Beauty Books with Buzz Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Carters PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Introducing Fire TV Cube Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

on February 27, 2016
Purchased in December - needed a quality set of slippers, and these had very good average reviews and the pics looked nice. They were a bit more than I expected but I figured you get what you pay for. Not so much here.

The appearance when they arrived was a mixed bag. The material was nice, soft, and seemed sturdy, but a few seams were crooked and the fuzzy inner lining was poking through a few stitch holes. Not a big deal, and they were comfortable - soft inner sole, fluffy liner. Just trimmed the fluff sticking out of stitch holes.

They had a slight glue/chemical/funky smell when they arrived, which grew worse over the first week of wear, then disappeared.

I wore them on average 4-6 hours a day, 5 days a week, mostly sitting. Say 30 minutes of walking or standing around the house daily and in the back yard on our deck. Our house is half hardwood floors and half thick carpet.

Got a drop of chocolate ice cream on them, wiped and washed immediately with cold water and a washcloth, but no luck. They stained. Didn't try running them through a clothes washer, since it was a tiny spot, they were for in the house only and I wasn't sure of the affect that might have. It wasn't a big deal, but if you get some you may want to try scotchguard or something similar.

Disappointed that after about two months, the rubber soles started coming unglued from the sides. They are glued and stitched, so they were still in place, but the seam looked cheap since the glue had discolored the material where it was formerly stuck. You can see some this in the picture.

Then tonight, about week 10, I noticed the bottom sole of one had split open. Not worn through - you can see in the pic that the tread pattern in the rubber sole is still pretty fresh, the rubber just split. I didn't step on a giant shard of glass or an IED, so my only guess is the stress of walking and turning tore it, same as it broke the glue bond.

It's not like I was running and exercising or anything that would put that much strain on them. All I can think is that they were a little wide for my foot and the shifting of my foot inside when walking was more than they could handle.

But at this price, 3 months of lifetime from an indoor pair of shoes under any conditions short of a chew toy for a Rottweiler, is unacceptable.
11 people found this helpful
on November 28, 2013
NOTE: This review is after one year of use. These slippers (bought for my 165 lb. son last December as a Christmas gift) are comfortable and appear well constructed. They were only worn around the house and with socks. However, in less than a year the sole is separating from the side, the stitching is coming apart and the fuzzy insoles are down worn to the foam base leaving large bare spots. I will try to post pictures (slippers are beige in color) so you know what to expect one year later. Normally a person can't complain when their slippers wear out, but for the high price of these (compared to other slippers) I expected them to hold up better. If I knew they would only last a year, I would have bought cheaper ones.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
123 people found this helpful
|66 comments|Report abuse
on October 19, 2016
Bought in Dec. 2014 for Xmas, but hubby didn't start wearing them until about 6 months later (previous pair of another brand were still holding up). They fell apart after about 14 months of wear, indoors only. This was my first time buying this brand, and they looked great at first--and were actually wide enough, which is getting harder to find. Similar slippers used to last him ~3-4 years, but I can no longer find the brand I used to buy in an extra wide, so I tried these. We were surprised when they just completely fell apart. It wasn't like they were slowly showing more & more wear on the soles; they seemed OK and then just boom--garbage. I paid $50 for these, but they fell apart like $20 Wal-Mart slippers. I see now that several other reviewers have had similar poor quality issues with the slippers falling apart. If I could find extra wide (5E!) in another slipper, I'd try them instead. The only others I've found wide enough are "Romeo" style, which my husband can't wear (the top of his instep is very high/thick). Too bad these are apparently poor quality, especially for the price.
5 people found this helpful
on January 11, 2015
Had to change my original review from great to poor. Lasted 7 months and the sole came apart. Usually it is the attachment between the upper and lower, however, this time the sole just broke. Lets see what customer service will do about it. Update: after 5 emails to vendor still no response. Product marginal. Customer service-non existent. Would avoid this brand.
14 people found this helpful
on September 17, 2017
After trying several other slippers that were too small or narrow I was pleased to find that these men's Old Friend moccasin slippers come in wide sizes. I normally wear a 4E width when available, but the choices here were 2E, 3E, and 5E, so I went with the largest. The length was as expected, but the 5E was too generous, so I exchanged for the 2E and that has worked well. The slippers are a little heavy, but I'll take that over flimsy any day. The insole liners on this model are replaceable, but be aware that the replacements may cost $20 to $30. Please note that the lining on the Washington model is acrylic and the insole on that one is NOT replaceable Old Friend Men's Washington Slipper (13 5E US, Chestnut); I guess that's why it costs a bit less. I liked these well enough that I bought a pair for my father, but he thought they were too squishy. The cushioned bottom feels good to me, but that made the free return helpful in his case. I use these mostly for indoor use with an occasional trip to the mailbox.
One person found this helpful
on January 20, 2018
I am very happy with these. As I mention in this review title...someone screwed up and sent a pair without the wool fur inside. I was worried the picture was wrong and the replacement would be the same. But they just arrived and they are perfect!

