Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Old-House Journal Compendium
Your Garage Editors' Picks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Water Sports

78%
22%
Format: Paperback|Change

on May 9, 2008
I loved this invaluable resource! This is the kind of book you can't merely borrow from the library, because you will be referencing it over and over again. I am new to preservation, and have no construction or "handi-woman" experience, and this book was great for me. It gives you very practical do-it-yourself advice, without being unnecessarily hard on your wallet. I am now able to judge what I can and cannot do myself, and make a list of renovation priorities. As I go through my list, I find myself flipping through this book for the basics on renovations I can do myself, and also for good tips on how to find the right contractors for those things I am not cut out for!
on September 6, 2011
Haven't needed to use it in an emergency situation yet, but this collection of newsletters certainly makes for a really interesting read for a new old-house owner. Since it is a collection of newsletters, the chapters read like articles rather than how-to's. I would've hoped that when the newsletters were compiled for the book that the editors would've taken the time to add more instructional depth. Even revisiting the illustrations and diagrams would've been helpful. All in all, this is a great book to sit and learn more about your old home and how to maintain it.
on February 8, 2013
I've owned this book many times over. Anybody who is dealing with an old house restoration or upgrade will treat this one like gold. I've lent it out, lost it, replaced it more times than I can count. ;) Now I just buy the early hardbound editions to keep on hand as an extra for the next person who may love it so much they may not return it. The seller described the condition exactly as stated. It shipped fast. I will most likely buy from them again. Don't hesitate to buy from them. Don't hesitate to buy this book.
on January 19, 2014
For those who rehabilitate and restore historic and/or old homes, this book is a must-have. In a word, it's superb -- one of the finest reference books I've found. I can't imagine where I'd be without it.
on September 22, 2010
This is a great book for new older-home owners. We just purchased an older home (built in the 1800s) and were pleased with the drawings, pictures, and explanations that were included in this guide. We have a long list of repairs to do and feel confident that this author is experienced enough to help us thru all that.
on December 7, 2013
Perfect book for new old home owners. great reference to see "why did they do that" when you are looking trying to accomplish repairs to your home.
on April 13, 2014
There is so much information in this book. It's well written and contains plenty of photos, which is extremely helpful. I'm happy with the purchase.
on January 8, 2013
I bought this book for my son who has purchased a historical home and is redoing it. He had asked for this book and was happy to get it.
on February 24, 2013
The book is great. Thank you. I found it to be in the condition that it was described. I am very pleased.