Amazon Business Books with Buzz STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty March Birthstone Book House Cleaning GimmeDanger GimmeDanger GimmeDanger  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Elton John Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Showing 1-10 of 435 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 515 reviews
on January 29, 2013
If you were a heavy user of Excel and Outlook be prepared for hours of frustrating web searches for work arounds which usually involve buying or downloading what seems to be an endless stream of apps needed for the most basic of operations.. Despite what Apple tells you this is NOT a duplicate of Office Professional. NO BCM, no Paint, no syncing of calendars with your phone or iPad and forget any CRM Outlook interface. Excel is much slower than Office 2007..hurry up and wait. Highlighting and moving text in Outlook is horrible and takes several attempts. If you want to include a section of an excel sheet in the email body there will be no grid lines or cell outlines. If you want to include an image in the body of your email there is no way to change the size once you paste it into the body of the email. The rec. work around? Open Word , paste , resize ,copy and paste again . Lather* rinse* repeat until you obtain the size you need....great fun and so productive. Or feel free to download an app to take the place of the non-existent Paint and resize there. Do you like delivery receipts or confirmation of delivery of your emails ..won't get them here as that feature was removed. Outlining and Bullets. Well..you get one or the other and only one level plus you cannot adjust the spacing.... horrible. There is no RSS feed in Mac 2011. There is no print preview in Excel but you can save it to a pdf and then preview it..click,click ,click, click. You cannot drag email signatures to contacts for auto fill, nor drag an email to the calendar for entry, forget adding comments or notes to an email...the list sometimes seems endless.
Once you get past the above there are some nice features but I can't recall them offhand.
1919 comments| 134 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 20, 2013
I find Office for Mac very helpful for what I need, both for personal and business use. I mostly use Word, Excel and Outlook. I was reluctant to buy this product for a long time because I felt like having a Mac computer with Microsoft software would defeat the purpose of an Apple product. So I used free software to open and work on Word and Excel files, but it was not nearly as useful, and had some issues with characters compatibility (for example, I would use bullet points, and Word would convert them into bullet points that made my work look sloppy, and it was just unacceptable to not know how the recipient would see my documents).

Office for Mac 2011 includes Word, Excel, Outlook, Power Point and Messenger (that I have never opened). If you like templates, Excel includes probably over 20 templates to choose from, and Word must have hundreds. The design, look and feel are not like what you see on a PC. It is Apple-like, of course, but you can use it the same way.

All in all, I am happy I ended up making this purchase because I don't have to worry about compatibility and how other software would change characters, format, etc. It has worked just fine until now. It meets my needs, and the download was pretty easy, too.

Hope this helps!
on May 31, 2013
I've been using Office 2011 for about a month now. I am running the latest version of OS 10.8 and I have installed the latest update for Office. Here are my observations:

Word: I reliably lose the ability to copy text and can only correct the problem by restarting Word. In addition, Word 2011 has crashed more in a month than 2008 crashed in 3 years. Combined with the loss of the Formatting Palette, of which I was big fan, I consider Word to be a giant step backwards...nice job Microsoft.

PowerPoint and Excel: No crashing or functionality problems, but I also have not discovered any real advantages over 2008. Perhaps there are some, but I haven't stumbled into them. These are neutral, but I still miss the very functional Formatting Palette.

Outlook: Connecting to Exchange server was easy and it works fine. I have had no issues with my IMAP accounts, and the Calendar works especially well. This is a nice upgrade from Entourage.

Overall: The functionality is at best okay. After two years on the market, though, it's unbelievable that Microsoft can't make Word work reliably, especially on a function as used as Copy. I don't recommend upgrading unless you *really* need Outlook. And since Outlook which doesn't come with the Home Edition, I find no reason to give up functionality AND reliability.
on March 7, 2017
Just as expected.
on February 18, 2013
All the great features and functionality are there for Macs! Feels like a windows experience so old users are not in unfamiliar territory.
on October 28, 2010
Since getting Outlook 2011 is the reason I purchased Office 2011 for the Mac, I'm writing my review only about that component of the suite. I've spent the day using it, and in general, I'm disappointed. While it does look appealing and runs fast, I think Microsoft has slimmed it down too much from Entourage. For example, there is no "resend" option for messages, a feature that I use a lot so that I don't have to copy & paste e-mail that I want to send out to a few people but not as a blind group. Next, while one can still marginally re-configure the toolbar, it's very limited. For example, I find the delete button is in a very awkward position (for me), but I can't move it. And finally, I miss not seeing any feedback while the program is checking for mail (unless you go to the trouble of checking the progress window). I'll spend more time with Outlook, but at this point, I'm seriously considering going back to Entourage. I've never had this experience before with a Microsoft product for the Mac, and I've been using them since they first started making them.
1717 comments| 103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 16, 2012
Had to get on line help to get Outlook to work. Disappointed that Calendar, etc., won't sync with Google. Like interface, and used to working with this product, but MS makes changes w/o other considerations.
on February 9, 2013
Office is one of those products one buys because one has to. Word has become the industry standard in the publishing industry, so I have to have it. Feature bloat and the fact that the developers seem to move buttons and menu options and change keyboard shortcuts from each version to the next make upgrading a real hassle.

