- Series: Official Guide to the Gre
- Paperback: 608 pages
- Publisher: McGraw-Hill Education; 3 edition (December 29, 2016)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1259862410
- ISBN-13: 978-1259862410
- Product Dimensions: 9.4 x 1.4 x 9.9 inches
- Shipping Weight: 2.7 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 54 customer reviews
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #1,971 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
The Official Guide to the GRE General Test 3rd Edition
Use the Amazon App to scan ISBNs and compare prices.
Garth Brooks: The Anthology Part 1 | Limited Edition
A great gift for country music fans, The Anthology Part 1 includes CDs containing the music of Garth's first five years, and behind-the-scenes photographs and stories never before made public. Learn more
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
From the Publisher
About the Author
Educational Testing Service (ETS) is a private, nonprofit organization devoted to educational measurement and research, primarily through testing. Founded as a nonprofit in 1947, ETS develops, administers, and scores more than 50 million tests annually―including the TOEFL® and TOEIC™ tests, the GRE® tests, and The Praxis Series™ assessments―in more than 180 countries, at more than 9,000 locations worldwide.
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
When studying for the GRE, one must remember that all non-official sources of GRE practice questions and tests are simply lesser imitations of the real thing. Although third-party strategy books and practice drills are often necessary to supplement your studies, nothing beats the Official Guide when it comes to realism, especially for verbal questions.
The Official Guide to the GRE, 3rd Edition is barely revised from the 2nd edition. 4 out of the first 7 chapters are exactly the same, as are the 2 (paper) practice tests included in the book. It includes 296 real GRE questions, and 57 additional math exercises.
Chapter 1: About the GRE General Test (same as the 2nd edition)
Chapter 2: GRE Analytical Writing (same)
Chapter 3: GRE Verbal Reasoning (same)
Chapter 4: GRE Quantitative Reasoning (same)
Chapter 5: GRE Quantitative Reasoning (5 extra pages)
Chapter 6: GRE Quantitative Reasoning Practice Questions (5 extra pages)
Chapter 7: GRE Math Review (12 extra pages)
Chapter 8: GRE Practice Test 1 (same)
Chapter 9: GRE Practice Test 2 (same)
It is also important to note that the book itself only includes 2 (not 4!) GRE paper tests. The other 2 GREs are the CATs (Computer Adaptive Tests) that can be accessed by downloading the free GRE PowerPrep Software from the ETS website.
Yes, it would have been nice to include some new tests in here, but as other reviewers have noted, that’s unfortunately not the case. This book is nearly identical to the previous (2nd) edition, and no longer includes a CD (not that the CD adds much, since the PowerPrep software has always been free to download online for anyone with internet access).
I understand that many of us in the test-prep industry (including myself) are flummoxed by the fact that ETS has declined to release any new practice tests in this 3rd edition of the Official Guide--it would have been nice to have more real GRE practice tests to give our most diligent students. However, 99% of people who are searching for a GRE prep book on Amazon have never taken the test before, so it doesn’t really matter that these tests aren’t new--if they’re new to you as a potential grad student studying for the tests, then for all intents and purposes, they should work just fine. That is, until you run out of official GRE practice tests, at which point you should start looking for other resources.
Here are my top recommendations for GRE Prep Materials:
1) The free PowerPrep software from ETS, which includes 2 full CATs, a Test Preview Tool, an untimed practice test (same as Test #1), and Extended Time options.
2) The Official Guide to the GRE, 3rd edition (you are here): The Official Guide to the GRE General Test, Third Edition
3) The GRE Super Power Pack, 2nd edition: Official GRE Super Power Pack 2/E (Test Prep)
4) Manhattan Prep Strategy Guides: Manhattan Prep GRE Set of 8 Strategy Guides (Manhattan Prep GRE Strategy Guides)
5) Manhattan Prep 5-Lb Book of GRE Practice Questions: 5 lb. Book of GRE Practice Problems (Manhattan Prep GRE Strategy Guides)
6) Magoosh: GRE Prep by Magoosh
7) Barron's: Barron's GRE, 22nd Edition
8) McGraw-Hill: McGraw-Hill Education Preparation for the GRE Test 2017 3rd Edition
9) Cliff's Notes: CliffsNotes Math Review for Standardized Tests 3rd Edition
10) GRE Vocab Capacity (disclaimer: co-authored by me) GRE Vocab Capacity: 2017 Edition - Over 1300 Powerful Memory Tricks and Mnemonics
PLEASE NOTE: Even though Kaplan-published books are always among the top-rated and top-selling GRE books on Amazon, I personally find them to be of very low quality, and their online reviews to be highly suspect.
For more information, you can google “GRE Action Plan”. Good luck!
One criticism: I think it's kinda disingenuous for the book to tout "4 real practice tests" when two of those are just the ones you get for free on the GRE website regardless of your purchase of this book. The other two are paper tests. So read the fine print, basically, and keep in mind that this book does not give you access to any more digital tests.