Your Garage World Book Day STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts Book House Cleaning Bosch Bosch Bosch  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 642 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 738 reviews
on November 3, 2010
I like the interface, a combination of the Window's ribon I hate, but have learned to deal with and the menus I know so well. I like the ribbon on this version more than the floating tool bars in Excel 2004. This is the good.

However within moments of first opening Excel 2011 I went to see if the most annoying bug from Excel 2004 had been fixed. When you try editing a formula in a conditional format in Excel 2004, you cannot use the cursor keys for editing. All cursor keys do is to add cell references. My work around is to have a text editor handy so I can copy the formula, edit in the text editor, and past back into Excel. One would think that after 8 years, Microsoft would have had lots of opportunity to fix this. Not so. Same bug.

I need to keep an Excel 2003 for Windows format for most clients, so I set the default file format to be Excel 97-2004. I also tend to use a lot of conditional formats. But when I saved a file with those same conditional formats I created in Excel 2004 (that is I didn't add any new conditions), Excel 2011 added sheet references in the format formulas, which is not recognized by older versions. When I enabled strict backward compatibility, Excel removed those references, but changed every cell reference to the first row. I spent 2 hours fixing this in the 2004 version of Excel.

Try copying an existing worksheet to a new worksheet. Works just fine. Well, unless you have a filter in that existing worksheet, and you highlight the whole (filtered) worksheet, then copy and try pasting into a new worksheet. Excell 2011 appears to freeze, until it finally tells you it ran out of memory.

I have some fairly large worksheet with conditional formats which use formulas. No where near the limit of Excel 2004's capability, but enough that it slows a recalculation down to about one second. That same spreadsheet takes Excel 2011 nearly a minute to recalculate. Funny when Excel 2004 is running in a virtual machine emulating a PowerPC, and Excel 2011 is running in native Intel mode.

I can't speak to the other applications in the suite, I tend to use iWork for editing and presentation, but I live in Excel, and I've had to remove Excel 2011 in order to be able to get anything done.

Excel Mac for 2011 still seems to be missing some of the events in the Windows version, like Worksheet_FollowHyperlink(). Either that, or macros are really flaky, haven't really tested that aspect just yet.

I've seen Alpha software which was more reliable. I can't believe Microsoft actually released this version. Apparently they don't have any power users in their test cadre.

If Microsoft gets their act together and fixes these defects, it might be a decent upgrade. But if you do anything more than the basics (which Apple Numbers does just fine), stick to the 2004 version. Amazon still sells it.
55 comments| 160 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 28, 2010
I just purchased this as an upgrade to MS Office 2004. First thing I did was to open a spreadsheet from Excel 2004. It gave me an error of "File error: data may have been lost.", which it does every time I open up this file. I'm not sure yet why it is having this problem.

So, then I proceeded to create my very first new spreadsheet with Excel 2011. I've locked up Excel twice so far--my first hour of use and it has already crashed two times!

I have, btw, a brand new 27" iMac with the latest Snow Leopard on it--this is as good as it gets for an OS and machine platform to run it on.

I've also noticed it getting confused several times and garbling text elements on charts when I do something to the data format elsewhere on the chart. Even if it did work, the UI is convoluted and confusing. I could probably get used to it in time, but there's nothing elegant about how they've constructed their UI.

There are also some obvious bugs that (as a software developer myself) I am amazed could make it into a released version of software. When you enter a label for a data series on a chart, for instance, Excel automatically adds double quotes around it the next time you edit it. If you then edit the contents inside the double quotes again, Excel will add an additional pair of double quotes around the first pair that it added, and then proceed to display your chart with visible quotes around all of the values! This is the sort of bug that should have been found during unit testing by whatever developer was writing that feature. If one of my software developers were to miss something like that, I'd be annoyed--and if my system test team missed something like that for a release, I'd want to assemble a new team.

I had much higher hopes for this--thinking that it at least shouldn't be nearly as buggy as older versions. Yet so far, it's far less stable than Excel 2004 (I haven't tested Word and PP yet). It's just not a quality piece of software.
3030 comments| 247 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon November 16, 2013
The deal is good. I tried and couldn't think of one negative or better alternative. I like these Office products listed even though I hope to never have to buy any Microsoft operating system again.
VINE VOICEon November 16, 2013
So I guess we're mac people now. No complaints or surprises here. Does what you want it to, easily, simply. Thanks, Jobs. RIP.
on June 5, 2012
Downloading this item was simple and easy. I recommend the download instead of using a disk. The software is intuitive and works well.
on January 12, 2011
My son who owns a mac Apple pronotebook woundn't use anything else! He loves the mac operating System but is in love with the Mac For Windows.
on May 18, 2012
Nothing phenomenal, just as functionable as microsoft office for windows 7. It meets expectations but does not blow my socks off.
on December 27, 2012
I love this software with all of my heart. It is good and has lots of good stuff in it for the children and the people to use. Yay for software.
on April 12, 2017
Crashed after two years
on July 22, 2011
Just upgraded to Mac OS X Lion, and this software DOES work flawlessly with the new OS. I had read that others have had problems, but we have intel iMacs and Mac Minis in our offices and it works great on all of them.

We were using the windows version of office 2010 with parallells on our Macs, but the dedicated Mac version of Office is much more user friendly and elegant.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.