Excel has some great new formatting options that make it easier to use, but converting my old spreadsheets from Office 2004 to 2011 munged much of my conditional formatting. Hassle.

Word is still the best word processor on the planet, but the find command is now seriously messed up. Instead of opening the full-featured Find and Replace dialog box, command-F opens a search field at the top of the window. Getting to the full-feature Replace box requires using option-command-F to open the Find dialog and then clicking the Replace tab. As far as I have been able to discern, there is no way to assign a keyboard shortcut that invokes the replace dialog directly. Hassle

Entourage, which was originally called Outlook, is now called Outlook again. It's still a great mail/calendar/to do app, but it lacks iPad integration. No hassle, I just use other apps instead.

PowerPoint is a bit easier to use than before, once you get past the hassle of all the buttons being in new places.

I like the new Office, but I don't love it.
on December 4, 2010
After researching and reading all the reviews, I decided to go with this poorly reviewed product because of the pst import feature into Outlook 2011.

Amazon states under product features: "Outlook for Mac 2011: Outlook 2011 lets you see your calendar from within your e-mail, read related e-mails in a single thread, import PST files ..."

MS is even more emphatic in how easy it is to import pst files (including email, contacts and calendar).

I purchased the product solely for the supposed ease of transferring Outlook pst. I installed MS Office 2011 and all went fine until I tried to import the pst file - this crashed Outlook and I cannot get Outlook back. MS has suggested all the usual stuff (delete database, re-install MS Office, etc.) and nothing works.

I am enraged that MS can sell a product with a clear lie.

It is incredible that after using my Mac for a week without any problem I started having problems about 5 minutes after I installed MS Office (no problems with Excel or Word, but the sole purpose of this purchase was Outlook and it's import pst function).

********************************

Update 1/21/2011 - Microsoft returned my money and, at the same time as they were processing the refund, they fixed the problem. I therefore have bought the product again; mostly because it now allows me to easily move 9 years of emails into my Mac (warning: emails in the "sent" folder ended up losing the "to" part, but that was only a few so if you file them in another folder then it didn't seem to happen).
on December 6, 2010
Since outlook is the only difference between this more expensive single license "professional" version and the 3-license "home and student" edition, I'll limit my review to Outlook - and it's not favorable.

I was a day-of-release buyer of the pro version because I had felt that apple's mail, calender and address book were lesser versions of the components of outlook for windows, and as an independent contractor (attorney) who VPN's to one client in a windows environment (via my imac), while working with other clients on the mac side, I wanted the uniformity.

I should have known from the painfully slow and poorly executed import of mail to outlook that I was in trouble. Then it took several hours to set up outlook's mail (just a straight import and set-up - nothing to do with the VPN account at all) - and after 30 days I never did get one account to send. The organization of inboxes is remarkably bad - emails are grouped in an inbox for "on my computer" (who knows what this is supposed to mean - for me it meant my yahoo and 4 godaddy accounts were inexplicably combined into one inbox) and an inbox in my case for my mobileme account. You can have several identities (distinct inboxes per email account) - which microsoft has the nerve to fashion as a"feature", but you would have to completely log out of outlook and sign in under the new identity (then log out and log back in under another one) every time.

I'm sure other reviewers will have an extensive list of misses - mine would include (1) cannot import contacts from address book to outlook (2) I missed vonage callback, and (3) iphoto email share does not work with outlook.

Beyond these annoyances, I started experiencing problems about a week or 2 into using outlook. Some microsoft database was corrupted (according to a warning I received) and was rebuilt with a few clicks. Around this time I got a few "unexpectedly quit" problems and maybe a freeze or 2. Then the total breakdown the day before thanksgiving - corrupted database that could not be rebuilt. I spent a day or two trying to recover databases, did a full removal/reinstall of office, restores from time machine backups, etc. - and, ultimately lost 30 days worth of emails and way too much of my time.

Word and Excel are great - I'll just be careful not to open outlook.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.