Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 112 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 145 reviews
on December 6, 2014
LOVE this game! Great artistic style - makes for a very unique game, both visually and dynamically. The concept behind the game play style is what really made me want to try this game out; in order to preform a special type of move you have to draw a symbol on to the screen, like you're drawing a calligraphy brush stroke into the world of the game. The characters are cute (you get to play as a puppy with divine powers :) and the plot makes the game last a WHILE. I'd have to say this is a great game for kids because the story involves themes related to trust, teamwork, and friendship.

Be aware that it is the second game in the series. The first game (Ōkami) is playable on PlayStation 2, Wii, and PlayStation 3. I would recommend playing the first game before this one (I'm just a sucker for playing games in chronological order though ;) so you understand the game play dynamics better and the story makes more sense - but you CAN play this game without playing the first game because it comes with flashbacks and explanations about the first part of the story when needed.
on March 20, 2016
I love this game so much, I played the first Okami on my ps2 and then found out there was a part two. The game is so cute and beautiful to, so very happy that they made a follow up story. I think the game play is a little shorter though, I been playing for two days and I am almost at the end of the game but it is a game I would play all over again. So happy with this game :)
on August 4, 2014
Perhaps the best music on the ds. Graphics suffer because they either had to be simplified for the ds or are still so complex that the game lags. Relatively fun, but I had to wait a year before playing it to really enjoy it. Playing a 100% run makes the game a lot more fulfilling than just playing it through though. Usually, that might not be the case because collecting achievements may feel tedious, but in this case, it enhances the backstory. Having partners makes the experience all the more enjoyable as those characters develop. And don't be deceived by how cute and juvenile this game may seem, it still has quite a heartrending story.
Okamiden pales in comparison to Okami, but is still very much a cute and funny game to follow up the classic.
on July 25, 2011
I have played Okami port for the Wii and I loved it. That's probably the most important reason for why I bought Okamiden.

But don't worry! Although the game is an indirect sequel to Okami, it provides enough info of the previous game so that newcomers can enjoy themselves in this game, but only people who play both games may truly understand all the details of the game's plot.

I haven't finished the game yet, but I've played so far 12h on it and I'd say I would need more 4h to finish it. I like to collect every single thing in this type of games, therefore, if you storm the game, you'd likely spend less time to finish it.

Just like the previous game, the game interface is centered on the use of the Celestial Brush, a skill that you, as Chibiterasu (son of Okami's main character Amaterasu), will learn to master as the game progresses, by acquiring more and more skills: from guiding your partner to directing thunder as you please.

One huge difference between the two games is that, while on both you always have a partner, in Okami, your partner was pretty useless (besides reading the road signs, commenting on key locations and making funny comments), in Okamiden, you cycle through a pool of different partners (which you will learn to control) with different abilities which will be required for you to progress the game.

The story itself is a classic good vs evil plot, but with a lot of twists, both happy and sad. The story starts in an epic proportion, but in the middle it kind of loses a bit of its polish, as in the beginning you are cleansing out the world from evil and eventually, you pause on that plot and do a bit of mundane tasks. Not that I'm saying that they are not bad/boring, it's just that after a while you just want to go back to the main plot to see how it ends up. BUT in the end it grabs again that epic feeling and the game finishes in the same epicness.

The game graphics are inspired on the classic Japanese paintings which can be clearly visible on the game. And many locations from Okami are revisited, but always with something different. But one thing that I did not like on this game is that it is a bit "claustrophobic"... In Okami there are several "overworlds" in which you can explore without any restrictions, but in Okamiden, the overworlds have been cut down, making the otherwise huge overworlds seem fragmented. There is no loading time between the different areas, but when you leave an area it blacks out the screen for a couple of seconds. It may not seem much, but it can start to be annoying to have that pause every single time you change area.

