|Print List Price:||$27.50|
Save $13.51 (49%)
Random House LLC
Price set by seller.
Ogilvy on Advertising Kindle Edition
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
"It is fashionable to talk about changing man. A communicator must be concerned with unchanging man ... The creative man with an insight into human nature, with the artistry to touch and move people will succeed. Without them he will fail."
Ogilvy had insight in spades, practical experience, common sense, a passion for research as well as creativity, and above all, a relentless focus on selling. Pick any few paragraphs at random and all those qualities will shine through. Among the many ideas I found really helpful--
1. Branding means giving your product personality. (For example, the man in the Hathaway shirt wore an eyepatch.)
2. Facts sell better than hype.
3. The principles of direct response apply to all forms of advertising.
4. Creativity is worthless unless it sells.
5. Copywriting is the heart of advertising.
6. Use the brand name in your headline. Otherwise 80% of readers may never see it.
7. Long copy sells.
8. Analogies, big words, and naming the competitor confuse people.
9. Pricing cannot be determined scientifically.
10. Excellent graphic design is simple graphic design.
11. Corporate advertising is worthwhile.
12. Always include a promise in your headline.
13. The era of the blockbuster brand is ending. (Ogivly detected the "Long Tail" 20 years before most of us!)
14. According to Ogivly, "...advertising is no more and no less than a reasonably efficient way to sell."
But this summary doesn't do the book justice. He makes solid points nonstop. Not surprising for a master copywriter and former door-to-door salesman, he writes in plain English. He offers "big picture" reflections on the advertising industry, including an impassioned defense of advertising against charges of hucksterism. He offers detailed tips that are just as important, mainly on print advertising, direct response, and dealing with clients.
Educational, authoritative, fun to read. A+
Most recent customer reviews
...Odd layout. Large margins with all text hugging the center. Makes it hard to read at times.
Set up an Amazon Giveaway
Customers who viewed this item also viewed
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Arts & Photography > Graphic Design > Commercial > Advertising
- Books > Business & Money > Education & Reference
- Books > Business & Money > Marketing & Sales > Advertising
- Books > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Communication & Media Studies
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Arts & Photography > Graphic Design > Commercial > Advertising
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Business & Money > Marketing & Sales > Advertising
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Politics & Social Sciences > Social Sciences > Media Studies