option than the one included with on your Mac; however that is kind of like voting and picking the lesser evil for a political candidate! If you are a sophisticated user, get Parallels and Windows on your Mac and go for Office 2010 and save yourself a lot of frustration! The expression "ignorance is bliss" applies here, if you have never used the PC versions of Office, you won't miss the additional features missing from Office 2011 for Mac.

Let me elaborate a little: no undo button on the Mac version, the composing features (especially in HTML mode) are extremely lacking and spam? Prepare to be flooded with spam as there are no viable spam filters available! If you want to be productive in an high productive office environment, use one of the PC versions of Microsoft Office, even Office 2007 is much, much better than Office 2011 for Mac!
on April 8, 2011
I purchased Office for Mac recently to use on my MacBook Pro. After three months, my experiences have been nothing short of disastrous!

I have been using Outlook as my default email software. Twice in six weeks Outlook has suddenly and inexplicably shut down and refused to re-open. As a result, I have literally lost access to months of emails, all my contacts, tasks, calendar etc. I need to refer to for my business and my personal accounting etc. Each time, I have also had to spend almost a day reconstituting a new email filing system trying rescue a few crucial past emails.

When I purchased Office for Mac Home and Business 2011 in theory it came with one year's technical support included. However, in practice, Microsoft has not been available to provide any customer support. So I have had to deal with this software disaster on my own. The first time, they could recommend no effective way of reopening my stubbornly forever closed Outlook program. They merely helped me to open a new one - leaving me with the messy problem of reconstituting my files. The second time, Microsoft actually asked me to pay them in advance before they would give me any customer support! I refused and decided to drop Outlook completely. Instead, I purchased Bento 4 to use with Apple's Mail email software instead.

I strongly advise anyone thinking of buying Office for Mac to think again. This is one of the shoddiest products Microsoft has ever produced. It is also a pity that Microsoft has not learned from Apple about customer support. I am sure that Applecare would have helped me fix this problem had it been with an Apple product.

Buyer Beware!

April 16 2011 Update of my earlier review :
I have just spent half an hour trying to use Excel spreadsheet on Office for Mac 2011. Every ten minutes or so, Excel suddenly closes down without warning and I lose all the data I have inputed. I am going to keep going because, for now, i have no choice. But I plan to seek out another non-Microsoft spreadsheet program that works on a Mac very soon.
All in all, my growing experience with Office for Mac is getting worse and worse. This is the absolutely worst software program I have every used in over 25 years of working with computers!! If I could I would give it zero stars!

Excel just crashed four more times - wiping out my data each time! So, I just ordered iWork on Amazon Prime. Hopefully I can migrate fully away from this awful Microsoft software very soon now!
on February 12, 2012
I am getting better at purchasing digital downloadable software. I experienced no delays or problems. It only took a few minutes using my high speed internet connection. I also have the assurance that my software in in my digital library should I ever need to download it again.
I am one of those people that is used to Microsoft Office and have had a difficult time moving to the iWork package. There are things I like and dislike about both programs, however, I prefer the Office product over iWork.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.