Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Oil and Gas Law in a Nutshell
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports

on January 27, 2002
The third edition of this book was very helpful, and also included more recent case law cites than the second edition. I would assume this it true with the fourth as well (and there have been quite a few post 1995 court cases affecting royalty payments among other things). John Lowe is a well-respected professor of oil and gas law and has written many papers as well as several books on the subject.I find his writing style easy to understand, even for a layman like myself.I also found it to be much more than a "nutshell" approach in that the explanations of complicated ideas are fairly complete in most cases. He even touches on the structure and content of oil and gas sales contracts near the end of the book, which I found helpful as well.
on July 27, 2009
I am an oil and gas landman who does a lot of title and "HBP" work in the midcontinent area. This book is an invaluable reference for landmen working in this area or for someone who owns mineral rights. However, it is a primer. For a more in depth treatise on the subject I recommend Cases and Materials on Oil and Gas Law, 4th Ed. by John S. Lowe, et al. as it is much more in depth.
on February 27, 2006
I bought this book because I have to be involved in oil and gas transaction. It is very useful to cover basic cases and theories on this business area. However, because this book presumes that they understand the basic concepts of contract laws and realty laws, the readers are required to know 101 of, say, what is the reminder or what is the fee simple absolute etc. If you are not educated in the country which takes case law system, before reading it, it would be better to skim through the outline of contracts/realty law.
on January 4, 2009
This is a must read for law students about to take an oil & gas final or for preparing for the Texas bar exam. The book assumes that you understand property interests and other basic property law concepts. I still have my book from law school in case I am confronted with an oil & gas issue in practice.
on January 27, 2015
This was an old-standby in law school, and is still helpful today when handling something new or something slightly forgotten. The entire Nutshell series is generally very reliable for general legal concepts, and this particular edition is no exception. Just as important, the Oil and Gas entry into the Nutshell series contains some outstanding practical information that really puts the legal issues into context. While this is not an exhaustive work, and certainly is no substitute for real legal research or bona fide legal advice, this book has consistently been a really, really good starting point.
on February 23, 2014
The coverage is exceptional in this text. My only complaint is that it was difficult to follow at times, and I had to read several passages more than once. That is just a preference though. The book is an a absolutely wonderful source for oil and gas case law.
on May 19, 2011
The book was in good condition and arrived ahead of schedule. It covered the points I was looking for pertaining to the "Open Mines Doctrine", particularly as it applies in Louisiana. It also pointed out the differences between common law and civil law in Louisiana concerning several other issues I was interested in.
on July 7, 2011
I was very pleased with the timely arrival of this Oil and Gas Law supplement. I've discovered I'm not a very big fan of Oil and Gas Law over the course of this summer semester; however, the supplement came in mint condition and has been very helpful breaking down those mind-numbing particulars. So, thanks Amazon! You win again!
on September 10, 2014
Excellent resource for the amateur seeking to absorb as much as possible in the oil & gas industry, particularly for the layman mineral owner. I keep a version at my home and another at my office
on June 28, 2008
Suprisingly good for a generalalized coverage. I wish that there was one for specific states.