Overall, it is a proper game and it is worthy of being the successor of Okami. And if you played Okami and enjoyed it, then please stop reading and order the game right away. For those who don't like the adventure/explore type of games (Zelda, Okami,...) this game won't probably change your mind, but the use of the touchscreen as the Celestial Brush canvas is a very nice idea, worthy of at least being tried out.
on October 8, 2013
I really enjoy this game. There's a couple elements that effect the ease of game play, but they are only minor. For example, I prefer Okami's method of using the brush techniques (they changed the "rejuvenation" brush stroke to outlining instead of filling in space with ink), and the d-pad can be a little challenging to move around with if you're used to the dualshock controllers on the PS2. You can't change your perspective in game play either. Other than that, OkamiDen is lovely! If you're a fan of the first one, this sequel is well worth your while. There's portions that are exclusive to OkamiDen that are very fun, such as scavenger hunts to find lost items and helping to bring prosperity to a village. I also like the new places you get to see and the partners you meet. I'm sad Issun isn't as major of a character as he was in the first one, but he's around in other ways that can still keep him as a semi-major role in the game. The graphics are just as beautiful, and Chibi is an adorable character to play! Lots of enjoyment to come for you if you decide to purchase OkamiDen.
on August 5, 2011
In order to properly examine the title, you have to keep in mind that it is for Nintendo DS. Thus it has very limited resources to work with when making the game. This in mind, Okami Den is a very good game. It makes good use of the DS's hardware and is, overall, very entertaining.

Sound: The music and sound effects are easily comparable to the original Okami.
Control: Although the D-pad feels a bit cluncky for movement, it isn't bad enough to detract from the gameplay.
Graphics: The style is the same as the original, however they had to use somewhat simpler animations at times with a little less detail so that the DS doesn't have any issues.
Gameplay: Mostly just as fun as the original. The stylus moves (especially the new ones) were well thought out. Although the game doesn't afford you the same large-scale sense of freedom as Okami, They still kept it large enough that it doesn't feel too linear.
Story/Characters: Without spoiling anything, I would say if you loved the original Okami, you'll like this one.

So overall, if you can look past the DS's limitations and you enjoyed Okami, I strongly recommend it.

(also, even though there are references to the original, playing Okami is not a prerequisite for Okami Den, but it does help)
on July 22, 2014
Love the original Okami and this follow up doesn't dissapoint. It is a charming follow up, that takes advantage of the DS, s touch screen making the brush skill feel more organic. Though the enemies and quest tend to get repetitive, I found myself interested in the charming art style and the memorable characters. I recommend it to any Okami fans or anyone who still owns a DS and whose handheld is collecting dust particles. A great game for a great price!
on June 22, 2017
this may target game for my collaction , it was great game, hope it will continue in switch console, thanks
on April 14, 2011
This game is pretty good, and definately worth the $30 that I spent on it. It has really great graphics: Beautiful water-color like japanese style. The game is straight forward about what is needed to be done, and it is fairly easy, but I wouldn't recommend it for really young kids because some of the demon-enemies are kind of creepy. That bieng siad, it is really fun to play, and is along the lines of DragonQuest IX. The characters are cool, and the plot is holding my attention. The only thing that I could complain about is that the game is just a little too easy. I hope this review helps.
on February 21, 2014
I thought the storyline was pretty good, the characters were fun and the dog was absolutely adorable. Some people found having to use the brush was a little bit childish. There was a point where I wasn't hitting the mark and my roommate's 6 year old son grabbed the DS from me and did it correctly, so they could be right! However, it was a fun concept.

The reason why I bought this game was because you could actively fight during battle.....unfortunately, I found this quite annoying with this game and the constant recycling of monsters was SO BORING. They even used the same bosses used at the beginning of the game for the battle at the end. I already fought them, I don't want to fight them again!

I actually haven't finished the game yet only because I had to battle the same bosses again, so that doesn't say much....So basically, great beginning half of the game, boring and annoying the last half.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.