Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 63 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 76 reviews
on June 4, 2012
After a decade in the wine industry, I grew pretty comfortable using a waiter's corkscrew. I bought this thinking it would be easier for my wife to use.

The pros: 1. The screw is sharp and glides easily through corks, even synthetic corks. 2. The lever provides enough leverage to easily push the screw through the cork, with minimally more effort to extract the cork.

The cons: 1. It's kind of hit-or-miss lining up the unit over the cork; most of my attempts ended up running the screw through the cork off-center. 2. It can sometimes be difficult to grip the unit while extracting a tight cork.

And the biggest negative - it broke. There is a plastic sleeve in the mechanism that snapped, rendering the unit useless. It's nice that a spare screw was packed with the unit, but I never got to use it.
on December 10, 2012
Quality issues torpedo a fine product.

I purchased an Oggi Nautilus lever corkscrew after a glowing recommendation on America's Test Kitchen. The first unit had a crack in the plastic housing, the replacement from Amazon worked fine 4 times and then a rod pulled out of the top block that resulted in total failure. I returned the second unit to Amazon for refund.

I purchased a Speed-Pull Decorker locally at World Market. It is lighter than the Oggi but is a similar lever corkscrew design, and has several nice features that the Oggi lacks. The handle has a detent in the top position so it stays up when putting the unit on the bottle. The handle has a nice rubber coating and is very comfortable. The Speed-Pull lifts the cork about 2 1/2 inches, whereas the Oggi lifted the cork about 2 inches. The Speed-Pull has a built in foil cutter that is very convenient.

The Oggi works very well if you get one that isn't defective or one that doesn't fail. The comments from other users show that the production problems are not an isolated event. The Oggi deserves a five star rating when it is not defective, but unfortunately the problems cause it to be unsatisfactory.
on July 8, 2014
I was quite impressed with the quality at first, It feels and looks very solid! unfortunately there is a weak spot in a form of black plastic sleeve that fells out. My opener lasted maybe 12-16 bottles. the sleeve broke loose on a plastic cork but I'm sure a bottle opener should be able to handle plastic corks too. I kept trying to force the sleeve in but it just came out on a first attempt to open a bottle. The only way to fix this is to mount it in a vice upside down (the finish will get damaged a bit from the vice) rough up the surface where the sleeve was with a round file, use JB-WELD or other epoxy and drive the sleeve back in there using a upside down screw driver (handle pushing the sleeve, bit sticking up) and hammer it in. If it brakes again it will be expedited to garbage immediately.

The moral of this story:

the epoxy curing time is 24 hours and if you don't have epoxy at home and local stores are already closed your life will be In danger, humans can only survive 48 hours without drinking - don't you be trusting this opener - be redundant and have backup!
Cheers!
on June 4, 2013
I ordered this because Cooks Illustrated rated it as their top corkscrew. When I was about to order, I noticed several reviews stating how quickly it broke. I should have listened to those reviews!

Mine uncorked exactly 5 bottles of wine before it broke. We used it for 1 bottle of wine each for 2 dinners. Then I was making Sangria, and had 6 bottles of wine to open. On the 4th one, a cheap plastic piece snapped and it would no longer retrieve the cork. It just hammered it down into the bottle, spraying wine all over me. The worm fell out and I realized that it was permanently broken. Do not buy this!

By the way, I revisited the Cooks Illustrated site, and they had a note on their review stating that so many people had reported it breaking (which they reproduced in testing) that they have removed their recommendation.
on January 31, 2013
We previously owned a Pomerantz opener which looked exactly like this one. It works perfectly for at least 10 years, opening 3-4 bottles of wine per week. Then ordered this Oggi, and the first one didn't work since the screw wouldn't seat straight in cork. Tried the extra screw, same problem. The manufacturer sent us another which worked much better for about a week. Then the cheap plastic plug fell out, and wouldn't stay in even after we tried to reinstall it. So frustrating! I had to send it back at my cost for 12 dollars, when the purchase price was only 30 dollars to begin with. Although I appreciate that the manufacturer sent a second one free, It wasn't a good deal for me, made much too cheaply I guess.
on December 11, 2013
I purchased one of the original ones and was extremely pleased. When that one was left behind on vacation, I purchased the Oggi 3-piece t replace it. This one never worked as well as the original (pushing corks into the bottle and failing to go deep enough into the cork) and eventually the nylon wire guide (causes the screw portion to penetrate the cork) pushed out of the metal housing and the unit was useless. It lasted for a year and is now in the landfill. A classic case of reducing product cost by degrading performance and durability.

Save your money.
on December 4, 2012
This thing is great. It makes holding the bottle easy, the screw is sharp and strong, the foil cutter is nice and heavy and sharp. The best part is that it will automatically remove the cork from itself. Just open the bottle, close the screw and open it again and the cork comes right off!
on April 20, 2013
Bought one on the advice of America's Test Kitchen folks who generally give excellent guidance. First one broke on it's third use. The plastic sleeve through which the worm travels came out and the cork went down into the bottle. Ordered another and it broke in the first week. Same problem. The plastic part the causes the worm to thread into the cord came loose and rendered the opener useless. When the opener works, it is indeed a great device. But, there must have been a bad production run as this problem appears in many of the reviews on Amazon. Avoid or hope for one that doesn't fail.
on November 13, 2014
This does not have enough "throw" to pull most corks. It needs about 1/4 inch more throw. You almost always end up having to grasp the unit to try and pull the cork the rest of the way out and the handle then comes down and whacks your hand hard.

Shame on Cooks Illustrated for giving this an excellent rating. It makes me wonder if Cooks Illustrated isn't getting paid to give good reviews.

Look elsewhere.
on August 30, 2012
Saw the review on ATK and bought it after my Screwpull died following about 10 years of good service.

I really liked it at first. The good design even on the foil cutter.

But first the foil cutter broke when a cutting wheel fell of it in just the first 3 weeks. I thought that was a shame but not tragic.

Then the plastic part that holds the worm broke on the wine opener in the first month rendering the entire opener useless.

Would be a great opener but everything broke within a month.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.