For months I had been wearing some very cheap slippers that developed holes from my big toes and the back was to low to stay on my heal. I finally threw them away and ordered annother slightly more expensive slippers with fake fur, that made my feet sweat like crazy because they did not breathe at all. I sent those back for a refund, my feet would be soaking wet and stinky after an hour of wearing them.

I looked at the UGG slippers with real fur, since I love my UGG boots and then saw people say OLD FRIEND mocassins were even better and less expensive. So I ordered these.

I was surprised when the first pair they sent me in error was not like the picture and had no wool fur. I was afraid they would repeat the mistake with the replacement pair. No very happy, these are fantastic.

I had also worried about sizing. My foot measures about size 10.7 but sometimes a size 11 is to snug or to big, with so much variation in sizing I was worried they would be too large or to snug. Since reviews said these ran large but the laces solve that problem, or in case they stretch. I went with the 11.

They fit perfect and the wool fur is thick and rich and fantastically comfortable immediately and less then half the cost of the UGG moccasins. The footbed is like a thick memory foam and feels fantastic.

Hopefully they will last a long time.

EDIT: Sad to say, I had to return these too. After two weeks The stitching between the rubber sole and the leather upper started coming apart. It may have been bad luck. I don't know.
on February 7, 2018
I have worn these for two days around the house so I can't return them, but based on what they feel like after two days, I don't think they are going to last very long. If the manufacturer had spent probably $1.00 more in the construction of the sole, they would be more comfortable and feel more substantial. As it is, they just feel cheap, kind of like the super cheap slippers I replaced with these, just made out of natural materials. I wouldn't buy them again. The sizing seems about right, maybe just slightly small, but they have already stretched a bit. If in doubt order a 1/2 size larger, but I'd say to save your money and buy better quality slippers.
Third day update: If you do buy these, I suggest that you buy one width wider than you usually would. Even though the slippers actually fit my medium width feet, the pad underneath isn't wide enough, is probably not going to get any wider with use, and the outer edge of it can easily be felt when walking. This is especially noticeable with the right slipper for some reason, especially when if anything, my left foot is slightly wider. One step wider might help but I maintain my recommendation to skip these. They are very warm though. I want to write something positive since I'll be wearing them.
on December 31, 2016
Comfortable and durable winter slippers in 5E width are hard to find, even from reputable online sources like amazon. Bought first pair of Chestnut color Old Friend moccasins January 2013; husband wore the heck out of them three seasons a year, going from house to garage to mailbox and (not in snow) sometimes keeping them on for errands. Delighted to find replacement pair as Christmas gift, and quality seems the same as original 4 year old mocs. Old ones are still wearable, they do mold to feet, but lining matted down and they look tired; amazing to get 4 years of hard wear out of these. He is enjoying new warmly lined pair as we go thru another long Wisconsin winter.
2 people found this helpful
on August 3, 2015
I saw a lot of differing reviews of the Old Friend Men's Moc before I decided to purchase mine. Several reviewers said that theirs fell apart or did not hold up well. I found this not to be true. Mine have held up very well with no signs of wear, splitting, or other flaws. The fit is very good for a 5E size and they are very comfortable. I am retired and on some days I wear them from the time I get up until I go to bed (although not in the shower!) and they have held up very well to extended use. I also wear them in the yard when I water plants, clean the fountain, etc. and have not had any issues, even with drips of water falling on them. I am a busy person in my garage with several hobbies and I wear them out there, too. I wear them barefoot and am considering buying a slightly larger size for cold weather. My feet were severely injured in a car accident and wear boots when I am going to be on my feet for any length of time but these mocs prove to be comfortable for around the house or to walk to the mail box. All and all, I am very satisfied with the mocs and can recommend them without reservation.
2 people found this helpful
on November 17, 2014
I may have received a faulty product, but one of my 2 slippers has shed (and continues to shed) a great deal. The heal area is completely bare now and every time I pull my foot out of it there is fur flying everywhere. All of this happened within weeks of owning the new and rarely worn slippers.

I contacted the manufacturer and they are unwilling to replace it.
12 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.